Players getting too few appearances

Anyone noticed this? There are a few players in the game, with pretty good reputation that get few appearances in a season. This happens specially to youngsters, even those who are well known such as Nani, Anderson, Marcelo and even Pato, all of them play less than 20 league matches in first season.

There's also the case of players who are bought by a good sum of money but rarely plays.

How come those players aren't as used by AI managers as they're in real life? I suspect it might be caused by the few number of injuries in the last patch, as first teamers don't get injured much, so those back-up players don't get too many games. Or it's just screwed up AI. Probably a combination of both though.

I hope this get looked at by SI for FM10 as this been bugging me since FM08.

Personally i love to play with young guns but let's face it there are some games where you can't rely on the youth, i use rotation also but a player aged 21 is no more youth to me i tend to use them heavily all season long.

it's not the first time we see the AI manage it's team poorly.

I've seen much worse, like Arsenal spending 44mil on Miguel Veloso in the peak of his career and playing him twice all season in 2 sub appearences (he didnt have any injuries or anything either)

My guess is it probably has something to do with the game's kinder attitude to older players. In previous versions a player past 31 was looking at two frustrating years of rotting in the reserves followed by a move another club and another year of rotting before retirement.

Looking around in FM09 I find that older player's stats degenerate a hell of a lot faster, they retire at an older age and that they even sign new contracts to keep playing for clubs at the top level. I guess this translates into younger players losing out.

How come those players aren't as used by AI managers as they're in real life?

What about Tosic or Pique at Man Utd? Or the countless legions of promising young players who are bought for generous sums, move to the top level and stagnate because of a lack of games.

Personally I think it's fine.

i agree that it happens too much, especially massive signings not getting any games. If a team spends 30 million on a player he is going to get at least 15-20 games to try and prove himself IRL, but the AI don't evaluate their squads properly.

Also they don't play youngers players enough IMO, in my game Pato didn't get played much and so ended up in Milan reserves and an average player

i agree that it happens too much, especially massive signings not getting any games. If a team spends 30 million on a player he is going to get at least 15-20 games to try and prove himself IRL, but the AI don't evaluate their squads properly.

Also they don't play youngers players enough IMO, in my game Pato didn't get played much and so ended up in Milan reserves and an average player

Well, as much as I think that the FM transfer system is broken, this is something you see so much in football that I'm surprised that you're surprised :). How many times have you seen a club IRL pay millions for a player only to let them rot in reserves? Quaresma (multiple times), Tiago (Juve), Forlan (Man U), etc.

Well, as much as I think that the FM transfer system is broken, this is something you see so much in football that I'm surprised that you're surprised :). How many times have you seen a club IRL pay millions for a player only to let them rot in reserves? Quaresma (multiple times), Tiago (Juve), Forlan (Man U), etc.

Forlan played 27 games before his 1st goal, hardly rotting in the reserves, Tiago has played over 20 games for Juve. and yes Quaresma has not played many games about 10 fro Inter but he then got shipped out, didn't send the whole season on the bench.

THe thing is in FM it is not transfer mistakes as such, big teams buy players who have done very well and are good but then they just give them no opportunities. IRL players get dropped for not performing, in FM they just aren't played at all from the start.

It's a problem with the AI. AI managers don't rotate enough and persist with aging players at the expense of younger ones. What's more, they rarely buy young players for the future. It needs to be addressed in FM10.

I think this is a very valid point and something that does need to be addressed. Take Man Utd as an example, in 2013 you still have Scholes, Giggs and Neville all playing at 36/37. Whilst we don't have a definitive date when these players will retire/leave Man Utd IRL I'm sure most people can take an educated guess of summer 2010. Maybe even this summer.

Also, AI managers seem to play the first choice XI all the time. Fine for mid-ranked prem teams (Bolton etc) but for the big four it should be rotated. When did you last see Wenger playing a first teamer in the second round of the league cup?

AI managers persist with aging players at the expense of younger ones.

Do you have any idea why this is ?

My guess is AI Managers select players based on 1 of thier ratings, ie Ability, Position Rating or somesuch ...

If we can identify how AI managers do what they do, then it makes it easier to think of ways to try and get the system improved.

just look at man city. In my game they went out and bought a whole new starting XI and promptly dropped their current players to the reserves. Players like sturridge, evans and johnson were all dropped, not registered for european competition. However go and try and buy them and they want 20mil+. Like im going to pay that for johnson who would be at best a backup in my liverpool side.

All three of those players i mentioned as well as onuoha didnt play a single game all year

I must admit i am completely guilty like the AI for doing this !!! I buy younger players to replace the older players at my man utd team and the dafing out period is taking longer than i thought (due to sentimental reasons lol) So i have a reserve team worthy of any first team of a mid to lower prem team of youngsters!!!!

Archived