Do you rename your staff?

I dont use nicknames that way - it's a bit like naming streets #14 - very dull. What I do is give supporters' spokespersons the nicknames of my friends and family. Harmless fun.

Ha i never even realised you could nickname the supporters' spokespersons! Might change it to a mate's name but then i might stop respecting their opinion!

Always. Scouts I have them as 'Scout: General - 15/15/14 where the numbers represent the Determination/Judging Ability/Judging Potential. Scout: Youth General 14/11/19 or Scout: Follow-up 4/20/17. All depends on what they do. My highest tactical knowledge scout is Scout; Match Report

As for Coaches, I have them simply Coach: Defending, Coach: Ball Control, etc.

My ass man is the only one with a true nickname.

Yep. all my staff are nicknamed.

Coaches are:

[LastName] [Role][starRating]

eg

Rendell Att5s

Ed Sho6s

Assistant is

Perez AsMan a20/p20

Physios are

Physio [#] phy[##]

eg

Physio 1 phy20

Physio 2 phy19

Scouts are

Sc [Position] ability##/potential##

eg

Sc ST a20/p20

Sc MR a20/p20

As I have about 12 scouts, and I scout the main countries in europe by position.

I change my scouts nickname to their nationality which is also where they are scouting.

I also change the nickname of the best regen coming through the academy according to my ass man ie 'best newcomer 09/10'

I used to nickname my scouts with their name followed by the values for judging ability and judging potential.

"Allan Scout 16,18"

Then i realized that the scouts attributes weren't set in stone and that they can change over time. So i stopped. Now i just check once or twice per season who the best scout is and have him doing all the individual scouting.

What's the point of naming Scouts ? Or any staff member for that matter.

Fun, perhaps.. but other than that no real use.

1. Stats change throughout the season, you're going to keep updating the name ?

2. I don't know if Nationality affects anything related to Scouting.. I think it doesn't.

3. Just sack the bad scouts/coaches and you'll have the best ones in the club.

Well.. there are coaches that are very good in a particular field (like Attacking), that would be a good idea to add "Att" to his name (or just Attack as his name).

Other than that.. you're just doing extra work for minimal or no return

I always rename my coaches f.e. DEF 5, ATT 6 etc. Unfortunately coaches in FM are suffering from alzheimers and are loosing their knowledge instead of gaining it so you have to rename them every year.

What's the point of naming Scouts ? Or any staff member for that matter.

Fun, perhaps.. but other than that no real use.

When a contract comes up for renewal or a note comes up saying "Francis Ferdinand is set to retire." I don't have to click on their profile to see their stats page, then to the training screen, then the coach tab and look at star ratings to see that he was the Set Piece Coach I hired 3 season ago.

1. Stats change throughout the season, you're going to keep updating the name ?

Yes. I'll look through my staff at the end of a season and see if any of their stats are dropping or increasing. Then I'll update them. Let's me know if scout reports received are more accurate or if they are losing their skill and should be considered for replacement in the near future.

2. I don't know if Nationality affects anything related to Scouting.. I think it doesn't.

AFAIK, it affects not only the likelihood of success in finding players in that region, but also the number that he'll find as well.

All of this was assuming you were trying to find the best staff to begin with.

Well.. there are coaches that are very good in a particular field (like Attacking), that would be a good idea to add "Att" to his name (or just Attack as his name).

Other than that.. you're just doing extra work for minimal or no return

Slightly more streamlined play with less clicks, information given to you at a glance and a benchmark to measure the improvement (or otherwise) of your staff. I'd say the return is worth the 5 minutes to set this up.

To each their own...

You make some good points :)

Although, the scout's nationality has no effect on his ability to find players - at least I didn't find anything to suggest it in the manual.

As I manage in Spain a lot, I get a lot of regens with like 3 or 4 names and I set a nickname to shorten their name, it's just cosmetic though.

The manual says that assigning them to countries they know well will let them do their best work. It also says that this will not 'neccessarily' lead them to find more/better players, but I think the implication is that they will.

2. Each scout has degree of knowledge for each region, usually their nationality. This means that you can often get away with requesting a "scout report" only rather than sending them to actually scout the guy, and you get a rough answer that is more likely to be accurate, and reveal a couple of attributes if they are all hidden. If I like the look of the player, I will send the scout to do it properly. It's just a shortcut more than anything.

3. You can't do that unless you are a top club or have quite a bit of cash. I once sacked all my scouts when I took over a relegation-threatened Fulham, but the only scouts who would sign for me were inferior to the ones I fired.

I can't believe I never thought of this before, I may start doing this with my youth team to mark who I think will be able to make their way into my first team in the future.

Great idea. It was what I do with my incoming youths. Look at the scouting reports and I pick who looks like an exciting propect. I'll then assign a 'nickname' to them that includes their real name and their star ratings. Like:

Oscar Recio **/*****

This shows that he has a current 2 star ability with a potential 5 star. Certainly helps sort through all of the 'new names' when I get match reports from my U19's/Reserve games to know if my Hot Prospects are performing. Also exciting when I get to add another * next to their name. Obviously I delete this addition once they are playing full-time on the first team.

I know a lot of people do it with scouts. For example, if they have 20 JPA & 19 JPP the person will rename them [20-19].

That's exactly what I do. Also, if I switch clubs, its useful to know which club the scout was at when he made the report, or whether a Scout, a Coach, or an AM made the report. So if I had a scout named Cliff Floyd, I'd probably rename him to something like:

York S Cliff Floyd 14/16

i once renamed 1 of my center backs "sicknote"...

he never played more than 10 games a season and was on on a long term contract . in the end he retired at 31 and became my first team coach....

some mothers do have em. johnyyy woodgate that is ;)

Archived