Defender collect, you stupid Goalie!

Im running out of ideas how to tell my stupid keeper to pass the ball to a defender.

The sliders for mentality, creative freedom, through balls and crossings and passing are at the very left. I told him to distribute the balls to defenders, I even chose a specific defender (who is on the pitch). But the goalie keeps on kicking the ball uncontrolled into the opponents half providing him with the next chance for an attack. I'm really out of clues here... any help appreciated :)

Wondered about this myself, i think that it has something to do with the GKs eccentricity rating and also the feasibility of passing to said defender.

If for instance the defender in question is heavily marked or the opponents are still pushed right up (after a corner or fk) thats when they seem to ignore their instructions and punt it up the field.

I have found lowering tempo and increasing time wasting helps alot here as it seems to give the team more time to regain its shape and the opponents back off more before the goalie releases the ball. However those settings obviously affect the teams play style heavily in other ways so arent always a good idea.

Basically its like many things to me in FM, a total mystery :D

Im running out of ideas how to tell my stupid keeper to pass the ball to a defender.

The sliders for mentality, creative freedom, through balls and crossings and passing are at the very left. I told him to distribute the balls to defenders, I even chose a specific defender (who is on the pitch). But the goalie keeps on kicking the ball uncontrolled into the opponents half providing him with the next chance for an attack. I'm really out of clues here... any help appreciated :)

I need to know your width settings and your mentality settings for outfield players to help.

All settings are default, sliders in the middle. My defender isn't marked though.

I had a thought that maybe goal kicks are considered as freekicks and therefore my goalkeeper goes for the best header? (my freekick setting)

It is basically a slider translation issue. You are telling your keeper to play very short defensively safe passes but pushing your outfield players forward. The keeper then opts to play a defensively safe ball over the short ball as it quite simply isn't on. The most defensively safe ball is the long punt, so he goes for it.

Make sure the keeper's mentality settings are very close to or the same as the defenders and make his passing higher-short to low-direct. Widen the width slider to push the full backs into more space. Then just apply the short distribution and distribute to settings and it should work fine.

I have a weird problem in that sometimes my keeper does a short pass to my defender and the defender is running towards the opposition so the ball hits the back of his heel and the opposition striker takes the ball and usually scores. Why is this? Happening slightly too often to be a mistake I think.

Don't put your goalkeepers sliders all the way to the left. I never used to touch my goalie, but then started because everyone on the forums seemed to do it. If your keeper's playing it safe (because you have told him to be ultra-defensive) he gets the ball as far away from goal as possible - long punt upfield. It's the same way that if you make your defenders really defensive-minded, then they either kick everything into touch or way downfield, even if they've got short passing instructions.

Keepers aren't idiots (most of the time): you can give them mentality 9 and creative freedom 7 (these are my global settings, which the keeper shares) and they will still do their job. Giving a defender an attacking mentality doessn't turn him into a very-deep-lying forward, it just makes him Rio Ferdinand instead of Jamie Carracgher - more passing, fewer play-it-safe hoofs. Same with goalies - try it and you can get some really nice play, defenders do actually collect, and then pass it out of defence, instead of hoofing it upfield at the first sign of an opposition striker closing down.

You might not want to set a specific defender to collect, because they sometimes pass to him even if he's under pressure. If you leave it blank, they ussually pass it to whichever FB is in most space.

Thanks to wwfan and Dekker, it works now.

@Fire Island: Since my keeper delivered every ball to the opposition it made no difference whether to tell him to pass the ball to a defender and lose it, or lose the ball right away.

Archived