My view of the FM-franchise

I find it a little unnecessary to get a brand new version of Football Manager every new year. Many reviewers also complain that the improvements made each year are minor, and that while a stunning game, buying every new version yearly is not really worth the full-price cost. Wouldn´t it be better to release a brand new Football Manager game say every 3-4 year with major improvements (I count the new 3D-engine as such, for example), and release yearly lower-priced expansion packs including the new season updates?

For example:

Football Manager 2007

Football Manager 07/08

Football Manager 08/09

Football Manager 2010

That way people would not need to pay full price every year for some minor adjustments and updated squads, and the game would not wear out it´s welcome between the major new versions?

I don't think I'd be able to cope with it. After a year I think lots of people get bored of the old FM and want a new one to motivate them to play it. I think doing this even though it's a brilliant idea may harm the amount of people playing the game :(

Remember that SI are in this as a business and releasing a new version every year makes commercial sense. There are differing views on how quickly the buyers want a new version, but I suspect that a large % say that they would be happy to stick with the version they have and then still buy the new game when it comes out.

i think that could only happen if si charged enough money for the updates to make a profit. Because think about it, if they provide those updates for free they go eithout major sales for a few years, they would probably go bankrupt, they'd only be getting money from fml.

But since i presume a lot of FM-players (including myself) don´t buy every yearly version, they might actually get better profit this way. If the seasonal updates were charged as a regular expansion pack, I think most FM-players would buy them. It would be more fair to their customers as well.

I think they should do an FM each year for the people that want it but also feel they should do patches for the old game with the new team line up's and such this way Everyone can enjoy FM Dependin on the version people want to play.

I think they should do an FM each year for the people that want it but also feel they should do patches for the old game with the new team line up's and such this way Everyone can enjoy FM Dependin on the version people want to play.

Good idea, maybe have seasonal updates as downloadable "booster packs" for a fair price! :thup:

I cannot ever see them doing this, as they are a business and they would have to spend time on making the new patches as well as a new game. This would take away time from making the actual game, which I for one, do not want them to do. They are a business (and a successful one I believe with FM) and so why change what is working for them. As regards to updates that people want, there are unofficial ones out there I believe (although I am not sure if they are usually for the next season) or there is the editor, you could do it yourself if you wanted the updates that much

Nah..what they do gives them the best possible profit IMO at the moment. Full price game every year with only minor tweaks here and there to cut down on development cost.

Could get them in trouble pretty soon since both FIFA (for those that like sims like garbage in a management game) and CM (probably the only real competition) are rapidly improving while FM has been moving sideways since cm03/04. FM still has the community that gives them a good player database.

Archived