Who Classes FMRTE as Cheating ?

Do you think FMRTE is Cheating ?  

263 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think FMRTE is Cheating ?

• Yes
    • No

For me .. its a no , in my mind some players are begging to be 'modded' ..

i wouldn't dream of making everyone a 20 in my team .. i simply use it to change the attributes of players i think SI have got wrong .

Heres a few :

- Macheda

- Possebon

- Gibson

- Gibbs

- Lennon

- Dempsy

There's loads more that i tinker with ..

what about you guys ?

Definitely cheating in every sense of the word.

Macheda isn't a future superstar at all - he has ALOT to prove. Against Everton and Hull (the only two games he's actually started I believe) he's been useless.

Possebon is actually a really good player on FM09 when he develops. He plays all the time for top Serie A sides including Fiorentina on my main save (in fact, I signed him for my Ternana side.)

Even if they WERE underrated, that's part of the game and the research. To alter it is to alter the game by an unintended means.

Who cares?

I edit if I feel like it.

Sometimes this involves giving a random club oodles of cash and seeing what happens, or buffing the stats of random players. (Like making the real Ronaldo a god again.)

Then sometimes I just improve players I think are underrated.

Who cares?

I edit if I feel like it.

Sometimes this involves giving a random club oodles of cash and seeing what happens, or buffing the stats of random players. (Like making the real Ronaldo a god again.)

Then sometimes I just improve players I think are underrated.

I should say on that point, that if you're doing it for experimental purposes it's a good tool.

Better off editing before you start personally I dont do it but I can understand why people would. We all have our own ideas on what someones stats should be like, I tihnk if you are editing people down aswell as up then its not really cheating. Even if it is its your game.

I like to use it to edit other teams' stats. Like players who have become good this season in real life but haven't been rated well in the game.

I don't really like to see players who start every game in real life rotting in the reserves or something like that. Or if someone is one of the best corner takers in the league but he has a 10 for them, I'd like to change it.

I don't think it's cheating as long as you don't use it on your own team.

I only use it to change kits everyonce in a while, like IRL. Keeps things interesting for me at least. Also for updated sponserships etc, because the game is terrible at it and to see if my new "Greatest player of his generation" is actually going to be the next greatest player of his generation only to be disappointed everytime. I look at PA and CA for about 5 seconds but then feel really dirty about it.

To be honest, theres been some poor research done by some of the nations researchers; Adem Ljajic and Zoran Tosic spring to mind instantly. Prior to whatever patch they were updated in, they were average players at Partizan and didn't leave in any of my games. Both still have a lot to prove in real life, but neither were touted as potential prospects in the game data. Unless you wanna wait around for an update, an editor is the only way to reflect real life.

I said before in another thread, what is cheating? It seems a very touchy subject for some but how many of these players (halo over head etc) have made sure that they steered clear of every topic about current players, wonderkids, future world class etc etc.

Surely if you see a post that says "buy Joe Bloggs he becomes world class" then surely thats cheating. Whether you use and editors, research the wonder tactic, download a training schedule it can be classed the same.

Me, well i havent used it but i have read the forums etc. Maybe using it for amending attributes is a good thing, i know there are researchers who do a good job but nobody on this planet is perfect and mistakes get made.

I don't think it is cheating to use FMRTE or any other Editor to alter the game. I do think it is cheating to claim that you achieved something through gameplay that was actually achieved through editing the game.

I used the Data Editor to increase John Flecks consistency, because I enjoy watching him play football when he is near his PA and alongside a good team. Some of his stuff is just magical, but his consistency meant he does not perform as often as I would like to see. I did not fancy being his manager for 20 seasons wishing his consistency was higher, so I changed it to enjoy my game more.

If I then claim that my offensive football is the result of genius tactics, man management and player development alone then I would be lying.

I also have another save, one where I start off as a LLM and it is the original 9.3.0 database with no tweaks whatsoever. One save is my management challenge, the other is my management fantasy and that is how I play FM09.

Who is getting cheated in a single player game?

You're cheating yourself.

This is a management simulation and as such an edited database makes the simulation less realistic.

Take SFraser for example - editing John Flecks' consistency. The fact is, the research team has deemed that John Fleck doesn't perform amazingly every game, in accordance with reality. Therefore, if you alter him, then you aren't simulating the management of John Fleck within your side. It's exactly the same as saying "well John Fleck doesn't do it often enough... I'll edit the game so Lionel Messi is in my Rangers side instead!"

I can't think of any one situation where using an in-game editor makes any sense whatsoever if you plan on playing the game the way it's meant to be played. If you're using the SI provided editor to change around the leagues etc. so you want to create a weird challenge, then that's different - you're playing it in your own way. If you want to create a team of "All 20's" and see how well you can win the league, fine. But if you do that and cheer at your brilliance for winning a title, then sorry, you've "cheated" yourself!

EDIT: SFraser - the management fantasy thing is fine - I used the Fleck example as an example if somebody did it and thought it was "OK because Fleck should be that consistent anyway" lol

Lol i had that issue with John Fleck in my newcastle team, he would come on every now and then and produce something magical. but he didnt do it everytime and it frustrated me. You know how i solved the problem? Sold him for £9M and watched him have fun at a worse club.

I think it is cheating in a way, it just depends how you are using it. But i would personally class it as cheating - however thats not to say i havnt done it once or twice. On the last FM i used to edit Kerlon, Maradona and Laudrup so they were amazing.

Incidentally going off topic, how naff is Kerlon in this game? hes normally class, but i accept injuries have meant he isnt as good in real life. But :o, he retired at the age of 25 on my game.

Who decides that player X is overrated/underrated ? The community ? Well then, there are plenty of data updates made by that community for you to enjoy.

FMRTE is a tool you use to express your personal view on player X, in other words, bias :)

No way in hell that you're going through players around Europe (or where ever you play) and change their stats according to real life.

Did you change half of Real Madrid's squad to be of BSP quality ? I think not.

There's no doubt about it that it's cheating, but it's not like there's something wrong with it - the game was created so you could have fun playing it, I doubt there's a bigger picture here.. it's all down to fun.

Just don't try to convince yourself that it isn't cheating, like you do it to make it more realistic.. meh

You're cheating yourself.

This is a management simulation and as such an edited database makes the simulation less realistic.

Take SFraser for example - editing John Flecks' consistency. The fact is, the research team has deemed that John Fleck doesn't perform amazingly every game, in accordance with reality. Therefore, if you alter him, then you aren't simulating the management of John Fleck within your side. It's exactly the same as saying "well John Fleck doesn't do it often enough... I'll edit the game so Lionel Messi is in my Rangers side instead!"

I can't think of any one situation where using an in-game editor makes any sense whatsoever if you plan on playing the game the way it's meant to be played. If you're using the SI provided editor to change around the leagues etc. so you want to create a weird challenge, then that's different - you're playing it in your own way. If you want to create a team of "All 20's" and see how well you can win the league, fine. But if you do that and cheer at your brilliance for winning a title, then sorry, you've "cheated" yourself!

EDIT: SFraser - the management fantasy thing is fine - I used the Fleck example as an example if somebody did it and thought it was "OK because Fleck should be that consistent anyway" lol

Its a single player game. LOL at the idea of cheating yourself. If a person wants to use a 3rd party editor because it makes the experience more fun for them, more power to them. In the end, we are all simply playing to have fun.

once you start a game you're sort of negating real life... you have a snapshot of real life you start with and the rest is your game... it is a game. if you want to improve players do it in the main editor before you play and if you're not cheating do it for players in teams you don't plan to manage too. But really, it's your game so who cares if you're cheating? Just don't do it on the networked ones ;)

I don't think it's cheating. Editing your entire team to 200PA is ruining the game imo, but it's not "cheating". Unless you call winning everything with your 200PA players with no effort cheating yourself, but if you really get something out of it, go for it.

I use it for editing kits, and recently have had to use it to get a semblance of realism in my stadium, as a club playing in a non-owned stadium, and come up the divisions, entering the Premier League with a 12.5k stadium isn't realistic. I upgraded it to 15k, then 19k and 20k once we hit the top 4 (15k season tickets). I'm still expecting a new stadium this season, and I won't be upgrading it myself any more, as I believe the game will sort itself out and give me the new stadium + debt.

I also had to use it to fix the pitch. Being non-owners, I can't ask for it to be relaid. So it degrades to the point of going below 10 rating for pitch condition. Pitch condition is out of 200 (Arsenal have 200, most of the EPL teams have over 190).

It doesen't really matter. I cheat all the time putting my players stats to 20 and i win cups n bcum the best manager. Some people like 2 cheat some people dont its up to them u cant rule their life now juz let them cheat to their hearts content

edit them before you start your game if you think there wrong not when it suits you using a RTE

You might be well into a campaign. I used it to reduce the determination atts of Newcastle players!

The poll is way to simplistic so I can't vote.

1. It depends how you use it.

2. So what?

You might be well into a campaign. I used it to reduce the determination atts of Newcastle players!

But once you press continue the game moves away from real life, the more you play the further it gets.

So in RL towards the end of the season you may feel that Newcastle players had low determination but in your save they might be challenging for the title and not displaying those same trends.

Taking an extreme example, say Messi. In RL most people will accept he is one of the best players in the world currently but say in your save he has one or two serious injuries which reduces both his PA & CA and hence his stats. Would you then use FMRTE to increase them again to the level he is in RL??

The poll is way to simplistic so I can't vote.

1. It depends how you use it.

2. So what?

I voted yes but would have preffered the number 1 option above :thup:

But once you press continue the game moves away from real life, the more you play the further it gets.

So in RL towards the end of the season you may feel that Newcastle players had low determination but in your save they might be challenging for the title and not displaying those same trends.

Taking an extreme example, say Messi. In RL most people will accept he is one of the best players in the world currently but say in your save he has one or two serious injuries which reduces both his PA & CA and hence his stats. Would you then use FMRTE to increase them again to the level he is in RL??

In the latter I wouldn't; in the former I was still in my first season (it takes me 12 days of gametime to complete each season) - I assessed that during the 2008/09 season IRL Newcastle players demonstrated far less determination than their in-game attributes reflected, so I lowered them.

What actually happened was that they initially plummeted, not winning in over 12 games, sacked Shearer and brought in Hodgson. He turned them around and they finished mid-table despite the lower DET atts.

As I hinted at in my point #2 - it's my game, it gave me pleasure, so there! :p

Archived