Keep or sell?

I have this 18 y/o striker who is coming through the ranks. He is lighting up the scoreboard at the youth level and the Reserve team. This guy is a performance machine who seemingly on a weekly basis gets mentioned by my Youth Team Coach for the U19 games & by my Ass man for the Reserve Games.

The thing is, I have 2 other strikers who are rated higher (2 stars vs his 1) and my two other youth strikers potential are 4 & 5 stars respectively vs this guys 3 star potential. However, he ALWAYS outperforms them. Scoring multiple goals in a game is not uncommon for this guy.

From a performance stand point, this player is a beast, but from his stat profile , he doesn't seem to rate well when compared to the others. Has anyone taken a chance on this type of player and have them to continue their performance at the first team level?

I usually keep them, or loan them and see what they make of it.

I usually find that the consistent youngsters are better than the good youngsters in the youth team, but in the big leagues their talent gets shown up a bit.

Besides, he make just have good movement and his team mates are good at picking him out. Depends what kind of goals he scores.

Best bet, have him as a sub, see how he does. As BM says, whats the worst that can happen?

try him for a few games whats the worst that can happen?

Sound advice to be sure. I guess I am just not understanding what I am seeing. I have made it a point to put my two 'up & coming star strikers' in the starting line-up because:

A) Their stats really are that good.

and

B) I want them to get the development time.

What usually happens is they may get a goal or create one, but this 1/3 star overachiever comes off the bench and puts one or two in with 34 minutes of playing time. I know there is a 'consistency' rating, but if his stats aren't that great to begin with, shouldn't he be 'consistently mediocre' and not the walking hilite real?

Besides, he make just have good movement and his team mates are good at picking him out. Depends what kind of goals he scores.

Hmm... good suggestion. I'll watch the hilites of the games he performs well in and see what comes of it - and of course, give him some First team pitch time during the softer parts of my schedule.

Who cares about stats and stars? Did Alex Ferguson think, 'I'm not going to play Darren Fletcher for the last match of the season, he only has 3/7 stars'? No, because he has been playing well and better than other candidates for the role. No, he may not have the same natural ability as other players. But, as long as his performances are better than others, does that really matter?

From where I'm sitting, the answer is no.

Reminds me of Eddie Johnson on FM 07

Johnson was actually a beast though (look at those physical attributes...)

I find that reserve team performances mean little. Having said that, my best youngsters all "performed" at reserve level.

I'd say keep him and try him in a couple of first team games to see how he gets on. Since he's come through the ranks having him will also help with the 'home grown' european rule.

WHy not post a shot for us to take a look at him by the way? If you can.

May help? He isn't real so it wouldnt really be against any forum rules.

When I get home (in about 6 hours) I'll post up a shot of his Profile & stats. I look forward to the feedback and appreciate the comments already suggested. :thup:

Day ran a little longer than expected, but here is his profile:

profilex.jpg

Along with his Overall Form (all Non-Competitive so far):

formx.jpg

His Coach Report as given by 'Dios' and his 19/20 CA/PA judging skills. Apologies for the sloppy name masking:

coachreporti.jpg

And finally his 'career' stats:

statsxxo.jpg

Pretty 'weak' looking IMHO. For comparison purposes, this is what a 28 y/0 4 star striker looks like on my team:

4starplayer.jpg

And one of my 22 y/o 3-Star strikers:

3starplayer.jpg

Neither of these guys is my best striker (mentioned in the Coach Report) but are just representative of similar skill levels that I was hoping this youth would be able to attain.

Archived