Idea for FM 2010

Can the game implement the Job Role of Reserve Team Manager, and when you start unemployed you will be offered these jobs, and should the first team coach leave you will be offered the job as caretaker for 6 games when a decision would be made on your future.

So after 6 games you;

A) Get the job on permanent basis

B) Return to your role as Reserve Team Manager

It's probadbly been suggested before, but this would certainly give the game a new direction and a new feature.

Yes, this has been suggested many times before with many different varients.

It always gets a mixed reaction with some people stating, its called 'Football Manager' not 'Reserve Team Manager' or something like that.

I think that the caretaken manager thing could be very interesting, and could potentially be a good idea.

Not sure about the reserve team manager thing though, I am not sure that I would like that very much.

It always gets a mixed reaction with some people stating, its called 'Football Manager' not 'Reserve Team Manager' or something like that.

To be fair, that is normally for FM Chairman or similar to that - even FM Assistant Manager. This is different to them, reserve team manager is a seperate role and has little to do with the first team except the players in the squad. Suggestions for extra manager options are rarely disregarded like that :thup:

It would add more realism in a sense, but then again why manage a reserve team when you could start in Non-League.

Firstly, some people may not enjoy playing in leagues that they don't recognise any players. I mean, how many people have heard of Mark Albrighton? He plays in the BSP, for Stevenage. Then there are players like Alex Song. He is in Arsenal's reserves, but is well known. Vito Mannone, Nacer Barazite and many other well known players play for reserve teams.

Also, it is actually quite realistic that a manager is given a lower role at a club or country first. Lets take Queiroz as a (admittedly not very good) example. His career started as a youth coach for Portugal, and he worked his way up from lower staff roles to become a recognised manager. I'm not saying that being able to be a youth coach, gk coach is a good idea, I don't think it would be, but I think it would be excellent to have an extra stage for the human manager to take.

Personally I would love this, and would probably use it in most of my saves.

I was reading a news article the other day on managers in England and mainland Europe. They said that in England, the messiah role can be thrust to any young manager in hope of glory, but in the continent you often have to earn your stripes first. Quieroz an example cited, de Boer and Bergkamp are both coaching, in fact, most Europe managers I think it mentioned were assistant managers first.

But remember, this is a game. However, I think, as much as I actually scoffed the idea at first (as will many of you) that there is substance to this idea.

Not in the way you think, ie Reserve Team Manager 2010, but in the way that it could be an exciting mode of play for many of us who really do like to begin from rock bottom.

Many things stick out.

Examples include getting to manage the reserves, meaning you could have different first teamers week in week out, you just have to get on with it, but you may wish to recommend the manager gives you certain players, or signs re-inforcements either specifically, or just suggesting particular positions.

You then get the bonus of seeing players performing for you playing for the first team and doing well (in the same vein of happiness that seeing our players play internationally gives us)

So as much as I can heap scorn on this idea, I can also praise it. I think to start as a BSS reserve manager, (maybe stepping into the manager role) is actually quite an interesting one. I am not going to argue into how it may happen, or whether it will, but I personally would quite like the challenge.

Just a thought...

Archived