First team opportunities

Just to gauge you lots opinion on giving the kids a chance to develop.

If you had no injuries all year, how often would you give a promising player a chance in the first team in a bid to develop him quicker?

If you take out reserve games and loans out (affiliates or otherwise) if you have some promising kids in your reserves/u18 team would you only give them a run out in the easy cup matches? Or give them a chance to shine on a bigger stage? And how often?

I'm currently playing as Benfica, and I have brought through a whole generation of youngsters to play in the first team and they have developed so much from a single season of first team football it's amazing how much faster they've developed compared to loan outs/reserve matches.

good question..

i do it a little tbh im city and in 2017 and i have a few 17/18/19 year old lads who i play lets say when im playing weaker teams or in early stages of the cup..

but i also have a few loaned out to lesser clubs like bury etc which i find helps so a mixture helps i think

• 3 weeks later...

I remember reading on here somewhere that the minimum number of games you should look to give your youths is around 20, but preferably around 25. IRL I could point to Mourinho doing that this season (almost) with Santon - he's played around 18 I think.

It's great that your players have came on so well to date, but what that might lead to is peaking too early - I have no evidence of this; again, it's just something I've noticed being mentioned here.

IMHO I go along with the content of this thread.

I usally wouldnt bring any of the young players into the team for any league games. However league cup and FA Cup games against teams two divisions below me and I fill the first team squad with them.

I do a fair bit, I have seasons where I dont though, but most youngster are out on loan. Had up to 30ish players out on loan. Always get one or two that return a totally different player its amazing.

Sometimes it comes down to just taking the risk. I had a highly rated fullback aged 16, who got games during the season. Sold my 26 year old fullback for 15mil or so, and put the young lad in to start, from then on he just held his place, got heaps of assists. In big games though it helps to have experience as backup. But my advice (in 2019 in my save) just take a risk for your first team and use feeders.

In my West Ham game, I've brought quite a few well known youngsters through into my 1st team. Over the last 2 seasons they have been given between 12-15 1st team starts with quite a few substitute appearances. I've noticed this has been a great benefit on the majority of them and with each season that passes I am gradually giving them slightly more 1st team starts as they are reaping the benefits and in some cases are really challenging some of my 1st team regulars for a start due to their recent form.

Edit:- Forgot to mention that a high % of their 1st team starts in the first 2 seasons were against weaker EPL opposition and in LC matches. :thup:

Archived