Would this friendly happen in real life?

I was just looking at Spain's fixtures a week before the 2026 England World Cup starts and then I saw this:

Friendly.jpg

Six days before they play Turkey in the World Cup they are playing them in a friendly. Has that ever happened in real life? Surely it would be a bad idea to reveal your tactics a week before you play them in a crucial match?

It wouldn't happen in real life indeed. I can remember in preparation of EURO 2004 Holland was to play a friendly against the Czech Republic, but once they were drawn in the same group they cancelled this match.

To be honest I don't think that tactics are worth hiding. It's obvious that before WC all your friendlies are scouted by your opponents in WC group, so they know your tactics whether you play against them or anybody else.

However this kind of "practice game" gives you information about matchups in game. Whether your wingbacks are able to stop their wingers. Who is dominant with headers etc.

It's not so much about tactical plan but just how two specific teams play against each other, how they're able to exploit opponents weaknesses and win the match.

If a friendly between two teams was played and they were due to be playing days/weeks later in a tournament, it sn't going to be a friendly match! Big challenges are going to be put in to try and injure the star players of the opponents. I know this sounds a bit harsh but it would probably be true!

Archived