The Great South African Takeover - The Game Thread

The Great South African Takeover - The Game

28th June 2008

A shock turn of events in South Africa today. A consortium of 32 super rich businessmen have bought all the rights to the league system in South Africa.

A spokesperson for the consortium released this statement.

"With the impending world cup in 2010, we want to make football in South Africa the most enviable in the world. We have pooled our resources and bought the best players in the world, the best coaches and provided each of our new clubs with super stadiums. We want the continent of Africa to be the leader in football, and to wrestle the dominance of Europe."

Each of the 32 businessmen will be the chairman of one club - 16 in the top tier, 16 in the lower tier, which will be split into two leagues of 8 teams each. This paper believes that the best players will leave South Africa once hte money has dried up and move back to Europe, but hopes that the new league will become the best in the world.

Each club will also have an affiliated club in the 2nd tier of England, Spain or Italy. The club chosen cannot be affiliated with any other club, so it's first come first serve!

The Cape Town Gazette waits in earnest for statements from the clubs once they have been confirmed as entrants to the new league.

1st July 2008

Within 48 hours South Africa has become the centre of the worlds attention - with all of the worlds best players leaving their clubs to come play for their new clubs in South Africa.

Full details of the clubs taking part, team selections etc will be provided soon.

Again, this jounalist waits with eager anticipation for statements from each club. The former president of South Africa, the iconic Nelson Mendela has agreed to chair a club of the best raw South African talent to prepare for the World Cup in 2010.

Full rules of the league system and each competition will be displayed soon as wel1, but the new South African league system consists of two divisions, the 2nd division is split into two leagues of eight teams. while the top division has 16 teams.

10th July 2008

With the players touching down to South Africa, each player has been given a fresh South African passport, and if not already declared for their national side will be eligible to play for South Africa if they wish. Also transfers rules are different, full rules to come but players can move without agents fees etc if both chairmen agree during specified dates, generally at the end of a season.

With rivalries already heating up between teams in the inaugral year of the new South African league system, the Cape Town gazette can reveal that the consortium has already had some fallings out. Slavica Ecclestone and Lily Safra have both agreed not to appear at the opening ceremony, igniting a fierce rivalry between their teams, Kimberley Diamonds and the KwaZulu Natal Warriors.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leagues

The Heath Ledger Memorial League

Cape Town Comets

CSKA Brinsworth

Exiguous FC

Fire Lions

Huddersfield Vista

Mongolione

Msunduzi FC

Nakatomi Corp

Sahara Bedouins

Serengetti Spaghetti

Soul Drinkers

Southern Fire

Starbeck Utd

Sunderland Sharks

The A-Team

Windsor Allstars

The SLEC Radic League

Extras

FCUW

Heatley Warriors

K.Z.N.

Kimberley

SA All Stars

Sleepy Hollow

The Savannah Bulls

The Heurelho Gomes Blundersliga

Angry Beavers

Bubblegum FC

Cape Town Buccaneers

Crikey FC

FC Into

Hulkster's Heroes

SA Top Guns

The Clan

Cup Competitions

Knockout Cup - First Round Draw 08.09.2008

The Fergy Champions Cup - Semi Final Draw 01.08.08

The Steve Irwin Memorial Cup - Quarter Final Draw 25.07.08

The SI Games FA Cup - First Round Draw 09.02.09

The Supremely Fantastic Cup - First Round Draw 11.08.08

Continental Competitions

African Cup Winners' Cup - Quarter Final

Exiguous FC & Huddersfield Vista taking part.

African Champions League - Group Stage

Serengetti Spaghetti & Mongolione taking part.

Winning Heath Ledger Memorial League = 10 points

Winning Steve Irwin Memorial Cup = 8 points

Winning SLEC Radic League = 5 points

Winning Heurelho Gomes Blundersliga = 5 points

Winning the SI Games FA Cup = 4 points

Winning the Knockout Cup South Africa = 3 points

Winning The Supremely Fantastic Cup = 2 points

Gaining Promotion from First Division = 2 points

Winning The Fergy Champions Cup = 1 point

Relegation from Heath Ledger Memorial League = -2 points

Winning African Champions League = 2 points (since it's quite easy!)

Winning African Cup Winners Cup = 2 points (again, v v easy!)

Winning Club World Championship = 2 points (should be easy)

Winning African Super Cup = 1 point

Competition History (as they are won)

Heath Ledger Memorial League

2010 - hawkini - Serengetti Spaghetti

2009 - fergysafc - Sunderland Sharks

SLEC Radic League

2010 - magvest - The Savannah Bulls

2009 - Denther - Sleepy Hollow

Heurelho Gomes Blundersliga

2010 - Lardman_CDB - Crikey FC

2009 - TanO - FC Into

The Fergy Champions Cup

2009 - DodgeeD - Cape Town Comets

2008 - seanydude - Mongolione

Knockout South Africa

2009 - Swafe - Starbeck Utd

2008 - Demon4 - CSKA Brinsworth

Steve Irwin Memorial Cup

2009 - JamboJen - Southern Fire

2008 - Swafe - Starbeck Utd

The Supremely Fantastic Cup

2009 - Hamuel - Kimberley Diamonds

2008 - KiddingChoc - Bubblegum FC

The SI Games FA Cup

2010 - seanydude - Mongolione

2009 - Swafe - Starbeck Utd

African Champions League

2009 - seanydude - Mongolione

2008 - Hawkini - Serengetti Spaghetti

African Cup Winners Cup

2009 - brambleten - Soul Drinkers

2008 - m1234566778 - Huddersfield Vista

African Super Cup

2010 - seanydude - Mongolione

Club World Championship

2009 - seanydude - Mongolione

2008 - Hawkini - Serengetti Spaghetti

Bonus Point Winners

Quiz 1 - Swafe - 2 points

Quiz 2 - Demon4 - 1 point

Quiz 2 - hamilton162 - 1 point

Quiz 2 - Chubsie - 1 point

Quiz 2 - Hamuel - 1 point

Quiz 2 - Denther - 1 point

Quiz 2 - AdzH - 1 point

Quiz 2 - KiddingChoc - 1 point

Quiz 2 - coldkohmew - 3 points

Quiz 2 - Swafe - 1 point

Quiz 2 - mendi - 1 point

POS  NAME               CLUB                         POINTS
-----------------------------------------------------------
1    Swafe              Starbeck Utd                  18
2    Hawkini            Serengetti Spaghetti          14
3=   fergysafc          Sunderland Sharks             10
3=   seanydude          Mongolione                    10
5    JamboJen           Southern Fire                  8
6=   TanO               FC do Intocável                7
6=   Lardman_CDB        Crikey FC                      7
6=   magvest            The Savannah Bulls             7
9    Denther            Sleepy Hollow                  6
10   Demon4             CSKA Brinsworth                4
11=  coldkohmew         Club For Extra Players         3
11=  Hamuel             Kimberley Diamonds             3
11=  KiddingChoc        Bubblegum FC                   3
14=  DodgeeD            Cape Town Comets               1
14=  Chubsie            Cape Town Bucaneers            1
14=  hamilton162        FC United of Wycombe           1
14=  AdzH               SA TopGuns                     1
14=  mendi              Heatley Warriors               1
19=  m1234566778        Huddersfield Vista             0
19=  Almondo            Sahara Bedouins                0
19=  bergtaur           Msunduzi FC                    0
19=  Cardiovascular     The A Team                     0
19=  kasorabiva4        Fire Lions                     0
19=  Blanco             Nakatomi Corporation           0
19=  iamjerome          Exiguous FC                    0
19=  Liniert            Angry Beavers                  0
19=  RockLobster        The Clan                       0
19=  ~Ian~              Hulkster's Heroes              0
19=  brettney1980       KwaZulu Natal Warriors         0
19=  brambleten         Soul Drinkers                  0
31   weeeman27bob       Windsor Allstars              -2

Leagues & Cup Rules

The top tier, or the Heath Ledger Memorial League, has 1 champion, which enters the African Champions League. The 2nd placed team also enters the African Champions League.

The winner of the SI Games FA Cup gains entry into the African Cup Winners Cup. If this team is in the Champions League, then the runner up gains the place. If both are in the champions league, this place goes on league position (3rd).

The bottom placed (16th) team is automatically relegated from the top tier.

The 2nd tier, consists of two leagues. League A, or the SLEC Radic League, consists of 8 teams, and League B - the Heurelho Gomes Blundersliga, conists of 8 teams. Whichever team gains the most points out of BOTH leagues, gains automatic promotion.

The 3 best teams after (i.e. 1st and 2nd from the other league, and 2nd from the league where 1st was automatically promoted) + the 15th placed team in the top tier, go into a 4 way knockout competition to decide who goes/stays in the Top Tier (Heath Ledger Memorial League).

The Knockout South Africa Cup, is contested between ONLY the 16 teams in the top tier, it is straight knockout.

The Fergy Champions Cup is an almost pre-season cup which consists of 4 teams, generally the winners of divisons + cup winners from the previous season. It is straight knockout.

The Steve Irwin Memorial Cup is contested between the top 8 teams from the previous season in the Heath Ledger Memorial League. The winner gets a vast jackpot - very high reputation + prize money.

The SI Games sponsored FA Cup is open to ANY FA registered South African team, and is straight knockout.

The Supremely Fantastic Cup is a knockout competition contested ONLY by the 2nd division teams (the Heurelho Gomes Blunderliga AND the SLEC Radic League).

Rules on transfers of players inside this thread will be posted later at the end of the season.

From the Press Conference at the opening of the Hawkini Bowl and training camp for the Serengetti Spaghetti team.

(Sir Alan Sugar) I am delighted to enter my team, Serengetti Spaghetti to the Heath Ledger Memorial League - an aptly named league commemorating the life and vitality of a great actor. My team, affectionately known by only myself at the moment as "The Pasta Shapes" has routes in my Italian Pasta business since my credibility has gone down after appearing on the Apprentice.

I would like to welcome my favourite player Didier Drogba to say a few words.

(Didier) Eh

(Sir Alan) Didier, you know, your new team - you said you were happy to come to South Africa for £100,000 a week?

(Didier) You show me the grass, and I'll roll on it for that money.

(Sir Alan) Nice. Anyway - apart from those numpties at the Cape Town Comets being led by that tit Richard Branson I hope we all have a lot of fun and raise the importance of this great continent. Oh Branson, if you're listening - have fun in the Blundersliga next season, coz that's where you belong.

Great to see this one started. I can't really make any predictions on where my Savannah Bulls will finish, but the team looks good and me, Mr Jordan and Mr Magnusson looks forward to the season..

From the desk of Tiger Woods

Ladies and gentlemen, I am proud to be telling you the news that Msunduzi FC will soon begin play at Nike International Field. The squad is very excited and I am certain that our manager, Mr. Ryan Bergman, will surely be the man to take us to the top of the Ledger Memorial League. We also wish well to my good friends Mr. Hamilton, Mr. Jordan, and of course Mr. Mandela. We will push hard for victory, and we will never give up!

TW

i had a look at my squad together before this, and apparently it would have been an achievement to finish in the top half of the premiership with them, and that was with heavy strengthening to the defense and midfield

Looking great so far Hawkini :thup: (apart from Alan Sugar's derisive comments but I'm sure we'll be hearing back from Richard Branson tomorrow ;))

Out of interest, what are the media predictions on our finishing positions?

Damn! My team are devastated! Maybe should have put more points into motivation :o

Defense looking nice & impenetrable :D should be a good season for us!! If only i had fewer DMs... couple will go to waste with all the other talent there methinks :(

Guess we'll see how the manager manages ;) looking supremely fantastic as always, Hawkini! Keep up the fantastically supreme work!

Seated atop his gold throne in his new South African palace, Prince Philip about his team, the Windsor Allstars.

" One is simply delighted to be in this position. One may not know the most about soccer, but one knows lots about money and prestige" he said, allowing himself a little chuckle.

Sporting his crown on his aged brow His Royal Highness went on to talk about his teams chances this season. " We might not have the strongest squad, but we'll do our best. That's the British way. We'll have a stiff upper lip and be awfully polite and good at queuing. However with our shirts made out of the finest albino hair, we'll certainly look the part.

HRH doesn't normally talk to people for very long, and by this point was running out of things to say. To give himself some thinking time he called up the captain to speak to speak to the press. " I'd now like to invite Mr Terry Henry to say a few words.

The speedy Frenchman started to speak. " I' am very plised to be working 'ere avec ze Windzor Allstars. I am also very plised to be ze captain of ze tim. I 'ope I can give the team some, how you say?, va va voom. Me and Emmanuel will try to score lots of the goals because we like score the goals. 'opefully we will do very well. Hand er maybe 'is Royal 'ighness will be able to say my name properly.

" Yes well thank you awfully old chap." said Prince Philip. " Now what did you do in the war?" he asked, looking one journalist replied. The stuttered reply came back that he wasn't alive then. " Well off with his head then" replied the monarch.

" Now, I've got to leave to go and shoot some natives. I wouldn't want them running round my estate. Help yourselves to some of my finest Bollinger and Caviar before you leave."

He then mounted his favourie polo horse and rode off into the sunset.

the views shown by Prince Philip do not reflect those of the poster

Like A Virgin - Branson Speaks About His First Venture Into The Beautiful Game

Richard Branson, founder and chairman of the new Cape Town Comets team has spoken today about his excitement about entering a club into the newly-formed Heath Ledger Memorial League in South Africa. Branson said he hoped to get off to a successful start, stating it was 'nice to be on top already, even if only by alphabetical order'.

When asked how he managed to get hold of the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi for this venture, he somewhat baffled journalists by replying 'I simply made the highest 5 digit bid without a recurring number'.

Brason also responded to comments made yesterday by Serengetti Spaghetti founder Alan Sugar. 'He is a bit of a mouthy one, isn't he?' was about as vicious as it got from Mr Branson although he did add that he looked forward to Sugar inevitably sacking his coaching staff one by one as he does on 'that silly TV show'. He added that Sugar had chosen an appropriate name for his team as he expected his attempt at running a football club to be 'a tangled up mess'.

Looking forward to the start of the season Hawkini - great work so far :thup:

Press Conference at Bonzer Arena

Crikey FC held their first press conference today, attended by club chairman Shane Warne and his former international cricket team-mate Glenn McGrath, now manager of the club. Garth Crooks was there to ask the incisive questions.

Garth Crooks: Shane, Glenn, you've entered the Heurelho Gomes Blundersliga with a team very much based on your own nationalities, that is to say Australian, which, it goes without saying, is in stark contrast with the majority of your playing staff who are of course literally devoid of a single player who is in that way patriated. Do you think that given the differences in ideology between Australia, the country of both your births and which you have represented in the sport of cricket for many years, and the myriad of varying countries represented by the players you employ to represent your club, there could be issues regarding communication of ideas on the pitch?

Shane Warne: What, mate?

GC: Let me rephrase my question. Taking on board the strong political and philosophical traits ingrained in the Australian psyche, which both yourself and Glenn embody to a great degree, how do you contrast the melting pot of national identities that will now have to form the basis of your challenge for a title?

SW: Look, mate, I have no idea what you just said, but I don't really give a monkey's. What's important is that this is a team that's gonna challenge for great things, that's why I've brought Glenn here in to the club to make things happen.

Glenn McGrath: Yeah, totally agree with Shane there, in fact I can see us winning every single one of our matches. I'm not being arrogant, that's just how it is.

GC: I'll move on to the next question, then. Shane, care to respond to the story in the Daily Mail about one of your recent text messages?

SW: Aw, right, that's f*****' done it. You can take your press conference and stick it where the sun don't shine. Don't try that again. Come on, Glenn.

Mr Warne and Mr McGrath leave the conference room.

When asked by Sky News what Mohammed Al Amoudi thoughts were as followed.

"وإنني أشعر بسعادة بالغة لهذا الجديد لكرة القدم وفريق "سي اس ك أ Brinsworth" لأنها لا تذهب وأفضل في "هيث ليدجر في جامعة ميموريال". اعتقد ان ذلك سيكون صعبا في الموسم ولكن اذا بقينا حتى نحصل على مزيد من الاموال وأحب المال."

When asked when he is going to learn english he replayed.

"Yes, very good luck to team".#

(copyright google translorter)

Bedouins Chairman Excited about new League

When asked about his feelings about the new South African league Sahara |Bedouins Chairman Robert Kraft replied "I'm exited about this new league . That's why I jumped at the chance to enter a team". He then went on to say that he was happy with his team and his new manager.

He went on to say that a press conference will be called so that his manager Dave Lister can outline his plans for the team and season

All was quiet in the Gryffindor dormitory until a loud bang woke Harry and Ron...

Oh, no, I've finished that lot off haven't I? Yes, no more quidditch for me. I thought it was time I waved my wand over the beatiful game so here I am, (Hog)warts and all.

I am delighted to part of the new broom to sweep South African football into the limelight. As Chairwoman of Southern Fire I am delighted to announce the apponitment of our new manager, Jenny Addison. After a very successful spell in charge of Macclesfield Town as well as being a native of my adopted home, Edinburgh, I have absolute faith that she can cast a spell over the rest of the league and lead us to the magic of the title.

First update tomorrow - includes fixture results of the first game of the inaugral leagues + tree views of all competitions that have started - including the winner of the first ever Champions Cup!

The first update will NOT include stats of teams or players, just an indication of things to come. Next update will be exactly half way through the season. It will include player ratings for each team + loads more. Thanks for bearing with me for the first update - lots of plans were changed over the bank holiday!

FC do Intocavel Press Release

Speaking outside his holiday home on the Costa Smeralda in Sardinia, FC do Intocavel Chairman Silvio Berlusconi made the following statement

"You have no doubt read the news that I am divorcing my wife, and now is a great time for a young leader like myself to spread my wings and embrace new challenges. As the leader of the greatest footballing nation on the planet it is my duty to educate others about the beautiful game !

I have bought some of the worlds greatest players to the Blundersliga, a league I named in honour of the joy I have been given this season from watching Heurelho Gomes in the English Premier Division with Tottenham this season. This Goalkeeper is proof that it doesn't matter what position you play, you can entertain a whole nation with a football and like myself, if you set your mind to it you can overcome anything through honest hard work !

Finally I would like just like to say I have bought FC Into as a birthday present for my new beautiful young girlfriend, who will be revealed once she has had the necessary media coaching."

South African Times

The millionaire takeover in South Africa has brought the world's media to Cape Town. Our reporter Zumu Langa caught up with Sleepy Hollow chairman Johnny Depp.

Zumu Langa - Mr Depp, why have you decided to be a part of this South African football takeover?

Johnny Depp - Well, I've made a lot of money in acting and fancied a bit of a change.

Zumu Langa - People are a bit sceptical of your choice of manager, Ichabod Crane. In fact people are saying you haven't chosen a manager at all, as he doesn't exist.

Johnny Depp - Of course he does, Ichabod, this journalist would like a word...

Ichabod Crane - Can I help?

Zumu Langa - But you're not real???????

Ichabod Crane - If you are purporting that I am a figment of your imagination, you should perhaps take a deeper look into the methods of scientific deduction and reasoning. For without this, I would have looked upon the Headless Horseman, concluded he was not real, until losing my head, when I would have realised my mistake. By then, of course, it being too late.

Zumu Langa - I'm going for a lay down...

Breaking News: Cruise issues press release

I would like to take this oppotunity to say how happy I am to be part of this, I really believe it will 'take-off' and I want to reassure my many fans that I am here for the 'long-haul'. I have every faith in the young maverick manager Maverick, he has an attacking attitude, a disregard for authority and looks alot like me - just a bit younger, infact he's alot like me...

I expect little 'turbulance' with the players adjusting to the league and this teams ethos of attacking style, althrough I predict many a 'dog-fight' in the midfield area. I want the Danger Zone to become a dangerous zone for visiting teams and fully expect this team to deliver the results with little 'acrobatics'.

So, i implore my fans to make themselves comfortable, make sure their seats are back and tables in the upright position and enjoy the in match entertainment. There will be no risk that the SA TopGuns will 'crash and burn'.

T. Cruise

Early indications are that the SA TopGuns have responded positively to Mr Cruises' statement and fans are hotly anticipating a successful season.

Breaking News

FC United Chairman Lewis Hamilton has announced his intentions to spend, spend, spend following the news that his team were to start in the lower divisions. He said "There is only one way out of the bottom division, and that is to spend, spend and spend some more. This club deserves a place in the top division and Tom Hamilton shall be given the money to guide us into it.

When asked about the limit of money spent, Mr Hamilton replied by saying "Well, i can't put a specific figure on it. However, i do hope that Mr Ecclestone does not try to put a budget cap on spending in this sport"

KUTGW Mate :thup: Can't wait for the first update :)

Monday 25th August 2008

"A weekend to remember"

The weekend of the 23rd/24th August will long be remembered as it was the first matches of the new footballing league in South Africa.

All 32 teams took part in their respective leagues, and also over the last few weeks some cup competitions have been played.

Let's take a look in the First Division first, and the SLEC Radic League.

SLEC Radic League Standings

SLEC Radic League Fixtures

All teams at home won over the weekend - with Heatley and Kimberley doing themselves great favours to be in the promotion play-offs at the end of the season.

The Heurelho Gomes Blundersliga Standings

The Heurelho Gomes Blundersliga Fixtures

The team on form here is quite obviously the SA Top Guns, who had the easiest tie at home. Both them and the Buccaneers look good for the end of season promotion play-offs.

Heath Ledger Memorial League Standings

Heath Ledger Memorial League Fixtures (Sat)

Heath Ledger Memorial League Fixtures (Sun)

It's looking ominous already for The Pasta Shapes and The Mongers as they were thrashed by The Comets and the Sahara Bedouins respectively.

Cup Competitions

Out first cup winner - in the "Fergy Champions Cup" (although it is just a pre-season warmer upper) was Mongolione - congrats!

The Fergy Champions Cup

And the first division cup - aptly named the Supremely Fantastic Cup to hide the shame that you're actually only playing in 2nd tier football - got under way.

The Supremely Fantastic Cup

And the Steve Irwin Memorial Cup - for the top eight teams in last seasons top tier (Heath Ledger league) got under way. Don't forget this is a high reputation pots of cash tournament!

The Steve Irwin Memorial Cup

Continental Cup Competitions

The African Champions League and Cup Winners Cup is looking good for our new super SA teams...

African Champions League

Sorry no Pic of CWC - will try and get that up tonight.

And finally - a quick look at the English Premiership - some not so rather surprising results since all the best players have been cherry picked ;) I will also post some update pics of Serie A and Liga BBVA once they have started to see the progress of the so called big teams!

Damn, already out of the supremely fantastic cup :(

But off to a good start in the league. Top of the table*

*I choose not to acknowledge the fact that only one game is gone, or that we are in the second division. Here come the Warriors! :D

Supremely Fantastic cup quarter final - Sleepy Hollow v Top Flops, Awesome :)

2 games, 2 wins, can't complain :)

Good update Hawkini :thup:

Gonig to get a beating Depp, TopGuns will be Top Flight in 2 seasons.

Archived