The funniest thing I've ever seen

So here is what just happened. It's the Carling Cup 3rd round. My newgen striker has already 2 goals in his first appearance when this happens..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/dalzim/fulhammanu.jpg

He has a clear breakaway and obviously at least an amazing chance to score.

However..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/dalzim/fulhammanu1.jpg

The goalkeeper just faints all of a sudden. So my guy has an empty net.

But..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/dalzim/fulhammanu12.jpg

He puts it sportingly out of play in front of an empty net.

You can imagine my reaction when my guy is clean through on goal, the goalkeeper just falls down on his own and there's an empty net...AND he puts it out of play.

What is this? Would any player ever do this for real?

Has this guy insane amounts of professionalism or something?

Anyway, I just had this so I had to post it. Made me laugh so hard.

I remember Paolo Di Canio doing this at West Ham. I can't remember what the actual situation was but he was standing in front of an open goal and a player was down injured or something and he sportingly put the ball out of play. He got an award for outstanding sportsmanship that season. :thup:

If only a certain Nigerian striker playing for Arsenal back in 1999 would've had the same kind of sportsmanship.

If anyone remembers that incident.

Was that the cup tie against Sheff Utd? When Steve Bruce waved all his players off the park mid-game?

I remember Paolo Di Canio doing this at West Ham. I can't remember what the actual situation was but he was standing in front of an open goal and a player was down injured or something and he sportingly put the ball out of play. He got an award for outstanding sportsmanship that season. :thup:

yeah, I remember that. Against Everton I think. The goalie went down injured, someone crossed it to Paolo to head in but he caught it instead so the keeper could get treatment

If only a certain Nigerian striker playing for Arsenal back in 1999 would've had the same kind of sportsmanship.

If anyone remembers that incident.

What about Arshavin the other week?.. Not all Arsenal players are bad. ;)

No Kanu took a throw in when he shouldnt have done and Arsenal scored from it. Howvere i dont think you can complain about this as Arsenal offered to replay the match and won for a second time! :thup:

Actually, he was perfectly entitled to take it. (Was it with Overmars?) Nowhere in the rules does it say you have to be sporting. It's a gentlemans agreement of sorts, and we all know that gentlemen don't play football. ;)

yeah, I remember that. Against Everton I think. The goalie went down injured, someone crossed it to Paolo to head in but he caught it instead so the keeper could get treatment

That's the badger. I couldn't remember the details. Cheers for refreshing my memory. :)

Does he have a high sportmanship? Or are you a 'fair' manager? That might be the case.

It was easier if he scored, the ref would give some time to treath the goalie too :p

To the other discussion: In Holland a new gentlemen agreement was struck: players will play on, the referee 'must' stop play. This to prefent players from doing things they shouldn't do in those situations ;)

Im pretty sure it was against Portsmouth weren't it and the keeper being Flahavan. It was the second time he collapsed in goal too. A cross came in and as you said, Di Canio caught the ball instead of heading into an unguarded net. Please correct me if im wrong :o

Im pretty sure it was against Portsmouth weren't it and the keeper being Flahavan. It was the second time he collapsed in goal too. A cross came in and as you said, Di Canio caught the ball instead of heading into an unguarded net. Please correct me if im wrong :o

I think it's against Everton.

Thinking of Flahavan though, didn't he die from collapsing at the wheel of his car, or was it drink-driving? :(

Yep. Checked wikipedia (that ever-reliable resource ;)).

"In 2001, he won the FIFA Fair Play Award. The previous December, in a match against Everton, in a noteworthy display of sportsmanship, Di Canio shunned a goal scoring opportunity and caught the ball from a cross instead as the Everton goalkeeper Paul Gerrard was lying injured on the ground after he twisted his knee attempting a clearance on the edge of the box. FIFA described the act as "a special act of good sportsmanship.""

Very funny - lucky your ahead.

It looks like the game is finished though, coz he has been selected as MOM, he has a star next to his name - or is that something else?

That is the injury sign. After the game I checked what made him fall down just like that. He got a dead leg.

Thinking of Flahavan though, didn't he die from collapsing at the wheel of his car, or was it drink-driving? :(

Yes Flahavan died because he suffered from a rare heart defect. I think if I was him I'd have retired after the first collapse.

He also collapsed against Blackburn at Fratton Park similar to the Paolo Di Canio incident,but I think he was taking a goal kick or something.

Apparently when he lost control of his car, he was 3 times over the legal drinking limit.

That probably didn't help with his heart defect then......

No Kanu took a throw in when he shouldnt have done and Arsenal scored from it. Howvere i dont think you can complain about this as Arsenal offered to replay the match and won for a second time! :thup:

Hate the player, not the game :D

It was Di Canio for West Ham vs Everton.

The Everton keeper Paul Gerrard came out to close down the winger and injured himself, the Winger carried on and crossed into the box, where Di Canio caught the ball and stopped play.

Fantastic act of sportsmanship from a fantastic Premier League icon and we'll remember him at Goodison for that.

Also Robbie Fowlers penalty against Arsenal i think it was, The refferee got the descion totaly wrong so Fowler just passed the penalty back to the GK

If that is the one when he went over Seaman, then he did not pass the ball back to the keeper at all. He took it, Seaman saved and then he scored the rebound. He was very sporting in saying it was not a penalty, but he still took it after he knew the referee was not going to change his mind, as he is a professional

If that is the one when he went over Seaman, then he did not pass the ball back to the keeper at all. He took it, Seaman saved and then he scored the rebound. He was very sporting in saying it was not a penalty, but he still took it after he knew the referee was not going to change his mind, as he is a professional

thats correct but it was Jason McAteer that scored the rebound

Maybe i was thinking of something else then. I stand corrected :o

You are correct in a different way. Aaron Flahavan collapsed during Portsmouth's 5 goal-scoring victory over Swindon Town; Swindon took advantage of this and promptly stuck the ball in the net. (See final paragraph for mention of incident http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-bury-to-make-history-after-signing-indian-1119478.html)

And is referred to on this forum, http://www.footballforums.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-7930.html

It is theorised that he was narcoleptic but yes, he did die driving whilst over the legal alcohol limit.

There was a game at Bournemouth, can't remember who it was against might have been peterborough. The away team accidently scored when trying to give the ball back to the Bournemouth keeper, complete mishit. So then, the opposing manager (Peterborough?) told his team to let Bournemouth score. From the resulting kick off Jermaine Defoe through the whole team and popped it in the net.

Thats just fair play gone crazy!

I think the free-kick at the beginning is meant to go out of play!

Thats the same thing that happened at chesterfield this season in the FA cup 2nd round against Droylsden. They kicked up a right fuss over there dumb keeper not catching the ball. (He could have easily caught it if he just moved his arms)

Thats the same thing that happened at chesterfield this season in the FA cup 2nd round against Droylsden. They kicked up a right fuss over there dumb keeper not catching the ball. (He could have easily caught it if he just moved his arms)

Similar goal for Bromley a few weeks back...

Archived