Shouldn't slower players have high acceleration?

So according to this thread created by lam, Acceleration is how quickly a player can reach top speed (pace) from a standing start.

Let's assume player X, a very, very slow player. So he should be able to reach "his" top speed in no time at all, which in turn means his acceleration should be high because he can quickly reach his top speed. So shouldn't all slow players have high acceleration stats in FM?

Nope.

Basically, if you have high Pace, then you need more "starting acceleration" to reach maximum pace, because it's alot easier for a slow player to make maximum pace.

If a player has 1 for Pace, then basically 1 Acceleration is enough to reach that top speed.

Whereas a player who has say 20 Pace but 17 Acceleration, he'll be able to almost get to top speed over 10 yards but not quite - however he'd be a bullet over 40 yards!

So according to this thread created by lam, Acceleration is how quickly a player can reach top speed (pace) from a standing start.

Let's assume player X, a very, very slow player. So he should be able to reach "his" top speed in no time at all, which in turn means his acceleration should be high because he can quickly reach his top speed. So shouldn't all slow players have high acceleration stats in FM?

I see your reasoning behind this and it makes perfect sense but somehow it would just look wrong for a player to have say 19 acceleration but 7 pace :D

I don't think pace and acceleration make any difference at all when playing teams from a similar level. I've got the fastest player in the world in my team (only player with 20/20 pace/acceleration) and I haven't seen him skin anyone in 10 years.

I don't think pace and acceleration make any difference at all when playing teams from a similar level. I've got the fastest player in the world in my team (only player with 20/20 pace/acceleration) and I haven't seen him skin anyone in 10 years.

Yeah I was always a little paranoid about this in my Villa save. John Terry always seemed to keep pace with Agbonlahor when running for the ball :eek:

No. As you pointed out acceleration is how quickly a player reaches top speed. Pace and acceleration usually go hand in hand because they are determined by similar physical attributes (in RL). There are exceptions of course, such as tall players who often have decent pace but low acceleration, which means that they can get beaten by a quick opponent 1v1, but when chasing a long ball will be just as fast (due to their long stride).

No. As you pointed out acceleration is how quickly a player reaches top speed. Pace and acceleration usually go hand in hand because they are determined by similar physical attributes (in RL). There are exceptions of course, such as tall players who often have decent pace but low acceleration, which means that they can get beaten by a quick opponent 1v1, but when chasing a long ball will be just as fast (due to their long stride).

I think you've missed his point nni

I think you've missed his point nni

I don't think he has,

Slow players will have low acceleration as although they have less speed to get to it still takes them longer as they have to get their slow bodies moving where as a small quick player will be able to reach top speed quicker as they are light and nimble, even though they have to reach a higher speed.

Hope that makes sense :thup:

I don't think he has,

Slow players will have low acceleration as although they have less speed to get to it still takes them longer as they have to get their slow bodies moving where as a small quick player will be able to reach top speed quicker as they are light and nimble, even though they have to reach a higher speed.

Hope that makes sense :thup:

Not really tbh.

For example, consider the latest ferrari and the oldest car in the world.

Suppose the ferrari's top speed is 300 km/h and the other car's top speed is 5 km/h. Once the ignition is turned, the ferrari will shoot forward yes but it will take some time, say 10 seconds to reach it's top speed. On the other hand, the old car will get to its maximum speed of 5 km/h in less than 10 seconds (unless the car is being held up by Chuck Norris of course). So, shouldn't the 'acceleration' stat of the older car be more than the ferrari's ?

Not really tbh.

For example, consider the latest ferrari and the oldest car in the world.

Suppose the ferrari's top speed is 300 km/h and the other car's top speed is 5 km/h. Once the ignition is turned, the ferrari will shoot forward yes but it will take some time, say 10 seconds to reach it's top speed. On the other hand, the old car will get to its maximum speed of 5 km/h in less than 10 seconds (unless the car is being held up by Chuck Norris of course). So, shouldn't the 'acceleration' stat of the older car be more than the ferrari's ?

WTF?????????

Funnily enough cars accelerating and reaching their top speed are a bit different to humans :rolleyes:

Edit: and anyway, using your silly example, a Ferrari would reach it's top speed of 170mph or whatever a lot quicker than my Fiesta would reach 105mph I would have thought!

WTF?????????

Funnily enough cars accelerating and reaching their top speed are a bit different to humans :rolleyes:

Edit: and anyway, using your silly example, a Ferrari would reach it's top speed of 170mph or whatever a lot quicker than my Fiesta would reach 105mph I would have thought!

It was just an example :D

And your fiesta is not a slow car. Categorize it as medium in terms of speed. Compare really SLOW and really FAST cars.

It was just an example :D

And your fiesta is not a slow car. Categorize it as medium in terms of speed. Compare really SLOW and really FAST cars.

Ok this is silly,

think about a big fat bloke getting started and trying to get up to full speed, it will take him a while just to get moving. Now take someone like Shaun Wright Phillips who can go from standing to flat out very very quickly. Who has the better acceleration ;)

Acceleration by definition isn't how quickly something reaches its top speed. It is a measure of the change in pace over a set amount of time. In the Ferrari-old car case the Ferrari will have better acceleration because it will be faster to reach 5mph.

I'd hope the same applies in football manager. Accelration should be the change in speed they get in a set time period compared to other players (i.e whoevers quickest to 5mph from a standing start has better acceleration even if they then top out at 6 and the other guy continues to 10; although from 6-10 there acceleration is infinitely greater). Pace should only be a limiting factor to stop them accelerating infinitely and reaching a finite speed. Acceleration is a measure of how quickly they change their speed.

Acceleration by definition isn't how quickly something reaches its top speed. It is a measure of the change in pace over a set amount of time. In the Ferrari-old car case the Ferrari will have better acceleration because it will be faster to reach 5mph.

I'd hope the same applies in football manager. Accelration should be the change in speed they get in a set time period compared to other players (i.e whoevers quickest to 5mph from a standing start has better acceleration even if they then top out at 6 and the other guy continues to 10; although from 6-10 there acceleration is infinitely greater). Pace should only be a limiting factor to stop them accelerating infinitely and reaching a finite speed. Acceleration is a measure of how quickly they change their speed.

Ah ha, someone who can put into words that which my brain could not :D

Yeah mate, I know what Acceleration actually means. The rate of change of velocity (speed). I brought this up because of reading that thread and noticing what the manual said about acceleration.

acceleration is explosive power in my mind. so by default the more explosive power the quicker you'll reach your top speed.

if you have low pace then, yes, you will probably hit your top speed quicker but tahts not to do with acceleration.

i think the help explains it slightly too literally.

Archived