How good do you get/when do you stop?

As an avid champ man/footy man player for the last 9 or so years, I like to think I'm a pretty seasoned and experienced manager. I set my own training schedules, eventually one for each player, get in the best coaches and scouts, find the best regens etc..

But when does it all end?

Ever since I first picked up a football manager game (I think my first was called Premier League Manager) I've been my team (Man City) 9 times out of 10, which although may seem boring to you, is exciting for me because I love watching my team do well. Of course, the past couple of years have been different for City because we've got a load of money and things are easier.

So I started a new game with City as soon as the new FM came out.

Fast forward to:

2014 - I win the Premier League.

2015 - I win the Champions League and FA Cup in the same season, come third in the league.

2016 - I win the Club World Champ, League Cup, FA Cup, Champions League and Premier League in the same season, going undefeated in the Premier League (technically lost in first rounds of Champions league, but always brought it back for the 2nd round)

My team is a mix of the best players from the 'real world' and the best regens.

Where is there to go? I'm having a hard time thinking of reasons. Would you carry on?

I have a 100m budget every year, but there are hardly any players which would improve my current squad. I've got 3 quality players for every position. Of course, I'm not complaining, I loved getting my squad this good, I just don't see the interest in playing this game more.

I know the next step up from this is managing a league 2 side or something, but to be honest I don't see me keeping up an interest in managing a gash side. Thoughts?

Honestly - I just go until the new game comes out.

If I were you, I'd try to get to the top of the hall of fame - that's when you know you're the best ever.

My aim (im managing Man City as well) is with my current manager retire him when he hits 65 then create a new manager as my son and start unemployed. So i get the best of both worlds (Top of the world and lower league struggler:D)

If you're bored, apply for another job. If you are not, don't.

In my long-term games, if I've been doing well, I tend to find a few of my players are getting old, or that with my club's increased rep I can attract much better players than I already have, and seem to rebuild my team over the summer. It's a challenge because FM09 takes longer for players to gel - teamwork really seems to have a proper effect on them.

If you decide to get another job, it'll depend on your preferences of course. Either go for a lower league club in your current game, maybe a fallen giant if there is one, (not always easy finding great regens for lower level) or move abroad. In my game the Spanish and Italian clubs go through managers like I go through chocolate digestives. Maybe even do the unthinkable and join Man United - if you've had all that success I suspect they'll be sacking their manager soon.

Developing youth has kept me going. I have just won three trebles in a row with Barcelona, but what makes the satisfaction much sweeter is that most of my squad is homegrown. I love seeing promising young players develop into world-class superstars. I am a cross between Arsene Wenger (developing youth) and Josep Guardiola (free-flowing attacking football).

Developing youth has kept me going. I have just won three trebles in a row with Barcelona.

I tend to stop after my first treble!:)

My last game, I qualified for the UEFA Cup with NAC Breda, took Rangers to two SPL titles, then took over at Man United when Ferguson retired. In the 2014-15 Season (I think) I won the Charity Shield, EPL, Carling Cup, FA Cup, World Club Championship, and Champions League. I thought that that was basically the end of the game, and there was nothing left for me to win, so I started a new game.

im in 2022, and still playing, i generally win league and champs league (in last 11 years only not won champs + premiership twice)... i kept on playing until we got a new stadia... we have one now, and its named after me :) (72000 with roof)... atm im trying to get balotelli (31/32 now), to become the record league scorer for spurs (current holder is Jimmy greaves @ 220 goals)... Super mario is on 209 league goals... i also thoroughly enjoy purchasing 15/16/17 year olds, and letting them play in my under 18's (won league last 6 yrs), and then eventually bringing them to my 1st team... in my current 1st team i have 5-7 players that i signed who were 16 or so... i also am currently managing England for the 1st time (have previously managed, Brazil, Uruguay and Denmark), so i currently speak 4 languages also...

Edit: im wanting to get spurs to have won the champs league the most and if i cba the premiership...

EditEdit: already no1 manager in HoF

as a man city fan you of all people shouldnt stop untill you have blown Sir Alex Ferguson out of the water and won 12 league titles with man city! maybe then you should stop

Saying that i usualy stop when the game no longer becomes fun, then i just load up a new game, sit at the screen for 20mins thinking who i want to manage next

Im still playing FM08 (didnt like FM09) and i have few save games going

1 - Arsenal on a 92/93 database, won everthing every season except for last season got beat in the Champions League final

2 - With Blackburn, in my 5th season started out unemployed and got the Barnet job, now iv just got Blackburn back into the Premiership

3 - Middlesbrough, a joint game if my mate (he's newcastle im middlesbr') to see who can gain promotion back to the premiership first

4 - Burnley - newly promoted etc 12 games gone, 13th in the league

I finally stopped playing FM08 after I came top of the Hall of Fame with Arsenal. In 10 seasons I won 5 Premier Leagues, 6 Champions Leagues, 4 FA Cups, Carling Cup and 9 other minor trophies. As soon as I achieved that all my motivation disappeared.~

I did try with A Blue Square North side for a while, but it was almost impossible to achieve anything with the crappy players and lack of ambition. I gave up when my club would not let me expand the stadium, without that you have no chance of attracting better players long-term.

Of course, I could go and buy FM09, but by the sound of things it's not as good as FM08, too many bugs - sounds like a bad version.

i like to move around the divisions, its easier if you dont dislike too many teams like me, i would never be Spurs or Cov, so im free to most teams, im with plymouth, took them from League one to the prem, im loving the game right now and have been for a few month now

2014 - I win the Premier League.

Where is there to go? I'm having a hard time thinking of reasons. Would you carry on?

I won the Premier League with Pompey in 2012 without cheating and a consortium takeover and i lost motivation too.But Arsenal won it the next year so i now i want to win it 3 times in a row and i want to play again :D

Archived