Ultimatum after applying for job

Do you always end up with an ultimatum to retire from your manager job after applying for a manager job at another team? I've applied for other teams maybe 4 or 5 times since FM09 came out, and it seems like I get this ultimatum every single time.

It would make sense to get put on the spot every now and then, if particular circumstances are there (news leaked out, bad standing with the board etc) but surely not always? I can't imagine clubs always know which kinds of talks their manager has with other clubs...

Does it always happen, or have I just been unlucky?

well your board will certainly not be happy with you declaring your interest in another job, whilst you are still empolyed by them.

That's what I mean. I would understand that. But like I said, I'm sure the board won't be aware of every party their manager is talking to all the time?

When you declare an interest, you are telling the press. So obviously it will be public knowledge, it isn't leaked news.

And I've been offered the ultimatum to resign, but have never been sacked off the back of it.

I noticed the same. I had always taken the chance to resign, but decided to stick it out this time. It's too bad there isn't a way to approach a club with a vacant spot without shouting it out in the media.

fm 10 should have an option where you can get your agent to sound out the job before you apply, like in real life managment.

or if your not happy with the club your managing you can send your agent out looking for clubs

fm 10 should have an option where you can get your agent to sound out the job before you apply, like in real life managment.

or if your not happy with the club your managing you can send your agent out looking for clubs

Yes but speaking to other clubs whilst under contract is normally a breach of contract - i.e. Bruce had to get Birmingham's permission to speak to Sunderland.

I take it depends the slightest bit on what reputation you put yourself start of game. International footballer they'll be begging to keep you if you're at a low league team, then automatic they really couldn't care less.

If that's the case, after a while I would assume it starts to depend on your achievements with the team though. Even if you start as automatic, your reputation will rise.

It would also be good to add to that when a club wants you to manage them they have to seek permission to speak to you as they do in real life. So when as Lazio manager Inter came calling they should have had to seek permission to talk to me rather than simply offering me a contract and hope I will accept.

I think it would be interesting if your current club could force you to stay, I'm sure this is possible in real life. In addition to refusing to accept your resignation. I don't know if this is a circumstance where fun & playability must take priority over realism for SI & FM fans though.

Archived