Not saying anything at HT works

You say it best, when you say nothing at all - Ronan Keaton - wise man.

I quite often keep quiet at half time, especially when losing, let them realise how disapointing they are

Ronan Keating was the name :thup:

I generally dont say much to players at half time, leaving it on "none" i tend to think of it as keep it the same, any players that are deserving i give them individual team talks. For your scenario (3-1 down at half time) i would most likely have used angry tbh.

It's essential for post-match.

If you praise mediocre wins, your players get really cocky. I always used to ruin my teams' good runs of form by praising them into complacency.

I use it at HT occasionally, if I think my players will get nervous if I warn agaisnt complacency; at pre-match for when I expect to win, but am not an overwhelming favourite.

"It's often a good idea to give team-talks at half-time, but occasionally, leaving a team to stew over their performances is best."

Or something to that effect.

I think it's one of the tips.

ive found that if u dont say anything at half time the team perform well in the second half.

a few times id be 3-0 up then say pleased and id end up drawing or losing 4-3 because the players relax a bit if you say pleased or thrilled. Now i say nothing and they carry on where they left off or enjoy a nice comeback.

Say nothing at half time, it really does work

I take more of a Brian Clough approach. Let them know that they're all a disgrace and that usually works but I guess it all depends on the team.

If a Brian Clough side came in at HT 2-0 down, he'd often say "Fantastic. Keep going. More of the same lads." On other ocassions, they'd come in 3-0 up and they'd get a bollocking.

The genius of the man.

I was losing 3-1 to 3rd placed Napoli at half time & I didn't say anything to my players at we won 4-3.]

Team talks are a bit sensitive IMO, guarantee if you played the game again and were 3-1 down at H-T and said nothing again, you would probably get stuffed 3-1 again in the second half.

If you had of said something about their team before kick-off, well thats a whole new thread starter!

It's essential for post-match.

If you praise mediocre wins, your players get really cocky. I always used to ruin my teams' good runs of form by praising them into complacency.

I use it at HT occasionally, if I think my players will get nervous if I warn against complacency; at pre-match for when I expect to win, but am not an overwhelming favourite.

I find just saying "well done" does no harm to my players. Last time I said nothing for both half time and full time ended in complete disasters, but I may start using it if 3-0 or 2-0 up. I hate saying "pleased" to them at half time, the second half performance always deteriorates spectacularly when I do that :(

Archived