Why Do You Hate Huge-Database-dom ?

Yees, yes, that's a very steaming pile of interesting topic for you to see.

I have installed FM '09 after a fresh formatting of my system and updated to 9.0.3 via Steam. As the head of the Headhunter's Lair, Huge DB is a must for me to enjoy the game, regarding the mere fact that games are meant to enjoy one.

However I see that with 9.0.3, overwriting panels.fmf so as to get the huge db option visible while starting new game has been made impossible. They say it just messes your game if you do it.

Anyway, my question is:

Is there a "new" huge-db-enabling panels.fmf file that doesn't screw up the game ?

Please don't divert me to the way of "oooh use DDT generator". It's just unbearable ticking every other nation to get a ddt file. When game creates the database itself on pre-defined setting, it sets a balance of things whether it is huge or large. However I find it troublesome letting the user to select nations. After all, I want a database that encompasses whole world while refraining from making it an abomination of bloat.

'Cause I'll be finding and sharing "gems" here, and that is assured as long as there is a standard of database size. You can' just expect everyone to use a full DDT file. There's no meaning in praising a player that does not exist with 7 game®s out of 10.

Running a HugeDB is a standarded, reasonable and accessible way of playing FM '09 while using a DDT is absolutely NONE of these.

I would like to see Huge make a return, because as you say using DDTs just isn't practical for a gaming world. I want a well rounded bunch of players from all over, and not every player from a certain nationality or league. I understand there was some issues with Huge and that's why the codes been lying dormant for a few years now, but I would very much like to see this resolved so I can have a quicker game than selecting more active leagues.

• 2 months later...
...it retains most players in the world
...without making the game speed too slow.

Have a hard time understanding how both of these can be true. Most players in the world would be several hundred thousand players, right? Yet huge database, which has been reported to be roughly 30,000 players, is also reported to slow the game or make it unstable. Am I missing something?

Have a hard time understanding how both of these can be true. Most players in the world would be several hundred thousand players, right? Yet huge database, which has been reported to be roughly 30,000 players, is also reported to slow the game or make it unstable. Am I missing something?

I have the huge database option set up, and I can confirm that it does still work. It does contain approximately 30,000 players and I found the instructions to get it in the Editors' Hideaway. I can also report, however, that the file slows down the game significantly. Lots of free transfers in the game from weird and wonderful players from places like Madagascar and Reunion to sign, though.

The Gillsminnow DDT file retains players from the top leagues/major clubs from every nation, therefore you'll get every single international team without greys and regens from those nations. Because it's just the top leagues and major clubs, it cuts off a lot of the slowdown.

• 2 months later...

Hasn't it already been proved that huge database is actually totally pointless, bloating the game and producing thousands of useless players that aren't even worth having in the game? That's why the option was taken out of the game in the first place.

This year, there is an even better option in the game, in that it is going to be far easier to customise the database to your own requirements. So you'll be able to create your own totally bloated database, should you wish to do so. :D

Regards,

C.

Hasn't it already been proved that huge database is actually totally pointless, bloating the game and producing thousands of useless players that aren't even worth having in the game? That's why the option was taken out of the game in the first place.

This year, there is an even better option in the game, in that it is going to be far easier to customise the database to your own requirements. So you'll be able to create your own totally bloated database, should you wish to do so. :D

Regards,

C.

Well, that i indeed good news! :D

Regards,

C.

How?

From the blogs:

With Football Manager 2010 the database is much easier to customise. As you can see from the screenshot, you can, as well as setting the initial database size, easily add in players based in nations, of nationality, from top division clubs, from top clubs, players with continental reputation, with national reputation and current international players.

As part of the benchmarking, you are even told how many players are going to be loaded into the database based on the changes that you make, and see changes in the game speed expected on that computer based on these new settings.

Archived