Population vs stadium capacity

Just had a simple question to ask....

...does the population of the town have any bearing on stadium capacity?

For example, I am managing Ascoli and am on the verge of promotion to Serie A.

The town of Ascoli only has a population of 50,000. So does that mean that my stadium attendance will never be more than 50,00 as that is the total population of the town it is in, or can it still be 70,000+ over time?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure that the population of Ascoli will not hold back your attendances in the future. In fact Lens in France has a population of 36k yet a stadium capacity of 41k, so there is also the people from surrounding areas to consider in your attendances.

I was managing Hammerfest in Norway on FM2007. The population of the town is around 6-10,000 I think, but I was getting attendances around 11,000 after a few years of success.

Burnley is also a small town with great attendances.

(OK, maybe not 30,000+, but it's still the same logic)

I think you are stretching the definition of the word 'Great'. They had the 5th lowest attendance in the Championship. I think they are a Great example of a small town club being successful, but I'm sure there are much better examples of high attendance of a small town.

Good Luck to Burnley though, they play some good football.

I actually have always wondered about this.

And actually i read an article on Hoffenheim so it does make some sense that you would be able to get higher attendance than the population of your town. As people have already pointed out, people from the surrounding area are very likely to visit, especially if there isn't a huge team close by. And if your reputation increases a lot, you are more likely to start to pull in fans from other cities as well.

I reckon if you're in a relatively small country (say, Northern Ireland) it doesn't really matter as well, as fans wouldn't need to travel vast distances to watch games. So your fanbase can come from all over the country as well.

I think you are stretching the definition of the word 'Great'. They had the 5th lowest attendance in the Championship. I think they are a Great example of a small town club being successful, but I'm sure there are much better examples of high attendance of a small town.

you will find that burnleys attendance to town population ratio is the best in the country.

They are #1 for per capita support, though.

They are #1 for per capita support, though.

Surely this is the village of Aston, at a population of 26,972, with a football team averaging nearly 40,000 is #1.

Okay, maybe I'm clutching at straws, but I'd like to see a stats table to backup your claim. (And for my own curiousity to see who else is near the top).

Archived