Board Confidence in Cup competitions...

Hey

I have recently started a game as Cardiff City, and my expectations in the cup competitions were to get to the third round. I thought this was fair enough, however, i got a 2nd round draw against Wigan. Obviously, i should not be expected to win this game; and i did lose it. However, ever since this match the board have moaned at me for not reaching their expectations in the cup competitions! These expectations can only be detrimental for my future at the club, and may see me get sacked if I dont achieve their aims...

Does anyone else find this a problem??

Hey

I have recently started a game as Cardiff City, and my expectations in the cup competitions were to get to the third round. I thought this was fair enough, however, i got a 2nd round draw against Wigan. Obviously, i should not be expected to win this game; and i did lose it. However, ever since this match the board have moaned at me for not reaching their expectations in the cup competitions! These expectations can only be detrimental for my future at the club, and may see me get sacked if I dont achieve their aims...

Totally agree Mack, it ends up being just as reliant on the luck of the draw in such a case. Board expectations should be adjusted in a situation like that, way too rigid at present for cups, and the board will bring it up every month which is silly! Dont hold your breath though, its not a problem exclusive to FM09 - SI should have sorted this before now, last year on FM08 I had a Leeds game where I was winning every match but I got knocked out of the JPT in QF's (which the board expected me to win)and the board kept on going on about it every month, it spoilt my whole save game!

Hey

They wont be to dissapointed there probably just over reacting. :thup:

hate this myself as everton im always expected to reach the quarters but most times end up with Chelsea, Arsenal or Man U before that stage

Expections should appear after the draw of each round eg. Expect the team to qualify for the next round, expect the team to enjoy the experience of the next round etc

Wait - go to the confidence screen: what is the board confidence percentage for the cup? It should say something like "the board are disappointed, but can understand why you lost to Wigan" and be no lower than 45%.

If you mean that they mention it in their monthly appraisals, that's a sign you're doing well - if they don't have anything significantly bad to mention, they mention insignificant things instead (your signing of a 16 yr old who doesn't play, or your understandable elimination from the cup)

I'm pretty sure they said this was fixed in FM09:confused:
why haven't they sorted this yet???

The FM'09 fix was the line indicated earlier:

"Disappointed that we were knocked out short of our expectations, but we understand why we lost to Manchester United."

The real problem here is the board feeling like it has to complain about something.

The way it currently works is, each little component of the Confidence screen gets a "score" - losing 2-0 away to Chelsea might score a 45, slight disappointment, Joe Smith's fine form might score a 65 and "pleased", our fine league form (we're fourth when we were predicted to 12th) might be worth 70, that 2-0 win over Man U's reserve side in the League Cup quarter-finals might score a 75, the fact that you're over the wage budget and losing money might score a 40, and getting knocked out in the Third Round of the FA Cup, even to Man U, when you were expected to reach the Fourth Round, might score a 38.

The main "Confidence" screen then picks the single BEST and single WORST line item from all of the other Confidence screens, and tells you. In our example above, it would tell us that the board are especially pleased with our 2-0 win over Manchester United, but are disappointed that we were knocked out of the F.A. Cup at the Third Round.

This could be adjusted a bit if each line item were given a "weight" as well - so that things like "League Placing", "Wage Budget", and similar are given much higher weight with the main screen - in our example, it feels to me like the board should have told me "We're especially pleased with our excellent league placing, but are disappointed at your lack of control over our wage bill."

In fact, you could even take it a step further, and let the weights change over time .. so that "League Placing" becomes more and more important the deeper into the season we get, for example.

Archived