Will Chris Samba have the position striker as accomplished on FM10?

He played their as a youngster so I really think he should be competent at least.

Then again...Glen Johnson was a youth striker, I don't think he is a striker with any conviction on FM?

But yeah, he has played upfront this year, an FM give the player the place they play in their club sides normally, so its more than likely. Gary Doherty is still a CB/FC right?

I dont believe it is.

I kind of wonder why, but then again, imagine the nightmare of tracing back through to see where every player played at youth level! Rio's handy finishing should be enough to see him through.

Is Rooney still partly classed as a keeper?

The perfect example of this is Jamie Carragher. He was the top scoring striker in his younger days and now he couldnt hit a barn door with a banjo. Samba should be able to play there in emergencies but like someone pointed out, he hasnt been that good whilst playing up front. If he had banged in 10 goals then i would expect him to have that position as accomplished.

Okay thanks guys. IIRC, Rio Ferdinand was a striker at youth level but I don't think this is shown on FM09 is it?

Just to be pedantic, but I thought he was a midfielder. Seem to remember Harry Rednapp saying in an interview he was told by his youth coach at West Ham that he "had to come watch the best midfielder to come through the academy".

Wasn't Joe Cole a striker, tipped as "the new Michael Owen"?

Stevie G was a DMC originally, and although he can still technically play that position, he's more of an AMC now.

And I seem to recall Roy Keane was a DC at Forest.

Interesting - how many players swap positions and make them their own?

Most top class centre backs played as centre forwards in the youth set ups of their respective clubs, because they were massive and all the 16 year old defenders couldn't touch them. They should all be competent at playing a very simplistic type of forward.

Earmack is correct. Sol Campbell was actually a striker for the entirity of his youth, before reverting to centre-half. And it was simply because he was bloody huge.

Samba and any centre-half in that ilk that is used in that role for any reason should have the ability "Ineffectual" because they generally are.

Yeah I can imagine he'd like handling balls to be honest... ^^

Fantastic :D

Quite a few players change positions, Samba isn't one of them. He is filling in a gap that no one else can fill, and not doing a great job imo. Like said before, ineffectual would be best for him. Certainly not accomplished, as this suggests he is almost natural there. Which he, quite clearly, isn't.

I didn't know that. I knew he played centre back for the West Ham youth team, was it before that?

Aye, I believe so. I either read it in a back issue of FourFourTwo or saw it just prior to the Liverpool West Ham game on Setanta recently. Either way, I can just about confirm that as fact. (I think its been mentioned above that Tony Carr, (if he is the West Ham academy fella) was the man who switched him to the defensive role.)

I think this is an argument for players that come to your Under 19's having no true natural position, but you have to assign them one when they first come through to your squad.

I hate that in long term games, every defender in the lower English leagues has:

13 tackling

13 marking

13 heading

Or there abouts. Surely there would be the occasional one that can really finish too, I mean, they weren't all born as complete defenders only, surely?

I could make a big argument for this, but, I think the member Dave C did a fair while ago (haven't seen him recently, is there a name change or what have I missed?) and plus I really should be revising...

I did an addictive behaviour exam a few weeks ago and cited that FM is my personal addiction satisfying many of the clinical research criteria.

Damn you...

just because samba gets chucked up front due to his physical ability and size it doesn't mean hes any good as a striker. so i dont believe he should have any rating for a striker

Maybe ineffectual would be more appropriate? Seeing as he has spent some time playing there but has overall been 'ineffectual' in a strikers duties - scoring goals!

Archived