Regens at Barcelona

I don't get any good regens at Barcelona. I am in 2017/2018 and I have only got one desent player all this time. And this is from a youth system that has produced some great players. Do you guys get any good once in your clubs and do you do anything to get them. Coaches? and so on. I have seen some great players that someone have got from their own ranks, and more then one, on the forum

It's not short of spanish regen who are good also. But many of them seem to start of in an other country.

They are few and far between, but when they do come they're excellent.

To be fair, in reality there's not really that many home-grown "superstars" from Barcelona. Lionel Messi, yes, but he's not Spanish!

They've had one really good one on my game called Saul Ortega, but he's not "sensational". Spanish international midfielder and a Barca first teamer though!

Forgot about Xavi and Iniesta bizarrely. Puyol... amazing I forgot about him!

I guess my mind just switches off the term "home grown" when they get over the age of 25!!!

I think it's reasonable to expect one, perhaps two, "very good" players as a regen every five or six years.

I would call Messi home grown seeing as he's been there since he was 13(IIRC)

Iniesta, Xavi, Bojan, Messi, Puyol, Valdes, Pique, Busquets, Jorquera in their squad then theres Fabregas(Arsenal), Arteta(Everton), Reina(Liverpool), F.Navarro(Sevilla), Sergio Garcia(Betis), Luis Garcia(At.Madrid), Dos Santos(Tottenham), Gabri(Ajax), De la Pena(Espanyol) and it would'nt surprise me if theres more

Then theres the up and coming Yago/Iago/Lago(Juventus) or whatever his name is and Fran Merida(Arsenal)

Even their manager is home grown, both as a player and as a manager.

Barca and Real Madrid should be boosted somehow so that they get more quality regens

They are few and far between, but when they do come they're excellent.

To be fair, in reality there's not really that many home-grown "superstars" from Barcelona. Lionel Messi, yes, but he's not Spanish!

They've had one really good one on my game called Saul Ortega, but he's not "sensational". Spanish international midfielder and a Barca first teamer though!

Half of Barça is home grown :)

It's just bad luck, though, regarding the poor regens.

But you do realize that you need to let them peak at their own time, you can't expect to have a Messi popping every once in a while... Even the "crappy" regens can perform quite well.

Half of Barça is home grown :)

It's just bad luck, though, regarding the poor regens.

But you do realize that you need to let them peak at their own time, you can't expect to have a Messi popping every once in a while... Even the "crappy" regens can perform quite well.

No I understand that I can't expect a Messi every year, but when I have a look at my players when they come into my u-19 squad, they are crap. And if they are going to become good they are going to have one H... of a progres. Defenders with 8 in tackling. I find it hard to try them in my a- team to develop them.

Perhaps some teams should have it coded to produce a few more good players them the other teams? Just an idea.

Well, even if he has 1 in tackling, I don't know how training works in FM - but I assume in 20 years (appearing at 16) he can easily achieve 20 tackling, and having a solid defender at 26 is pretty decent.

I'm not trying to argue you, justsaying.. give them a shot :)

I have had some awesome homegrown players with Barcelona. Two of them are world-class midfielders (like Xavi and Iniesta) and another one is a world-class centre back (the new Puyol). I also have other world-class homegrown players, but they are ones I bought when they were 16/17.

I would call Messi home grown seeing as he's been there since he was 13(IIRC)

Iniesta, Xavi, Bojan, Messi, Puyol, Valdes, Pique, Busquets, Jorquera in their squad then theres Fabregas(Arsenal), Arteta(Everton), Reina(Liverpool), F.Navarro(Sevilla), Sergio Garcia(Betis), Luis Garcia(At.Madrid), Dos Santos(Tottenham), Gabri(Ajax), De la Pena(Espanyol) and it would'nt surprise me if theres more

Then theres the up and coming Yago/Iago/Lago(Juventus) or whatever his name is and Fran Merida(Arsenal)

Even their manager is home grown, both as a player and as a manager.

Barca and Real Madrid should be boosted somehow so that they get more quality regens

Not real madrid they act like an english club, just buying heaps of foreign players, but barca should produce a lot more quality regens.

I've just started a Barca game myself and am surprised at the lack of quality youth at the start of the game. I think they have a couple of -9 players (excluding Bojan of course), but that's about it. haven't played long enough to see about regens yet, but yes you would expect them to produce some quality regens with some regularity. The quality of their coaching staff is also terrible at the start of the game, which makes me think that perhaps their researcher is a bit on the lazy side. I mean, barca are famed for producing technically excellent players (and long before this years success), yet they do not have one single coach with decent stats in coaching technique/attacking/shooting etc. Just doesn't seem realistic to me when you compare to some of the staff at other clubs (ie Man U, Arsenal etc). Even their scouts are crap and are all randoms. On my save every single one of them (i think 9 in total) ended up with determination stat of 5, which basically makes them useless. Plus they are mostly all on expensive long term contracts. Oh well, I guess that's why they invented 3rd party editors! Hopefully given the season they've just had, they will be made more realistic in the next version.

Iniesta started in Albacete

Messi started in Newell's

Fabregas started in Mataró

Dos Santos started in Monterrey

No doubt about it, Barça are the ones that nurtured that talent, but nonetheless, they didn't start their careers in Barça (as regens do).

charlo116, Real Madrid produced quite a few players over the years that now play professional football at the highest level, I wouldn't go as far as saying that we're better than Barça in that regard, but I resent that "buying heaps of foreign players" statement(s).

There should be another "stat" or something that separates clubs in terms of youth product, clubs that over the years proved that they produce quality players should get at least 1 decent regen every year, I don't want a Messi - he's what every manager hopes for, I think that player should be around Luis Garcia/Guti ability.

No doubt about it, Barça are the ones that nurtured that talent, but nonetheless, they didn't start their careers in Barça (as regens do).

charlo116, Real Madrid produced quite a few players over the years that now play professional football at the highest level, I wouldn't go as far as saying that we're better than Barça in that regard, but I resent that "buying heaps of foreign players" statement(s).

There should be another "stat" or something that separates clubs in terms of youth product, clubs that over the years proved that they produce quality players should get at least 1 decent regen every year, I don't want a Messi - he's what every manager hopes for, I think that player should be around Luis Garcia/Guti ability.

The four players you mentioned all started their careers at barca according to their fm history but i'd have to do more research to see if they did, but messi i know started at barca because he needed medical treatment for his size, which j=his parents and doctor believed would see him not grow much at all. So his parents took him to spain for trails, to find a club that would foot his medical bills. Hence barca stepped in noticing his talent and signed him at 13.

Real madrid had less spanish players than liverpool in their starting line-up when they played each other in the champions league. Now i know liverpool have a lot of spanish players but not as many as barca, real madrid have van nistelrooy, van der vaart, robben, sneijder and drenthe, which i think is more or as many spanish players in their senior team. Real madrid are also linked to buying players like kaka and cristiano ronaldo, rumours that are only rivaled by the high spending english powers, and i suspect you posted that you resented my statement because you favour madrid imo.

Liverpool have nothing to do with this thread, why bring them up ?

Having foreign players in the team has nothing to do with regens.

Barça have more foreign players in their first team than Spanish ones, so what.

As a comparison, Real have 17 foreign players, still doesn't mean a thing about either club's youth academies.

And about Liverpool, they've got silly amount of foreign players in their squad, I don't know much about them - but I'll take a longshot and guess that their youth academy is a good one.

Btw, this started because you said Real shouldn't be boosted like Barça in regards to youth players, which is a silly arguement as it's just an idea so far :D

Liverpool have nothing to do with this thread, why bring them up ?

Having foreign players in the team has nothing to do with regens.

Barça have more foreign players in their first team than Spanish ones, so what.

As a comparison, Real have 17 foreign players, still doesn't mean a thing about either club's youth academies.

And about Liverpool, they've got silly amount of foreign players in their squad, I don't know much about them - but I'll take a longshot and guess that their youth academy is a good one.

Btw, this started because you said Real shouldn't be boosted like Barça in regards to youth players, which is a silly arguement as it's just an idea so far :D

Its not a silly arguement its my opinion and my input, i brought liverpool up because i compared real madrid to big spending english clubs, which you resented. The truth is barca produce a lot more talent throught their youth system than real madrid. The comparison between real and liverpool wasnt to do with youth acadamies it was simply because you said you resented the statement i made about real signing a lot of foreign players, which they do. i know it has nothing to do with their youth system but no youth system in the world produces as much talent as barca's, besides the four players you named as starting elsewhere is incorrect they all started at barca.

But we don't know if regens once played for some Spanish Third Division team or not, do we? Those players were at Barca when they were 16.

Personally, I always check Barca's academy first when regens spawn. The best player in the world now (probably, I haven't check CA) )is a MC brought through by Barca, and the best defenders in the world are a D/WBL and a DC... both from Barca's academy! My left winger and striker are Barca players and I'm challenging for the English title.

Liverpool's academy isn't that good tbh. The last player it bought through (who now plays in the PL) was Danny Guthrie and he's been relegated, so Stephen Warnock. Then you have to go back a few more years for Koumas, Owen, Gerrard, Carragher and Fowler.

BTW, there is an attribute that affect the quality of regens only- Youth Facilities, and Youth Academy.

ok just so everyone knows...

some years back when real were dominating spain early to mid 90's barca decided they needed a new approch to youth footballers so they began to invest in the youth team , (better coach's , better facilities etc) then they had this great idea in the early 2000's that lets bring in the best quality youngsters from around the world stick them in the youth system for 7,8 years and call them are own. a system that is reaping the rewards at athe moment.

messi was brought over from argentina at age 12. he was offered to real first but they were only interested in buying the likes of figo and zidane. so he went to barca and is now classed as there youth product.

bojan also came from serbia . into the youth system, hay presto another youth product

all the time the youth system improvments from the early to mid 90's are now giving us better spanish youth products hence fabregas. pique. inesta.

thats why your not getting any world beaters like messi or bojan coming through because they were bought in to the club in the first place.

I know that not all youth players come from Barcelonas own youthsytem, from they are 6 to the a- team. But the regens should also not come just from the Barca area then either should they, if you want it to be realistic.

When I look at my scouting system in my game I have thorough in the world and outstanding in north america, uk& ireland and central europe. I have exceptional in central america, scandinavia, south america og oceania. I'm not saying that each off these areas will or are able to produce world class players. But with an extensive scouting network, Barca should be able to produce some good "spanish" players in the area of 10 years, don't you think.

And I also know that the fasilities and academies have something to do with it, but I have the best. Perhaps there should be an option to set up acadamies in other countries. Not to many, but 2-3 perhaps. That way the "best" talents from the area will be inducted to you u-19 if they are seen as good enough.

ok just so everyone knows...

some years back when real were dominating spain early to mid 90's barca decided they needed a new approch to youth footballers so they began to invest in the youth team , (better coach's , better facilities etc) then they had this great idea in the early 2000's that lets bring in the best quality youngsters from around the world stick them in the youth system for 7,8 years and call them are own. a system that is reaping the rewards at athe moment.

messi was brought over from argentina at age 12. he was offered to real first but they were only interested in buying the likes of figo and zidane. so he went to barca and is now classed as there youth product.

bojan also came from serbia . into the youth system, hay presto another youth product

all the time the youth system improvments from the early to mid 90's are now giving us better spanish youth products hence fabregas. pique. inesta.

thats why your not getting any world beaters like messi or bojan coming through because they were bought in to the club in the first place.

Well actually Bojan was born and raised in the Catalonia region of Spain, his father is Serbian but his mother is Spanish. He is a local talent.

The youth academies need to be more dynamic in the game in that, if the relevant scouting network is in place, they produce foreign talent bought in at a young age. So that you could get a future Messi through the youth academy without manually scouting Argentinian club youth players once they're already in their late teens.

Essentially the game isn't doing a good enough job of accurately modelling the sort of players coming through many academies, especially Barcelona in this instance.

Its not a silly arguement its my opinion and my input, i brought liverpool up because i compared real madrid to big spending english clubs, which you resented. The truth is barca produce a lot more talent throught their youth system than real madrid. The comparison between real and liverpool wasnt to do with youth acadamies it was simply because you said you resented the statement i made about real signing a lot of foreign players, which they do. i know it has nothing to do with their youth system but no youth system in the world produces as much talent as barca's, besides the four players you named as starting elsewhere is incorrect they all started at barca.

No offence meant, mate :)

Just saying that this is pointless to argue about, we're all supposed to be friends here :D

Anyway...

Although Messi and some other players start their football career somewhere else, it was Barça that nurtured their talent, so they should be given a boost in FM, like youth players in their academy have a much higher chance to become "good" players (as in PA of -9 or -10).

It looks as if Barça are 10 times better at it than Madrid, but it simply isn't true, while we are big spenders, we produced many good footballers (even in recent years).

Oh by the way, Barça spend quite a bit themselves, they just can't rely on youth product to bring them success. (longterm)

Messi and those other payers didn't start at other clubs though. The first and only proffesional club messi has played for is barca so they're not buying these players they signed messi onto his first contract, the same with bojan, iniest and other youth talents they have developed, the truth is look at the spanish national team how many of them are produced by barca and how many are produced by real? I'm not saying that barca is ten times better but real's youth system isn't exceptional compared to other big teams, i would even class the youth systems of juventus and ajax ahead of real.

I regularly had great youth players coming through 'Best of his generation' etc. Since nobody seems to know what factors influence how good your players are, i signed the best Scouts, best Coaches and made sure my Scouts had increased knowledge. Whether this influenced the youth intake? I don't know.

It seems to be hit and miss, some users will tell you they had great Barca youth players, others will tell you they didn't.

Why is it so hard to believe that Messi didn't start his career at Barça ? Just do a 5 minute research online and you'll see. (Same for the other players).

Half of Spain's squad started their careers in obscure clubs.

Granted as a youth player you're not a professional footballer (yet), but the same happens in FM, when regens appear they're signed on youth contracts, just like Messi and others. So at least something goes according to real life in FM.

i did my research and i found records of the four players you mentioned started elsewhere, and they according to what i found they all started their careers at barca. Messi was coached at newell's youth team but never played and the other three all began at barca. Dos santos was coached by his father early on at a school in monterrey before moving to barca, he never played for a club there. So stop criticising and leading the thread pointlessly away from the topic which is barca need a better youth system and staff.

if a player signs for a club at 12-15 I think it is safe to say that is where he "started" his career. All players will have been playing football at their local youth team, most of the time this won't be a massive club, but you don't say someone started their career at joe blogs under-10s do you?

and the game does bring through regens from other areas to reflect international scouting

Archived