suggestion: including football oddities in the game

what would you think of coding the more odd football happenings in the game such as players getting red cards on the bench for jelling at the refferee or referrees doing horrible mistakes like not sending off a player after his second yellow card, of course this must be coded to be extremely rare happenings, which of course would make them so much cooler when they eventually happen in your game.

I think the reason they don't have these in is because of legal issues. If, say, Paul Scholes attacked a ref in the game and got suspended, IRL, he could sue SI for defamation, claiming that he'd never do something like that. Same with referee's. They could claim they'll never make a mistake like that and the game is predjudiced against them.

It sounds mad, but I think this is why SI haven't put it in.

I think the reason they don't have these in is because of legal issues. If, say, Paul Scholes attacked a ref in the game and got suspended, IRL, he could sue SI for defamation, claiming that he'd never do something like that. Same with referee's. They could claim they'll never make a mistake like that and the game is predjudiced against them.

but it could be put in for regens...

Surely they would understand that it's just a game? I mean, a player wouldn't sue if they only scored 2 goals in a season in footy manager, whereas they scored ten in the real season.

Isn't that defamation as well really?

Surely they would understand that it's just a game? I mean, a player wouldn't sue if they only scored 2 goals in a season in footy manager, whereas they scored ten in the real season.

Isn't that defamation as well really?

Some people are precious about their self-image. Look at Oliver Khan.

Yeah but dude, if I play Fifa I can play as anyone I want and get as much red cards as I like, yet I've never heard about a footballer sueing EA. I really don't see your point Deisler.

Don't you think that if players found that defamation they would have sued EA by now?

On-topic: Yes I agree that there should be more odd things happening in FM, like managers getting send to the stands during the game, back passes (and therefore indirect free kicks inside the box), yellow cards for time wasting, players standing in front of the ball when the opposition are trying to take a free kick (Fabregas, anyone?), etcetera.

And I've never really seen in FM that a player gets fouled badly but the referee waves play on and gives the advantage, although that might be already in it, just saying I've never noticed it.

I would like to see these types of things but I think it's more a problem of increased workload=not worth it for rare additions.

Say you put in all the things mentioned in this thread, each one would have to be carefully tested over and over again to make sure they didn't occur too often. It would also have knock on effects if you started getting questions about stuff like this.

I don't think they would add all that more to the game because these things happen pretty rarely IRL.

Would like to see things like this as well! Such as liverpools last match when carragher kicked off due to arbeloa going too far foward etc. Legal issues are easy to solve with a discaimer, infact I'm sure fm already has one stating that the game does not represent the real life counterparts.

Would also be good to create much more atmosphere before cup finals, relegation d-days etc. The media and ex player comments just aren't enough

I would like to see these types of things but I think it's more a problem of increased workload=not worth it for rare additions.

Say you put in all the things mentioned in this thread, each one would have to be carefully tested over and over again to make sure they didn't occur too often. It would also have knock on effects if you started getting questions about stuff like this.

I don't think they would add all that more to the game because these things happen pretty rarely IRL.

I agree with you about how difficult testing would be, however there are very basic football rules such as indirect free kicks and neutral balls that never occur in FM.

The defamation point is valid - it's why only regens don't turn up for matches, or go to night clubs the day before a game. But it would be cool if they put in a few very very rare occurrences: team mates that don't like each other fighting on the pitch etc.

If it would require so much testing that it would hamper their getting on with the main features, though, it wouldn't really be worth it.

Plus, imagine the number of people who would start crying foul if it happened to them.

Although I do not know the first thing about rights and laws, but I did a little research on defamation last night and the defamation point seems, technically seen, valid indeed. To me anyway.

Usually the term defamation is only appliable when it's a communication of a statement (be it spoken or written) that is expressly presented as factual. Now you could easily say that FM is only a video game, and therefore defamation would not be relevant. However, SI themselves always present FM as the most realistic football management simulation game. Therefore I guess you could have a case if you claimed that e.g. player's mental attributes (such as aggression) are presented as factual in FM.

I would like to add that I really don't think football players would make such a big deal of it would they? I mean, if you could apply the term defamation to FM, don't you think that Michael Owen would have sued SI by now because of his injury proness in the game? I mean, he's always denying that he's injury prone. Arjen Robben idem dito. However, if you look at their injury proness in the editor, it doesn't look good.

My point is: Footballers have already had hundreds of chances to sue SI for defamation, however I have never heard of anything like that happening IRL and I really doubt that e.g. Rio Ferdinand would sue SI if he was playing FM and he would get this message in his inbox while playing as Man Utd:

Your assistant reports that Rio Ferdinand was spotted at a local bar last night.

What do you want to do?

a. Discipline him for unprofessional behavior.

b. Make him available for the reserve team for a week.

c. Nothing.

My guess is it would just put a smile on his face.

Although I do not know the first thing about rights and laws, but I did a little research on defamation last night and the defamation point seems, technically seen, valid indeed. To me anyway.

Usually the term defamation is only appliable when it's a communication of a statement (be it spoken or written) that is expressly presented as factual. Now you could easily say that FM is only a video game, and therefore defamation would not be relevant. However, SI themselves always present FM as the most realistic football management simulation game. Therefore I guess you could have a case if you claimed that e.g. player's mental attributes (such as aggression) are presented as factual in FM.

I would like to add that I really don't think football players would make such a big deal of it would they? I mean, if you could apply the term defamation to FM, don't you think that Michael Owen would have sued SI by now because of his injury proness in the game? I mean, he's always denying that he's injury prone. Arjen Robben idem dito. However, if you look at their injury proness in the editor, it doesn't look good.

My point is: Footballers have already had hundreds of chances to sue SI for defamation, however I have never heard of anything like that happening IRL and I really doubt that e.g. Rio Ferdinand would sue SI if he was playing FM and he would get this message in his inbox while playing as Man Utd:

My guess is it would just put a smile on his face.

If Michael Owen sued someone denying he was injury prone he'd lose - quite simply he's got such a long history of injuries he wouldn't have a chance.

If however, 'Michael Owen came in to training drunk from teh night before and started a fight with x' that's something you could get in trouble for. Hence only regens doing the drinking, etc.

I would like the idea (sort of) of random chance, but again, you'd have to make sure it could only happen with regen players/refs/etc.

So Michael Owen wouldn't have a case if he sued because he believes he is not injury prone, I can see that. But what if you'd get a report saying Joey Barton had a fight with a teammate? Surely his list of acts of aggression is as "impressive" as Owen's list of injuries?

Not trying to be anal here, I just think it could be an interesting discussion.

I hate the idea, I know its a completly different game but Fifa tryed this once and the amount of people who got p*ssed off was endless, assistants flagging for offside when he's not offside and crap decisions, I'd actually consider to stop playing FM if this was put in the game:(

And I've never really seen in FM that a player gets fouled badly but the referee waves play on and gives the advantage, although that might be already in it, just saying I've never noticed it.

It happens, but the referee doesn't wave.

The headbutting bug annoyed me. That was the closest anybody matched Zidane. That was a stupid addition.

I hate the idea, I know its a completly different game but Fifa tryed this once and the amount of people who got p*ssed off was endless, assistants flagging for offside when he's not offside and crap decisions, I'd actually consider to stop playing FM if this was put in the game:(

Uh, refs and assistants already make mistakes in FM. You'd better stop playing now.

Archived