"To Basque in Glory" - The Athletic Club Bilbao Challenege

125pxathleticcdebilbaogl1.png

Athletic Club is a Basque football club from Bilbao in Biscay, Basque Country. The club has played in the Primera División of La Liga since its start in 1928. They have won La Liga on eight occasions.

They are known as the Rojiblancos or Zurigorri because of their red and white striped shirts and as Los Leones because their stadium was built near a church called San Mamés (Saint Mammes). Mammes was an early Christian thrown to the lions by the Romans. The lions refused to eat Mames and he was later made a saint. The San Mamés Stadium is hence nicknamed "the football cathedral".

The club is known for its cantera policy of bringing young Basque players through the ranks, as well as recruiting top Basque players from other clubs. Athletic only signs professional players native to one of the seven Basque provinces: Biscay, Guipúzcoa and Álava, Navarre; and Labourd, Soule and Lower Navarre in France, although in recent times some players born in Cantabria and La Rioja, close to the Basque Country have played for the team. This has gained Athletic both admirers and critics. The club has been praised for promoting home grown players and club loyalty.

Basque.gif

The Challenege

This is probably one of the simpler and more straightforward challeneges on the forum - you are manager of Athletic Bilbao and to complete the challenge you must win both La Liga and the Champions League. The twist of course is as mentioned above, you are restricted in buying only players from the Basque region of Spain and France. This is implemented in the game itself so it't not a preference, its a must.

Rooney.jpg

Fortunately not only does Football Manager allow you to search for Basque players only in the player search section, Bilbao also boast Excellent Youth facilities & a Youth Academy to bring through your own Basque talent.

The Rules

Load a game with the Spanish league down to Second Division B selected, (you can load any other nations if you so wish) a large database (or smaller if preferred), the attribute masking, real players, add key staff and transfer boxes ticked. No additional players from any nation should be loaded.

The extra levels of detail that you can change while in the game are up to you, as they shouldn't make a difference.

Add a new manager, the options are up to you but 'past experience' must be set to the lowest possible which is 'Sunday league footballer'. I understand that choosing different nationalities may have an effect later on, but I trust people will be sensible with this. I would expect people to use their own true nationalities.

Take over Athletic Club Bilbao, and you are done.

Rules for this thread

Player naming is allowed. (This is a warning for those of you who do not wish to see this)

Discussion on tactics is allowed. (This is another warning for those of you who do not wish to see this)

Screenshots for anything are encouraged but please post links to your pictures, don't post them as images as it makes the pages slower to load. (I know I've done it for this post but won't be doing it here after!)

When you join the challenge, could you post a screenshot of your manager's profile.

Progress of your club should be documented using this thread, we want to hear the story of your time in charge all the way through. Please keep us updated, even if you are doing really badly.

At the end of every season, could everyone post some kind of season review, including at least a screenshot of a league table and the clubs transfer page. If you give this a title in bold it makes it a bit easier to pick out.

Any questions, just ask.

:thup:

I like it, surprised this hasn't gone up before! Good luck with it, I may join at some point as I have a soft spot for Bilbao :thup:

A few years ago, there was the more 'manly' version, on FM 06 I think.. You had to play as Cultural Durango in the Spanish Second Division B, they could only buy Basque players and it was hard to just avoid relegation. I had a few goes (got relegated the first time), as did Dafuge, along with a few others. Think the thread has been deleted though :(

Unfortunately the Basque clubs in the game (except Bilbao) are allowed to buy any players, so it's not quite the same. Could still be done though.

A few years ago, there was the more 'manly' version, on FM 06 I think.. You had to play as Cultural Durango in the Spanish Second Division B, they could only buy Basque players and it was hard to just avoid relegation. I had a few goes (got relegated the first time), as did Dafuge, along with a few others. Think the thread has been deleted though :(

Unfortunately the Basque clubs in the game (except Bilbao) are allowed to buy any players, so it's not quite the same. Could still be done though.

I'm not too knowledgable on the Basque region tbh, I believe Real Sociedad and Osasuna are (or I might be wrong), not sure what other teams there are? It's a shame only Bilbao have the restrictions on FM.

My profile shot anyway - here.

Virtex's - 10 game update - 2008/09

Defence, defence, defence. We're **** at it. Conceeding 2 goals a game on average which is just too many. We've managed to put 16 in at the other end which is the 5th best in the league.

The actual players in the back four are good enough (thou' the keepers are bobbins IMO), I think it's mostly down to my tactics so I'm making changes to make my 4-2-3-1 slightly less gung ho.

On the transfer front I decided to transfer list David Lopez who seemed pretty average to me. I think I was justified when the only side to bid for him were Birmingham, so off he went for 2.2mil euros whilst I spent money bringing in Daniel Aquino (4mil), Ander (575k) and took a gamble on a 16 year old from Alaves for 1.6mil called Eugenio Gurrutxaga.

Anyway to sum up - I've only won twice and need we to stop fannying about at the back. We're 16th and 1 point above the relegation places. To Basque in glory indeed.

Aquino is/will be a brilliant signing for you in the years to come :thup: Never sell him :D

He's started really well for me, in 17 apps he's scored 5 and assisted 4 from a left attacking midfield position.

Aquino's a bit of a funny one in regards to this challenge because when you look at his nationality and "other nationalities" is doesn't say Basque, although it does let you bid for him. Before making a bid I had a look round the internet and best I can gather is he's from the Basque region in Argentina and since signing it now does list him as Basque oddly. I'm happy enough anyway, coz as you said, class act all the way this boy. :)

There's some really good young players at Athletic too, so I think this challenge has really got some legs in it. Javi Martinez in midfield I believe goes onto become one of the best centre mids on the game if all goes to plans, plus plenty of top La Liga clubs have been chasing Llorente and Amorebieta who are both only 23. Just have to keep hold of them! :cool:

Aquino is a quality player!

Martinez will be excellent for a good 10 years for you, most likely and you probably don't want to sell him ever because it would be hard to replace him with a better Basque centre midfielder.

I'm not too knowledgable on the Basque region tbh, I believe Real Sociedad and Osasuna are (or I might be wrong), not sure what other teams there are? It's a shame only Bilbao have the restrictions on FM.

My profile shot anyway - here.

There's a list of clubs in the Basque region on wikipedia, see here-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Basque_football_clubs

Obviously not all of them are playable as some are in the fourth tier (and maybe some lower than that).

He's started really well for me, in 17 apps he's scored 5 and assisted 4 from a left attacking midfield position.

Aquino's a bit of a funny one in regards to this challenge because when you look at his nationality and "other nationalities" is doesn't say Basque, although it does let you bid for him. Before making a bid I had a look round the internet and best I can gather is he's from the Basque region in Argentina and since signing it now does list him as Basque oddly. I'm happy enough anyway, coz as you said, class act all the way this boy. :)

There's some really good young players at Athletic too, so I think this challenge has really got some legs in it. Javi Martinez in midfield I believe goes onto become one of the best centre mids on the game if all goes to plans, plus plenty of top La Liga clubs have been chasing Llorente and Amorebieta who are both only 23. Just have to keep hold of them! :cool:

He's better upfront imo.

He's better upfront imo.

I agree mate, but with only playing with one striker in the system I use, I have to go with Fernando Llorente. Aquino has being playing upfront for the Spain U19s and U21s where he has scored for fun. Just rejected an offer of 10mil euros from Atletico Madrid!

Virtex's - End of season update - 2008/09

Well we finished a creditable 9th, just 2 points short of a UEFA Cup (or Europa League) :rolleyes: spot. We were sixth with six games to go but the fixture list had decided I was to then play 5 games away on the trot, and with Aquino and Ander both called up for Spain U21s for several games, plus a large number of injuries, my form fell apart and I dropped away.

It was still not a bad season despite the disappointing tale off. Biggest problem I face now is improving the squad with the limited pool of players I have to choose from. Obviously none of the big Basque names are interested yet so I'll be wheeling and dealing and hoping to push on into the top six next time round.

good challenge this - one for the football purists i say. might be tempted to try it at some stage - we shall see.

I didn't realise when I started this how hard it would actually be, one hell of a challenge I think, and that's just in La Liga.

For anyone who goes on to start this, Aqunio and Xabi Prieto should definately be top targets.

I didn't realise when I started this how hard it would actually be, one hell of a challenge I think, and that's just in La Liga.

I agree. I'm just about to finish my fifth season at it now. The best I've managed so far is 4th, and i'm looking good for that again this year. Barca, Real Madrid, and to a lesser extent Valencia are quite simply too good. The most notable signings i've made are Arteta and Azpilicueta. I would recommend getting Arteta as soon as you can because he is amazing and has topped the average ratings and assists every year since i have bought him.

I've aimed to bring through younger guys (you can approach any regen as long as their sole nationality is spanish and they are young enough to become home-grown at club, so younger than 18). So hopefully within a couple of years i will be up higher as the youngsters develop and fill in around Javi Martinez, Fernando Amorebieta, Fernando Llorente and Arteta. I reckon its possible as less than a year ago I had 18 guys in the Spain U21s :D Probably something to do with the gain in rep they would have had by playing for the 1st team so young.

I agree. I'm just about to finish my fifth season at it now. The best I've managed so far is 4th, and i'm looking good for that again this year. Barca, Real Madrid, and to a lesser extent Valencia are quite simply too good. The most notable signings i've made are Arteta and Azpilicueta. I would recommend getting Arteta as soon as you can because he is amazing and has topped the average ratings and assists every year since i have bought him.

I've aimed to bring through younger guys (you can approach any regen as long as their sole nationality is spanish and they are young enough to become home-grown at club, so younger than 18). So hopefully within a couple of years i will be up higher as the youngsters develop and fill in around Javi Martinez, Fernando Amorebieta, Fernando Llorente and Arteta. I reckon its possible as less than a year ago I had 18 guys in the Spain U21s :D Probably something to do with the gain in rep they would have had by playing for the 1st team so young.

Azpilicueta has just moved to Barca for 10mil on my game, he looks a very good talent.

Didn't realise that about the spanish under 18 regens, great spot. That could be key to this challenge actually.

I'm still halfway through season two so will post an update either this evening or tomorrow night. I've found a couple of young midfielders I reckon can go all the way so will stick up their profiles too. :)

As I mentioned before i'm into my 5th season at this so here's a bit of a summary of my quest so far.

1st Season

I was amazingly happy to finish 4th the first season in, and it is still the highest placing i've

had at the end of the season. Barca were just too good. But we earned champions league football

and the cash that goes with it. Went out in the 4th round of the Spanish Cup.

Season 1 Table

Best players

Fernando Llorente- 21 goals, all in the league, finishing second to Eto'o in the charts

Igor Gabilondo- lead the assists charts and finished with the club's highest average rating (This

guy surprised me. He kept yeste and susaeta out of the team for long periods scored vital goals)

Fernando Amorebieta and Adoni Iraola- held the defence together and Amorebieta got a cap for spain

Best Eleven

Transfers Out-

No one of note. Decided to keep the first team together.

Transfers In-

I didn't have the rep or the cash to attract the biggest names. A couple of handy regens came in

for about $4mill. 3 are now first teamers, another two are probably a season or two away.

2nd Season

Dropped down to fifth in the league. Hard to pinpoint one area that went wrong, but in general we

lost games we should have drawn and drew games we should have won. Reached the quarter finals of

the Spanish Cup before going out on away goals and the 1st knockout round of the Champions League,

losing to Bayern Munich.

Season 2 Table

Best players

Fernando Llorente- 29 goals in all competitions

Igor Gabilondo- another good season. The most consistent player

Fernando Amorebieta- The best defender in the squad, and played in all but one game

Adoni Iraola- Switched between RM and RB brilliantly and managed 9 goals

Javi Martinez- attracted interest from Spain and Italy all season. Established himself in the

spain squad and was the second highest goal scorer

Best Eleven

Transfers Out-

Iban Zubiarre was the only one of note. A lot of dead weight out to make way for younger guys.

Transfers In-

Mikael Danobietta joined on a free along with some regen stars for a total of $1.6mill

3rd Season

A spectacular failure. Dropped to 13th in the league after struggling all season. The form in

Europe was the only positive, reaching the semi finals of the European Cup before loosing to Aston

Villa. This result was with arguably the best squad i've had, which included Azpilicueta and

Arteta

Season 3 Table

Best players

Adoni Iraola- consistently good over the entire season. Managed a very creditable 8 goals from

right back

Javi Martinez- turned it on in some important games

Mikel Arteta- very good signing, provided pace and skill down the right

Yeste- good foil for arteta on the left or in behind the strikers

Best Eleven

Transfers Out-

A total of nine players left, the most notable being Carlos Gurpegi. Garmendia, Lafuente, Munoz,

Del Olmo and Inigo also made way.

Transfers In-

Arteta and Azipilicueta were the big signings. Two fantastic regens also joined among a total of

12 new signings.

4th Season

A good turnaround considering the previous season, moving back up into the European Places by

finishing 7th. We were never really any real threat of moving higher after a poor start to the

season.

Season 4 Table

Best players

Adoni Iraola- consistently good over the entire season once again. Took over as captain going into

the season.

Javi Martinez- started to perform consistently, leading the team in tackles and passing

percentage.

Mikel Arteta- the best performer. At times was nothing short of fantastic.

Fernando Llorente- back to his best, not just scoring goals but laying them on as well. Finally

had a partner who could score consistently in Isma Lopez.

Best Eleven

Transfers Out-

A massive 34 players left as the star youngsters filtered through, David Lopez and Mikel Danobieta

among them.

Transfers In-

Two big signings- Mikel San Jose from Liverpool and a regen named Gaspar. A handful of other young

players joined as well.

This season

At the end of January we are a very respectable 4th. Came through a tough group in the Euro Cup

behind Dortmund, though we face Chelsea in the first knockout round. Ustaritz, Ion Velez and Ander

have all left and Inaki Astiz has joined.

The Table

Mikel Arteta (the reigning European Midfielder of the year) and Adoni Iraola have again been the

best performers, along with Markel Susaeta who is having a breakout season. I am pretty excited

for the team with the youngsters I have, and we had 18 players in the Spanish under 21s :D

Spain U21s

Here are a couple of the better regens

Alfonso

Gaspar

Joseba Garmendia

Jaime Delgado

Gustavo

Roberto

have just started this challenge, will be a good challenge, 7 games in, 4 wins, 2 draws and 1 defeat. bought aquino and prieto obviously as well as 2 barca youngsters, have good hopes for them. just need to know how to do screen dumps? can anyone help?

mendi - Alfonso is amazingly good! In fact all your regens are. Who did you sign them from?

Garmendia and Gustavo are home grown, they came through at Athletic

Delgado cost 600k from Barcelona

Alfonso was free + 50% of next sale from Hercules

Roberto cost 1.1mill from Mallorca as a 16 year old

Gaspar was the big purchase. He cost 6.75mill. He is from Gimnastic via Racing

I use Tugs training schedule, but i tend to adjust it a bit. And I have one specific training schedule for improving physical attributes which Delgado and Gustavo are on

And to update on my season progress I've just finished the 5th season.

Easily the best season so far, finishing fourth. In the cups we managed to reach the quarter finals of the Euro Cup, and lost to Real Madrid in the Spanish Cup final.

Alfonso now has two caps for Spain, and Gustavo has been called up but is yet to get a cap

This seems like the first challenge that is not impossible or won't take 20 years just to get to the top flight which quite frankly i don't have the time to do!

Will definately have a go once i've finished my A-levels in 10 days

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/1200/fixs1.png

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/9091/fixs2.png

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/9716/transfers2.png

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/7437/transfers1.png

6th at the start of march,doing well, hopefully will clinch a Europa league place, although competition is quite tough, Villarreal, betis and athletico all going for europa league as well.

6th at the start of march,doing well, hopefully will clinch a Europa league place, although competition is quite tough, Villarreal, betis and athletico all going for europa league as well.

Sounds like a good start mate, and you've got some good players in. I reckon you could have got more for Gurpegi and Gabilondo though. I got 6mill for Gurpegi, though i held onto Gabilondo. But with Aquino and Prieto in you're probably set for wingers

Sounds like a good start mate, and you've got some good players in. I reckon you could have got more for Gurpegi and Gabilondo though. I got 6mill for Gurpegi, though i held onto Gabilondo. But with Aquino and Prieto in you're probably set for wingers

i play prieto as a CM, his stats are a bit slow for a winger, so i decided to train him as a CM, stats are a bit like xabi alonso, quite slow, but makes up with technique,passing, creativity.

Apolgises for my absence on this thread for a bit, been a bit busier than I expected and just about recovered from seeing Oasis on sunday now. :D

Good to see a few more people getting involved with this. :thup:

just started my 2nd season. finished 5th in 1st season, therefore am in uefa cup. some good signings in the summer , mainly arteta. will get up print screens shortly.

PS. after i exit my game , a message comes up saying send error report or dont send. anyone have any idea why this comes up? how do i get rid of it?

Season 08/09

Had a great season despight conceeding a very high amount of goals simly becuase of my awesome attack which was unsurpassed in the league not even by barca or real. I also made one change in Jan by bringing in Miguel Flano to try sure up the back line.

Top Players

Llorente was fantastic, scoring 31 league goals and in doing so picking up the european golden boot.

Yeste - the midfielder scored 14 and created a further 13, can't argue with that.

Xabi Prieto - Was a danger every match with his dribbling. Not just this but he popped up with 11 goals and 11 assists.

Fixtures

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/6848/fixtures1.jpg

http://img199.imageshack.us/i/fixtures2.jpg/

League table

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/2871/leaguetablec.jpg

As you can see i got in the champions league and after drawing liverpool in the qualifiers i feared the worst. However after a 0-0 home leg then a 3-3 draw at anfield i qualified for the group stage:)

Best result

well there is two that stand out.

4-1 away at Valencia and 3-1 at home to barca

Worst Result

3-0 at home to Racing, it knocked me out of the cup and was a rubbish team performance.

Summer transfers

http://img269.imageshack.us/i/transfers2j.jpg/

Looking to get back into the arms of my first love FM2009 after a brief (but ultimately unsatisfying) affair with FML... and this challenge seems like the perfect incentive!

Hope I'm not too late... my profile is: http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz36/Pompey_Dan/DannyLakeProfile.jpg

Just realised posted wrong profile picture... http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz36/Pompey_Dan/DannyLakeProfile2.jpg

hey good luck guys, i have been playing as Athletic in most of the CM/FM games, love the policy and the spirit of the club though i have no actual connection with the Basque Country. I hounded SI on these forums in about 1998 when the Spanish regens came in without Basque nationality, so Athletic couldnt sign any of them as the Basque-only policy was on the ame back then too! It is always a big challenge, i won the CL in my first season in the 2000 CM3 version but then it wasnt that difficult to do! In another season i was relegated. In my most recent run on FM08 my best finish in 5 seasons has been 5th, also got to the Cup final (but for some reason was not admitted to UEFA cup despite losing to league champions Barcelona!) Grrr. Also in my version, and i notice also in another few FM08 versions where i have been different teams, Javi Martinez (will be great in real life btw) is sold within the first season for his minimum fee clause, something like 16-18 million. Good for the bank balance, but bad when hes the best player on the team and there are few alternatives available to replace him due to the restrictions!

Until FM09 it was only basque regens which could be signed by Athletic, same as older players. I know you are all playing by the same rules in this challenge so it is not cheating, but i have to point out that signing these Spanish regens is not really keeping with the philosophy at Bilbao IRL. In recent years they have paid over the odds for some players, poached talented youngsters from their local rivals, trawled various countries for basque descendents and allegedly bribed other players to avoid relegation, but in general they have kept their Basque rules. If you look at their official website which includes places of birth (down to the Under 11s, which is where Amorebieta, Llorente and Joseba Garmendia all began their careers in the same season!) the vast majority of their players in all the squads are from Bilbao itself and the surrounding towns. The only exceptions are a few African-born boys who have lived in the region for several years.

Signing 18-year-olds from around Spain and sticking them in the reserves until they get good (and naturalised) may be allowed by the game, and in any other country building such a team against the mega-rich international monster clubs would be a formidable task in itself, but it does not represent the true challenge of managing Athletic, where only a serious period of residence as a youth or a distant link to a Basque grandparent (there are a few dozen from Argentina, Colombia etc, some of which are not picked up by FM) will be allowed as an exception to the Basque-born-only, home-grown-preferred players rule. There are only a few Basque players in the game who are good enough to improve Athletic's squad in an environment as tough as La Liga, and even then most are reluctant to join or are priced out of the market (well done to those who have signed Arteta, i need to find another £5m for him, never mind Raul Garcia, Xabi Prieto or Xabi Alonso - though I did get his brother) so it is really tough. Getting anything gives a real sense of achievement against the odds.

I have not been able to find any evidence that Dani Aquino is Basque, so I think he is a good example of a fine signing but one which would not be permitted by Athletic in reality. If the game is not stopping you signing Spaniards then go for it, youre in the same boat as all the rest. But the fans would not allow it in reality (and it is they who cause the policy to continue) so perhaps the rules should be changed in FM to reflect the tiny pool of players there is to choose from!

Best of luck whatever happens! Aupa Athletic! Gora Euskadi!

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed a bug in Bilbao's cantera policy in the game. You can buy any spanish player before they turn 19 even if they don't have basque nationality. This makes the game considerably easier. I always filter my searches with basque nationality so that i won't accidentally buy any non-basque spanish players.

in my 3rd season now, think i could give a good title challenge.

in my 2nd season, finished 4th, qualifying for champions league but also won the euro cup

transfers and fixtures can be seen in my next post.

• 4 weeks later...
I have noticed a bug in Bilbao's cantera policy in the game. You can buy any spanish player before they turn 19 even if they don't have basque nationality. This makes the game considerably easier. I always filter my searches with basque nationality so that i won't accidentally buy any non-basque spanish players.

I don't think it's a bug. Part of Athletic's cantera policy is that if a player learned his skills in the Basque Country they'll consider him Basque. I guess young Spanish players count for this- although it's interesting that young players from other countries cannot be bought.

Archived