[IDEA] For FM10/11 - Youth & Playing Position

Maybe a non-starter but I'll see what people think.

Following on from one of the other threads where people were pointing out players who played in different positions as a youth player how about if promoted youth players weren't given positions immediately.

So when youth players are promoted they are either GK or outfield and then part of their initial training is positional.

This would negate the newgens that come through with good stats but not for their position and help lower league sides that are short of players in specific positions.

Interesting idea.

Is that what would really happen though? I would think a player would be brought into the youth setup with a position already decided. Coaches have then analysed there abilities and retrained them into a different position that they feel is more appropriate. In FM terms we (the players) can do this.

I have seen clubs sign a centre back and then have them play in midfield in the youth and reserves.

i think its a very good idea and would allow you to mould players easier, maybe if when they joined your squad that had a prefered positions and coaches reccomended positions. another idea would be to have and new feature on coach reports

coach X believes that player Y would be more effective as a.....

I think that the current system is flexible enough to do what is required. Clearly players entering your club (i.e. being promoted to the U17s) will have a preferred position. I would imagine, with training and playing youth/reserve games, they could pick up a new position in plenty of time to be accomplished or above by the time they reach the first team. Perhaps what could be added is the ability to tell your U17 or reserve team manager what position you want a certain player to play (as I'd imagine at the moment you won't get a player who is a natural CB playing CM without micro-managing the U17s/reservces).

Haha got my idea huh ;-)

I think players should come through with characteristics rather than positions.

Ie Rio Ferdinand is tall, good on the ball, composed, quick...he has the ability to be a midfielder. But it was chosen for him to be a centre back, and there he is.

But his position is defined by his characteristics, not vice versa, this is the key. I think currently players are far too one dimensional. A good defender tends to be able to defend, and thats it. But, some defenders should come through with other characteristics, like finishing. Ie Daniel Agger, amazing long shooter.

Hmm, reading back I am not explaining this perfectly...But I think the key is that a players characteristics are just when they are younger and they are put in a role...but they may still exhibit characteristics of other positions.

However in FM it seems that a player is made to fit the position.

Archived