Bring back the fanzines!

As I used to enjoy reading the Bootroom FM fanzine I was disappointed to hear that they have stopped making it. I thought it would be a great idea if people on this forum would like to start to make a new fanzine for FM.

I really like this idea but I believe we would need a few people who are good at graphics, a few good at writing and just a few dedicated FM fans to help start to make this fanzine.

I would like to start this Asap but of course we need people who are interested in writing articles, guides and also people who are very good at graphics to make this all come together.

I thought that in the fanzine we could include articles, stories from the forums, guides from FM websites( with the peoples permission of course) and skin reviews (Basically like what the Bootroom did).

I would be interested to hear what people think about this and whether people want to get involved and give this a go?

A lot of people have flung ideas around and started but I think in the end the projects have just lacked commitment/contribution from what I've seen, just getting it off the ground would probably be the hardest part.

IMO, the format would have to be updated for it to be successful these days - maybe a bit more bloglike than following the magazine style - or a mix of the two. Part of the issue of making something like that is it'd be a lot of work if not many people were reading it, but perhaps a blog-style site would make it viable... *shrugs*

I've been chatting to a few people about the possibility of a fanzine-style site (same content, presented as blogs or similar - think the way sites like Blender work) - if there's interest I would be happy to back it up - ie provide the site and means for posting/displaying material etc, but I don't have the time or knowledge really to run the content side, organise people to post articles etc - so if anybody does have large amounts of time on their hands and wants to see this sorta thing back... there seem to be a fair few up for submitting content just not with the time to actually take the lead

I read the last bootroom an enjoyed it, but then it dissapeared without a trace.

They drafted me in to do the editing and proof-reading, which I was really enjoying. Problem is, it requires far greater commitment than you can imagine and the main guys had too much on - one just had a baby (well his missus did).

I loved the Bootroom - the sheer quality of writing and presentation was so high. I'd love either it to come back or a new fanzine of similar quality; what I'm saying is that anyone who commits to doing one needs to be realistic about the enormous workload and dedication required.

Archived