Why is it difficult with world class teams?

After doing tough seasons with Luton and Southampton, being a 'world class' team was what i felt i deserved in a way.

So I have been Man.United, Chelsea, Barcelona, Tottenham (I no not world class but still very good) and Real Madrid. But with none of these teams have i had any joy.

In most matches I am dominated by lower league teams and if I do win it is very unconvincing and normally 1-0 if that!

Is this a problem with other people or is it just me? Any help please?

Much appreciated!

I've just started a season with Manchester City after my PC was wiped.. I was winning games 2-0 and 3-0 and on 3-4 occasions including UEFA Cup Qualifying I won 8-0..Now i've played my first game I only won 1-0 !

Perhaps after your seasons with Luton and Southampton built tactics with a mindset slanted towards those teams. When you came to manage the 'giants' you had the same tactical ideas, and they did not translate as well into teams with superior players, who will thrive playing a different kind of football to those less able talents you managed previously.

Maybe be a bit harsher with team talks? Most players should be able to take it. Also, you might have to play more adventurously, as teams will 'park the bus', unlike when you manage so called weaker teams.

I actually find it ridiculously easy as a 'World Class' side. You have much more freedom to choose formation, tactics, players and transfer targets.

Once you've gotten a good club setup after a few seasons, you'll dominate year after year.

This thread could get out of hand, theres oh so many reasons why you're not doing well.

Have a look in the 'Good Player and Team Guide' section and view the Barcelona thread etc. Theres some very helpful people in there with knowledge of how to get the best from Barcelona.

I have two savegames going, one with Newcastle being a world-class side after a tycoon takeover and one with Wolves.

With Newcastle I finished 8th, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, now currently 1st in 5th season. Won FA Cup, League Cup, CL and World Club Cup once each, but never achieved the league finish I wanted and could expect with my side.

Now with Wolves I won promotion in the first year and now in the second year I'm 4th in the Premier, comfortably beating even some of the top 4 at times. Obviously my Wolves side is nowhere near as good as my Newcastle side.

In both saves I'm using the very same tactic with at most minor alterations for attacking corners or long shots, depending on the personal strengths of my first eleven.

Maybe now I have managed to get Newcastle going by increasing the micro-management of tactics, but I think the main explanation for the different degrees of success (surely finishing 4th with Wolves in 2009/10 may even be a bigger success than winning the CL with billionaire-Newcastle) is the opposition tactics. With Newcastle I'm usually favourites and meet a very defensive opposition. With Wolves I'm the underdog and my players will get space in attack.

That leads to my assumption that my tactic works better for a mediocre side than for a top side with top side reputation, i.e. works better against attacking opposition than against defending opposition.

Against teams which are sitting back you have to change your approach a bit. You have to play slower, more patiently and more attacking. Otherwise you will often lose posession and find your defense exposed. Often enough you might only win 1-0, but winning 1-0 ALWAYS is quite a tough challenge to achieve. It's difficult outplaying a defensive oppodent every time, so you have to be patient and win at all in the first place.

So my guess is that this is why you struggle to have success and fun with the very top teams.

I have two savegames going, one with Newcastle being a world-class side after a tycoon takeover and one with Wolves.

With Newcastle I finished 8th, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, now currently 1st in 5th season. Won FA Cup, League Cup, CL and World Club Cup once each, but never achieved the league finish I wanted and could expect with my side.

Now with Wolves I won promotion in the first year and now in the second year I'm 4th in the Premier, comfortably beating even some of the top 4 at times. Obviously my Wolves side is nowhere near as good as my Newcastle side.

In both saves I'm using the very same tactic with at most minor alterations for attacking corners or long shots, depending on the personal strengths of my first eleven.

Maybe now I have managed to get Newcastle going by increasing the micro-management of tactics, but I think the main explanation for the different degrees of success (surely finishing 4th with Wolves in 2009/10 may even be a bigger success than winning the CL with billionaire-Newcastle) is the opposition tactics. With Newcastle I'm usually favourites and meet a very defensive opposition. With Wolves I'm the underdog and my players will get space in attack.

That leads to my assumption that my tactic works better for a mediocre side than for a top side with top side reputation, i.e. works better against attacking opposition than against defending opposition.

Against teams which are sitting back you have to change your approach a bit. You have to play slower, more patiently and more attacking. Otherwise you will often lose posession and find your defense exposed. Often enough you might only win 1-0, but winning 1-0 ALWAYS is quite a tough challenge to achieve. It's difficult outplaying a defensive oppodent every time, so you have to be patient and win at all in the first place.

So my guess is that this is why you struggle to have success and fun with the very top teams.

I think this responce is right on the button to be honest

Not having much experience with FM 09 but with other FM games I to have had this problem.

This post I have quoted says it all really

Archived