Trial Players

What's the point of this? Are they ever allowed to play for you? You can't even force them to train youth players or make them try a new position. Is it to whet their appetite and make them fall in love with your club (in 4 weeks)?

WhaAat?

What's the point of this? Are they ever allowed to play for you? You can't even force them to train youth players or make them try a new position. Is it to whet their appetite and make them fall in love with your club (in 4 weeks)?

WhaAat?

It's so that you can play them in friendlies and see all their stats to make a decision as to whether to offer them a contract. IRL the football leagues don't allow trial players to play (I don't know about the lower divisions in the Conference), so it's a reflection of real life. I always take trial players where possible to see if they perform well in friendlies.

IRL a trial is a invitation to come and train at a club for anywhere upto a month, in that time the manager and coaching staff can asses if the player is worthing tying to a contract.

Look at the Ex Newcastle defender with Birmingham.

You can sign them up to, I think, some time in November, and then again from 1st Jan to sometime in March.

If for any reason I take on a bunch of trialists, I stick them in the reserves and arrange a friendly reserve tour/match. The ass man tends to play them automatically. You can either take charge yourself or watch the match as your ass man tends to them.

It's a good idea to take a player on trial, as you can see their stats and give them a few friendly/reserve games to see how they get on. However, if you have a player, say, on a 4 week trial, you may regret not signing them up straightaway when another club signs them up from under your nose....very annoying!

Archived