Attribute value only a "1"

When a young player (age 15-17) has a value of only 1 on a vital attribute such as strength (or jumping, or marking for that matter), is there still hope for this youngster? Or can I write him off completely?

I'm asking because other attributes are pretty promising, and he's rated as my best youngster by my coaches. If he was poor overall I wouldn't have bothered. How high could his 1 for strength improve theoretically?

When a young player (age 15-17) has a value of only 1 on a vital attribute such as strength (or jumping, or marking for that matter), is there still hope for this youngster? Or can I write him off completely?

I'm asking because other attributes are pretty promising, and he's rated as my best youngster by my coaches. If he was poor overall I wouldn't have bothered. How high could his 1 for strength improve theoretically?

You'll have to intensely train him in strength to make his strength stat rise but still it will never be brilliant :(

You'll have to intensely train him in strength to make his strength stat rise but still it will never be brilliant :(

Yeah I'm just hoping to get it around 10 at the least. I just created a schedule for him, and we'll see. It's worth a shot.

You can be fantastic in any role, even centre back, even without much strength.

yeah just think of all the great centre backs in recent years, vidic, terry, puyol, pretty flimsy bunch lol :p

seriously though i get your point but it certainly is a disadvantage not having good strength

I'd think he was a write off, usually when a player has a 1 at something it is something he as a player will never be good at, or in this case isn't physically capable of getting much better...it may get a little better but nothing that will make a huge difference.

Usually it means he's rubbish. But if he's a central midfielder, you may be able to retrain him as an attacking midfielder where strength is slightly less of an issue (although it means any defensive midfielder will eat him up - unless he can find space). However, attributes, especially physical ones, will really not see a huge change. 3-4 to 10 as said above sounds about right with very intensive training.

It depends on how good his other stats in key areas are as to whether he will be useful for you in the CM position.

As SCIAG said, a player that is really strong in other areas can compensate for one or two areas of weakness.

But some intensive strength training wouldn't go amiss either.

I have designed intensive courses for technical attributes, never for physical, but i assume they work the same way.

I managed to get a striker-to-be (originally winger) from 8 finishing to 15 in 3 years...however i would only do this if his other attributes are at least decent, as very little else will improve in that time

I have designed intensive courses for technical attributes, never for physical, but i assume they work the same way.

Well physical regimes take up a lot more of your training 'points', and they can result in injuries that cause long-term damage, so you do have to be careful.

A 1 for 'throw-ins', for instance, is of no consequence, but some are more important. I would never touch a player with 1 for DET, but I wouldn't worry about a striker with 1 for tackling. I have Bounanotte with only 4 STR - he does get brushed off the ball easily, but I've decided that his vision and overall skills are worth that one handicap.

So there are few hard-and-fast rules; don't dismiss 1 atts too quickly - try to assess the situation in the context of how important that att is for that player, the effect on the team and how far it can be improved.

Archived