Silly Press Conference Reactions

I have a player thats considered a first team regular before I joined but has been riddled by injury, under performing and in his last 3 months of his contract. But a few players still think he's worth holding onto, I dont.

I have a young player, 17, that has made 14 apps out of a possible 20 in the league and 22(7) total with 10 goals, 3 assists & 2 MOTM's in his first season.

In a press conference, I stated that he'd replace the waster, the other option was without doubt best player at the club so he wasnt logical to state him

After the press conference, I'm ridiculed for touting the youngster, one of the brightest prospects at the club and one thats getting me crucial goals and the player doesnt feel worthy of my comments and his teammates are worried.

This shouldnt be the reaction to touting a bright prospect thats walking the walking.

Can anyone explain this illogical reaction?

I have a player thats considered a first team regular before I joined but has been riddled by injury, under performing and in his last 3 months of his contract. But a few players still think he's worth holding onto, I dont.

I have a young player, 17, that has made 14 apps out of a possible 20 in the league and 22(7) total with 10 goals, 3 assists & 2 MOTM's in his first season.

In a press conference, I stated that he'd replace the waster, the other option was without doubt best player at the club so he wasnt logical to state him

After the press conference, I'm ridiculed for touting the youngster, one of the brightest prospects at the club and one thats getting me crucial goals and the player doesnt feel worthy of my comments and his teammates are worried.

This shouldnt be the reaction to touting a bright prospect thats walking the walking.

Can anyone explain this illogical reaction?

I'm sure that the youngster first of all doesn't want to be thrown about the media tbh, at that age it isn't needed and it will just add unnecessary pressure.

I'm sure that the youngster first of all doesn't want to be thrown about the media tbh, at that age it isn't needed and it will just add unnecessary pressure.

He's played most of the season though and played well, it shouldnt be a comment that gets me "ridiculed" though.

Fair enough if the player is feeling the pressure because of it but other players shouldnt be thinking that I dont know what I'm doing especially when he's won my team plenty of matches

There seem to be a number of places where the responses, if taken literally, seem to be sub-optimal. I wouldn't take the ridicule comment personally though. Why not look on it as useful feedback. As mentioned above, the 17 year old may not want/be able to handle the pressure just yet. Also, it as you mentioned, other players in your squad don't share your (low) opinion of the other player. There's two useful pieces of information on areas for you to work on over the next 3 months as you plan the release/replacement of the previous "first-teamer".

There seem to be a number of places where the responses, if taken literally, seem to be sub-optimal. I wouldn't take the ridicule comment personally though. Why not look on it as useful feedback. As mentioned above, the 17 year old may not want/be able to handle the pressure just yet. Also, it as you mentioned, other players in your squad don't share your (low) opinion of the other player. There's two useful pieces of information on areas for you to work on over the next 3 months as you plan the release/replacement of the previous "first-teamer".

Fair enough but I think players and media should be taking into account both player's form and contract situations.

I was trying to boost the lads self belief

EDIT

He's just scored in a cup match against Celtic, NICE!

Perhaps you're hit a possbile answer: current form/contract may not be taken into account at the moment. What it does seem to be telling you though is that, whatever variables are included, the team are yet convinced of this change. As he seems to be the real-deal, you're job is to get the team thinking the same way. Perhaps, you've taken the first step with the press conference.

I'm interested to hear how it all pans out: do you get the team on board with your decision, or is the ridicule you received the start of loss in faith in you as a manager? Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome.

The answer is that there is no correct answer because the press conference function is flawed and needs work. You are almost always best to say nothing because it would appear that the game is coded to misinterpret/misunderstand what a correct answer actually means.

I'm not sure I'd agree with that, FrazT.

I've had decent success with the Press Conferences; I've found some approaches that work very well for my team, so every couple of matches I can count on a slight morale boost for one or two players from a good press conference. I rarely feel like I'm utterly misinterpreted.

However, I do agree with the O.P., that there are some situations in which the response doesn't seem fitting. For example, picking my own team (pre-season prediction: 3rd, last season: 4th) to win the BSP could have been interpreted as

- cheeky, overconfident

- challenging my players

- putting pressure on my players

- expressing faith in my players

I'd have been happy with any of those responses - and especially happy if a follow-up question had come to help me distinguish between the four.

Instead, it seemed to be taken as "Out of touch with the game", as though I'd picked Hull City for the E.P.L. this season.

That doesn't feel like "misinterpreted", that feels like .. well .. an "illogical reaction" as the O.P. put it.

My response was based on:

Several players losing morale over my choice of World Player of the year ( none of my players were candidates)- Why were my players concerned about my choice?

When asked if I was going to give a player a chance in the first team and I said it was possible, the report stated that I had guaranteed the player first team football and several players were upset at my guarantee!- what guarantee?

Players getting upset if I comment that I get on OK with an ex player who was with me for 6 seasons- why do they care?

The press telling me that a player is unhappy for some reason, that my Asst or the squad screen hasnt acknowledged.

The repeat question about my being indecisive when I have refused to comment- that is not being indecisive it is not commenting!

IMO the function is a good idea but the mechanics are flawed and need work- also the apparent effect of the press conference on the players and their morale is much overstared. I suggest that not many players give 2 hoots about what their manager says to the press, even if they were aware of the contents. What the manager says before the match to them directly is considerably more important

I suggest that not many players give 2 hoots about what their manager says to the press, even if they were aware of the contents. What the manager says before the match to them directly is considerably more important

Charles 'Insomnia' seemed pretty bothered about his managers comments to the media.;)

I suggest that not many players give 2 hoots about what their manager says to the press, even if they were aware of the contents. What the manager says before the match to them directly is considerably more important

Aye, that should be the rule of thumb unless you are clearly disrespecting one of your own players like Charles Insomnia was :D

I understand that the press will take comments out of context for their articles but I do feel that some questions are very poorly asked and the set of responses dont sum up what you would like to say.

this module of the game does need some work,

Do you think that the ManU squad get upset when SAF tells the media that he thinks Liverpool / Chelsea / Arsenal have a squad or that it is going to be a difficult match against Barca.?

No they probably think yeah Barca have a good team but so are we, i see the manager is trying to put pressure on them (Barca) before the match.

I'm interested to hear how it all pans out: do you get the team on board with your decision, or is the ridicule you received the start of loss in faith in you as a manager? Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome.

A few players now think the young lad is a good player including the one guy I check and was worried about my comments. So has the press conference elevated my players thinking.

Also, it must be noted that my star player (and by a good distance) has been out injured for a few weeks so the spotlight is on other players to get results

That player is also having problems motivating himself for me since I tried to sell him in january (but is enjoying playing for the club)

One bizarre reaction I got from my squad was when I was asked who I thought would win the league. I selected one of the best teams who I had been impressed by when I faced them, and my squad was unhappy with me for it.

The team I chose wasn't a rival, and my team had no chance of winning the league because of our semi-pro status in a league full of pro teams, and the fact we were way off the pace anyway.

That answer should not have gained that reaction from the squad.

Several players losing morale over my choice of World Player of the year ( none of my players were candidates)- Why were my players concerned about my choice?

Yeah, hate that - that question needs to be removed entirely. I mean, I'm in the BSP. Why should anybody, let alone my players, care whom I think is going to be World Player of the Year?

When asked if I was going to give a player a chance in the first team and I said it was possible, the report stated that I had guaranteed the player first team football and several players were upset at my guarantee!- what guarantee?

Quite with you here. I'm willing to stipulate, "Yeah, a reporter may have twisted my words," but even so:

a.) that's not a twist, that's a complete miss

b.) there isn't any mechanism for correcting the misinterpretation

c.) there were other journalists at the press conference friendly to me, who would have called out the other guy for taking liberties with the facts.

Players getting upset if I comment that I get on OK with an ex player who was with me for 6 seasons- why do they care?

Agreed. My ex-player and I get on. So?

The press telling me that a player is unhappy for some reason, that my Asst or the squad screen hasnt acknowledged.

Hmm - I'm not experiencing that, but .. I've edited my "squad selection" view to show me more than one Status indicator, so I'm more likely to notice an "Slt" complaint, which is what those usually are.

Also, when the press asks the question, the player's name is a link; you can click on it, go to their Personal screen, and get better indication of their complaint before answering the question.

Regardless, you could imagine this to be something like, "I just interviewed Sam Snead, and he complained that XYZ .. Do you care to comment on that?"

The repeat question about my being indecisive when I have refused to comment- that is not being indecisive it is not commenting!

That's just bad text.

One bizarre reaction I got from my squad was when I was asked who I thought would win the league. I selected one of the best teams who I had been impressed by when I faced them, and my squad was unhappy with me for it.

The team I chose wasn't a rival, and my team had no chance of winning the league because of our semi-pro status in a league full of pro teams, and the fact we were way off the pace anyway.

That answer should not have gained that reaction from the squad.

Yeah, I agree with that one.

They really need the pressconferences to differ depending on what league you're in. No one, least of all his squad, cares who the coventry manager thinks will be world player of the year. Unless you're one of the top teams in the world, no one's going to want your opinion there.

But, once you've done a few, it's relatively easy to know how they work. Although, I always build a squad of professionals, so I might be at a loss with a different squad personality: one of my promising regens has a crap personality and it's a bloody struggle to keep him on-side.

Amaroq- you said:

"Hmm - I'm not experiencing that, but .. I've edited my "squad selection" view to show me more than one Status indicator, so I'm more likely to notice an "Slt" complaint, which is what those usually are.

Also, when the press asks the question, the player's name is a link; you can click on it, go to their Personal screen, and get better indication of their complaint before answering the question."

Didnt know about the second option so thanks for that

Great idea on the first option- how is that done? Thanks

Guys, Press Conference is a feature reflecting the real world media! The misintrepertation in game is on purpose (Although they are limited). Comments made by managers are "twisted" all the time by the journalist. Some can be to your advantage, but most of the time media are out there to get the managers.

On the in game hints and tips, there is one which says that if you downplay your team chance of winning when they are clear favourite, depending on the team personality they might be more determined to prove you wrong. So in a press confrence, you can be cheeky and some some stuff to make that happen. Of course, there will be a comment that says Team X might not react well. Would you react well if your manager says your team will lose to some low rep team? i dont think so. Would you be likely to be determined to prove your manager wrong? Yeah. Would you be more complacent if your manager says that you will win big in a blink of an eye?

Are hyping things up using the media required all the time? No they are not, most managers in real life will give a no comment, or some neutral answers that dont get you here or there.

Archived