how to make it fun to start as a big club manager

Personally i think it's pretty pointless to start the game managing a top side with lot of cash to spend.

Take Man U, Sir Alex already won 3 leagues in a row, and were the defending CL champs at the start of FM09. with a squad of great players and lot of cash. so where's the challenge? to the best you could level up with his achievement and add another CL and Prem title to the collection.

on the other hand though, i do understand fans love to managing their favourite club. so it's not exactly Man U fans' false when their team have been successful in reality.

so how to managing ur favourite team when it happens they are a rich and successful side?

personally, i'd use the editor to shift my favourite side (Arsenal) with a League Two side. and start the game from the bottom of the professional league. to give myself a mission to save the club and lead them back to the glory days.

to make it more real, remove all the first team players with editor, and reset the finance to 0.

this way, u will have a good challenge while managing ur favourite side.

i done that at the past, haven't been doing this with this year's FM though (currently managing York City). but i figure this should be fun.

just an idea.

"Personally i think it's pretty pointless to start the game managing a top side with lot of cash to spend. "

That's you; not everyone shares your attitude. Why not contribute to this thread instead of starting a new one:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=127580

Who starts as a world beating side?

of course i know not everyone shares my attitude, that's why i call it "just an idea". not like i m forcing anyone to do so.

not something id like to do as i preffer realism so arsenal or man u in the league 2 just doesnt work for me, but there is just as much a challenge when you go the big clubs, like living up to expectations! winning the league, league cup, reaching the final of the Champs league and FA cup isnt as easy as you make out, even with a super squad and mega money!! now try doing it 2-3 years on the run, i bet you would be sacked by season 2!

Its a good idea... a new way to play the game.

But its not something i'd want to do, plus trying to work the editor on a mac is a chore at best, would take forever and im not that familar with it so wouldn't really know where to begin lol.

Its a good idea... a new way to play the game.

But its not something i'd want to do, plus trying to work the editor on a mac is a chore at best, would take forever and im not that familar with it so wouldn't really know where to begin lol.

pretty simple when you know how, i know you said you wernt interested but for anybody that is here is how to do it

load your editor

select competitions and do a search for the english premier division

then select 'teams'

select the team you want to remove from the EPL and click swap then type the name of the team to swap them with (League swap complete)

Now click 'clubs' from the list on the left and search the team to remove the players

Double click the team and select staff/players

click the players tab and start from the top pressing 'delete on your keyboard until all players are removed

Save the database as a new save (File,Save database As)

Load up your game select your new database and there you go

Here's an idea for the original poster - how about your challenge yourself by changing things slightly. For example, with Man Utd make it a rule that you can only sign players who are (or will be after the requisite years) home grown players. This basically restricts you to spotting the best youth talent and buying British players which is quite a challenge.

Also, Man Utd have lots of cash? Not sure about that one, later in the game unless you are winning everything you may go bankrup because of their debt!

How about trying to win the treble without spending a penny on transfers? I think thats a hefty task even with a top club.

I don't really buy that managing big clubs isn't a challenge, with big clubs come big expectations and if you dont meet thier high standards you'll be shown the door, you're also limited to a small timeframe to make things happen for the club.

What about rebuilding a top club like chelsea with alot of elder experienced players into a under-21 title winning side? battling between rebuilding the team and trying to win trophies to not get sacked would surely be challenging.

To be honest theres plenty of ways to make managing a big club fun, just set yourself a personal challenge.. everything doesn't have to be Lower league just to be fun and challenging.

To be honest theres plenty of ways to make managing a big club fun, just set yourself a personal challenge.. everything doesn't have to be Lower league just to be fun and challenging.

I agree. Just got to be creative. Personally, I love managing at the higher end of the leagues - its more pressure and you can build a team of superstars (provided you aren't following any no-transfer/ u-21 signings rules).

Another challenge I find entertaining is to try and bring through a youth player every season and sell him for £15m or more. Challenging but can be done.

Archived