Dundee Utd - Reputation Problems?

I have been managing Dundee utd for nine seasons and have built my team with strong spl players and by bringing through exceptional youngsters. As expected I struggle to hold on to good players due to playing in the SPL and the club being dundee utd. However, it seems that the game allows players to be unsettled far too easily, usually after a youngster plays for one season then managers declare interest through the media. The player gets unsettled and then wants to leave, this is without an offer being made. It gets worse however as this happens with a bunch of players and the entire team gets unhappy with the disharmany at the club.

Additionaly the clubs declaring an interest are not a step up. I'm losing players to clubs in ukraine and championship level. This is riduculous since I have one the league 6 times out of 8, have champions league football and the best training facilites available. My suspicion is that this is down to reputation levels but I am unsure how these work in the game.

I am also struggling in europe, I don't think performances are deserving the results I recieve in the champions league. This years competition a typical example. Screenies include match stats for each of the 6 games and the final standings:

match1.jpg match2.jpg match3.jpg match4.jpg

match5.jpg match6.jpg final_standings.jpg

Don't get me wrong still love the game but these things are starting to spoil it a bit now. Have I done all I can at utd or is it just a case of trying to build the reputation more? Has anyone else experianced this?

I agree that reputation plays too much of a part in this game, but this is the way it is. Hopefully something will be changed for FM10 in regards to reputation, but for FM09 you have probably gone as far as you can, as league reputation can't change and club reputation only goes up slowly. It will be about 30-40 years of winning everything before you have the same rep as Man Utd, Milan etc. Which is wrong, but thats how the game works.

I'd stick with the game, try and take a team that is constantly being torn apart to CL glory!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and welcome to the forums :)

Reputation does play a big part. I would stick at it, as you will increase their reputation the more you win. Also, if you can, sign some big names as this also increases your reputation I believe.

As an aside, which skin are you using?

I have the same problems with Hearts despite being worth 500 million with about 180million in the bank a 70000 seater stadium and my third champions league title under my belt it is still tough to persuade the mega stars to play for me.

It's 2020 I have won the league about 9 times in a row, CL 3 times, World Cup champs 2, Euro super cup 1 domestic cups a lot and still no big players want to join. Which is unrealistic if you ask me. If Messi or some big player was still playing and I offer 100mill to the club and 150,000k a week I would probably get my man in real life. But that is not the way I play... I like to sign hundreds of young kids and loan them out build them up and find the gems and promote them to the first team or cash in on them. I have got to the stage now that im 60 games unbeaten won 35 games in a row and have what I consider the best squad in the world. It's kind of silly by 2020 and I just beat Liverpool 6-0 in the CL final I was really worried about losing... as my keeper (Akinfeev) was injured but then Liverpool put out a retirement squad... only two players under 30 and at least 6 players like Torres over 35! I find that cpu mangers just dont keep their teams as good as they should be with a few exceptions... AC Milan/Barcelona and a few others still have seriously good teams but still have the 35 year old plus players letting them down a bit.

So yeah at my stage of the game I dont need to splash out mega money on a hugh star anymore... but id still like too!

This is riduculous since I have one the league 6 times out of 8,

Sorry to point this out but instead of one it should be won.

Been noticing that alot actually recently.

There is also a thread i read which kind of inclined that the leagues reputation could never increase/decrease no matter what team was performing brilliantly.

Yeah league reputation is static and can never change. League rep acts as a cap on club rep meaning that in Scotland for example, no matter how successful you are, you can never be as big as the current big clubs in the higher profile leagues.

Archived