How easy is it for a manager's contract to be renewed?

Guest josh9393

Guest josh9393

Over the past few months, I have really started to get annoyed with how rarely manager's contracts are not extended, and therefore how few management opportunities come up during the close season.

In my current game, Pep Guardiola has gone the first four years of his Barcelona management career without winning a single trophy or even getting to a single European final. This year, they were knocked out of the Champions League by Galatasaray in the First Knockout Round, and 2 years ago finished 23 points behind Real Madrid in La Liga. Despite this, Guardiola's contract has been extended twice. Would this really happen in real life?

In Italy, Juventus have also failed to win a single trophy, with only one Italian Cup Final appearance, and one second place finish in Serie A. Ranieri's contract has also been extended. It is the same case with Liverpool. In Germany, FC Bayern haven't won the title for 3 years, but Klinsmann is still manager.

Sorry to go on a bit with all these examples, but I just wanted to emphasise how hard it is for a manager to be sacked or have his contract not renewed at the end of a poor season, even when the expectations for a club such as Barcelona are so high. Should this be something that is looked at for 2010 or 2011?

Thanks.

Guest josh9393
Perhaps, however, in most cases in my game, contracts have been terminated and not extended for clubs underachieving.

Yes that does happen, but more often for the clubs in the bottom half of the table who are facing relegation (and perhaps shouldn't be), rather than the big clubs who are not winning trophies or generally progressing.

Archived