Players becoming staff?

Just as the title says, this thread is about players becoming staff.

I can't seem to figure out what causes certain players to become staff members after their playing careers are over, does anyone have any idea?

if you go into player interaction you can tell the media you think a player will be well suited to be a scout or a coach or a manager. ive done that with maldini and inzaghi and what i did was mention they would make a good coach every few months until their responses were that they are definitely staying in the game once they retire

Half of my staff in my team are ex players.

Most players already have attributes on what job they would want when they would retire. As stated above, however i think it works for every staff role.

When you create a new player in the DB - you have the option to put staff roles to levels. If the player has the staff role at 20, they will pretty much definitely go onto becoming that when they retire. However, these attributes build up over the players career, and are not there instantly. When I created Real London for the CSE community project, I put all players to having a staffing role (so that when they retired they would remain with the club) - because I put all the attributes to 20, each 16 year old player had the "Would like to try his hand at "staff role" when he retires." - Because they're 16, it led me to believe that these stats perhaps all start at 0, and a random generator dictates if they become staff or not. However, if a player in his 30's has the "Unsure as to weather he will stay in the game" tag in his personal screen, you can use the media to suggest he may be a good staff member. This will either make him "definitely not going to stay in the game once his playing days are over" or "is considering taking up 'staff role' in the future"

Some players don't have that at all, and still become coaches and stuff, though :D

Later in the game you see alot more 'Definatly not going to stay in football when he retires", but you can over turn this with some players. Akinfeev had this at my club and after saying he would be a good coach and him saying he just wanted to concentrate on football his status turned to "Probably not going to stay in the game when he retires".\

From here on I just kept recommending him to be a coach once a month and now hes going to stay in the game. I also did the same with Zapata as I really want my long serving players to be coaches or an assman at the club.

Tons of familiar players become staff.

Stevie G was a youth coach at Tottenham

Sammi Hypia, youth coach (I signed him as defensive coach)

Les Ferdinand, coach (bizzarly he's a defensive coach)

Bennie McCarthy, coach (I signed him - he's great)

Patrick Vierra, coach then manager at Portsmouth before heading to Juve.

Paul Robinson, GK coach

Gary Neville, top coach, becomes manager (can't remember where).

Frank Lampard, coach then manager.

Joe Cole, coach at Crystal Palace.

That's just off the top of my head, though. In my 2015 save I took over a relegated Portsmouth and every one of the coaches I brought in were ex-players. It felt nice.

• 6 months later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but does anyone know what determines the staff attributes a player gets after turning into a coach/manager/what-have-you after retirement? I find it pretty easy to convince them to stay in the game, but can't make out any pattern to suggest why one player becomes a great coach and another a bad one. Is this all randomized, or are there links to playing attributes, CA/PA, etc? It'd be nice to be able to somehow tell if you should try to get them to become scouts, coaches, or even managers; right now which one to pick is just guesswork for me. :o

Pretty sure its a new random PA/CA Scab. Staff have PA/CA just like players do. The player mentality is what drives them to become the staff role they choose. Sometimes it can be annoying though. I had 1 guy who was AMAZING for the scout role, only accept a coach role. He would have been the best scout at the club, but was never willing to discuss terms for the position I was offering :thdn:

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but does anyone know what determines the staff attributes a player gets after turning into a coach/manager/what-have-you after retirement? I find it pretty easy to convince them to stay in the game, but can't make out any pattern to suggest why one player becomes a great coach and another a bad one. Is this all randomized, or are there links to playing attributes, CA/PA, etc? It'd be nice to be able to somehow tell if you should try to get them to become scouts, coaches, or even managers; right now which one to pick is just guesswork for me. :o

That's kinda true in real life though. How do you know a great player will make a great coach or manager?

That's kinda true in real life though. How do you know a great player will make a great coach or manager?

Determination stays the same when a player becomes a staff; a player with 18 determination will also have 18 determination as a staff. So I tend to only encourage players with high determination to go on to be staff since high determination helps increase the number of stars they have in coaching and also in helping them get to their maximum PA.

So that's really the only key thing I look out for. I'll say its easier to tell whether a top player will become a top manager in FM than in real life.

Archived