Football Manager - Windows 7 Performance

Hi,

I don't know if anyone else is running Windows 7 at the moment.

And also dont know if it is just me, but on my machine Football Manager 2009 runs about 20-30% faster on Windows 7 compared to Vista, is anyone else using it?

As the speed difference between the two is quite considerable, it loads instantly even with 3GB of graphics installed where as Vista is about 20-30 sec wait to load.

The general speed of the game when clicking continue game also seems to be a lot smoother and faster.

Is this just me or has anyone else noticed the increase of speed.

My Specs Are:

Windows 7 64bit.

Intel Quad Core 9550.

8GB Ram.

Windows 7 is said to be faster than Vista, and generally better.

So that's understandable.

How would you notice a difference with that PC ? You can probably finish a season with 10 leagues running in 4 hours.

I think the whole things hinges on the fact that Windows 7, even in it's current imcomplete stage, is better than Vista ever was. I ran FM09 on the beta and I'm running it right now on the RC, and I agree that it feels much smoother and more responsive than it did when i ran it on Vista.

My specs are nowhere near good as yours; Dual Core 2.33 and 2gb RAM.

I have been using Windows 7 as my main OS since they launched the RC and it is fantastic.

It runs far quicker than Vista and because it is less cluttered all games run better too.

I know its not FM but to give you an idea of the improvement, on Vista I got about 35fps on Crysis, on Windows 7 I get 45fps on exactly the same graphics settings.

You can partition your hd to run both XP and Windows 7 if you like, as a dual boot.

That is really simple to do as when I first installed Windows 7 it was on a test machine, which is dual booting XP and Windows 7 where I work and thought it was brilliant and after that formatted my machine at home completly and got rid of Vista.

I have not checked my machines performance on XP as tbh I hate Windows XP, once you get used to the visual quality of Windows Aero, it is impossible to stare at that butt ugly XP screen for a couple of hours a night.

But I am hugely impressed with Windows 7 and the speed at which it operates, with everything opening and working instantly.

It will take a while to get used to the way new things are, but once you have you wont go back.

The current release RC1 can be downloaded from the Microsoft website and will expire next March I believe but dont worry about that as the full version which I am sure Microsoft would have messed up this wonderful operating system by then, is released on the 23rd October.

There's no official release date for Windows 7 yet. I think Acer leaked that date, but Paul Thurrott (listen to his excellent Windows Weekly podcast with Leo Laporte) thinks it's October 15.

Really struggling to work out why the OP has installed 8GB RAM tbh.

There's no official release date for Windows 7 yet. I think Acer leaked that date, but Paul Thurrott (listen to his excellent Windows Weekly podcast with Leo Laporte) thinks it's October 15.

Really struggling to work out why the OP has installed 8GB RAM tbh.

I have 8GB Ram installed on my machine as after reading forums and system tests, 8GB of ram on a 64bit operating system is where u see a significant increase in system performance.

So I decided to get 8GB of ram for that reason, and since when I upgraded my machine to that spec in October last year ram was really cheap, as I already had 4GB but decided to buy the extra 4GB to make it 8GB.

Archived