Slider Positions

Evening All,

Now, having played the game for years, I'm LOVING (heart heart) FM2009. Initially the tactics got my hump, but thanks to TT&F and a few choices of my own, its coming together. However, I have encountered something, which needs clarification.

The Slider is set up as such (mentality, closing down etc)

I---------I----------I

With the left minimum bar being 1, and the furthest to the right being 20.

However, when I click the bar to take it up to 10, its one shy of the centre bar:

I-----------I----------I

----------/\ About here - meaning the centre bar is 11.

I've tried it numerous times to make sure I'm not losing it... but, Starting from "1" on the left, perform 9 clicks to take it up to 10 (counting as I go)..and the same happens.

So, can anyone please verify, what is the centre bar meant to be..and what number is it currently? (Also, the same applies going the other way, 20,19,18,17,16 etc)

In all honesty, it doesn't matter, does it? Far left is "the least", far right is "the most", middle (default) is "the middle".

It bugs me too, but the numbers are merely a simpler way of expressing things, I think.

A better idea would be the middle being "0" and numbers to the left being negative.

In all honesty, it doesn't matter, does it? Far left is "the least", far right is "the most", middle (default) is "the middle".

It bugs me too, but the numbers are merely a simpler way of expressing things, I think.

I suppose, but when trying to work on a given set of instructions i.e. DC mentality 12, FC mentality 19...it can have adverse affects that one little team-wide slider position

1 point from your base won't make a difference in my opinion. Just think of ttf suggestions as relative rather than absolute. So not DC 12 FC 19, but DC 12 FC +7 though 12-19 vs 11-20 still doesn't make a huge difference.

Just my opinion though, but I have a different take on tactics sliders in that I wouldn't equate losing a match to having 11-20 instead of 12-19 :)

If the first notch on the slider represented 0, and the last represented 20, then the middle mark would be 10

However, the middle mark between 1 and 20 is 10.5 (10.5 - 9.5 = 1; 10.5 + 9.5 = 20)

Therefore they can't have a centre-mark that's actually in the centre, so you have to pick a side: slightly attacking or slightly defensive. I guess they figured thye might as well default to slightly attacking - hence the centre-mark at 11. (I guess they could have put it in-between two notches, but I'd find that weird)

Not sure if that's what you were asking, or whether I've just wasted a post condescending to your maths skills.

If the first notch on the slider represented 0, and the last represented 20, then the middle mark would be 10

However, the middle mark between 1 and 20 is 10.5 (10.5 - 9.5 = 1; 10.5 + 9.5 = 20)

Therefore they can't have a centre-mark that's actually in the centre, so you have to pick a side: slightly attacking or slightly defensive. I guess they figured thye might as well default to slightly attacking - hence the centre-mark at 11. (I guess they could have put it in-between two notches, but I'd find that weird)

Not sure if that's what you were asking, or whether I've just wasted a post condescending to your maths skills.

Probably the latter Dekker:p after that seventh defeat to Villa, and rational or logic was thrown out of the window!

Archived