Qualification for the Europa League!? HELP

In Spain, Bilbao have qualified for the Europa League even though they lost to Barcelona. However, I think the FA changed the rules so that you had to win the FA Cup? But, I'm wondered if Footy Manager picked this up or can I still get through via the backdoor?

From experience, NO you shouldn't have to win, because the FA Cup winners spot will be awarded to 7th place if Man Utd win anyway.

This is only if the places England are allocated is still high. 4 CL & 3 EL?

But then I suppose it couldn't depend on who won the League Cup actually?

whitey, you won't have to win to qualify. The FA rules, as far as I'm aware, state that the winner of the FA cup enter the Europa League. If they already qualify for either the Champions League or the Europa League through their domestic league position, then the beaten finalists get a spot in the Europa League (assuming that they don't qualify through league position). If both have already qualified by virtue of league position, then an extra spot is allocated to the league, so the team finishing in 7th would gain entry to the Europa League.

I'm surprised no-one has been in this position before on the game. I've been searching the forums but haven't found a definitive answer. Every season before this one, the runner up would qualify for the Uefa Cup but I heard this season is different?

I'll let you know when I find out tonight!

Millwall Qualified by losing to Man Utd a few years back.

The reason this season's Europa Spots are for 5th, 6th and 7th place, is because Man Utd won the League cup thus 6th became a Europa Spot and now that sixth place Everton and third place Chelsea are in the FA Cup final. 7th becomes a Europa spot.

Archived