Why can't I tutor players?

At players i'm talking about are the ones uner the age of 24, like 20 years old, when I go to 'player interaction' there is no option to tutor that player?...why? I have older players that play in the same position so whats the problem. I'm Man Utd btw...so I should be able to.

The game does make some very wierd choices of tutor though- why not leave it to the manager? I had a 19 year old reserve striker and the game wanted my 20 year old first team striker to tutor him. Tried it, the personalities clashed and both the players lost morale because of it??

It is up to the manager - "Linked Player" is a drop-down, you can pick and choose who to link him with. The only restriction is, the veterans don't show in the drop-down if they're already working with somebody else, or don't have one Natural Position in common.

Note that you can now train a position up from Accomplished to Natural, which lets you initiate a tutoring link, even if you then cease training it and the position slips back to Accomplished.

This may sound very very very silly but by tutoring someone what are the benefits.

If you take a look at something called geniescout it will show you players current ability ( by a number between 0 - 200 ) and their potential ability ( 0 - 200 ) through time by doing normal training I think players meet their potential ability.

I may be wrong.

Any help

Allan

This may sound very very very silly but by tutoring someone what are the benefits.

If you take a look at something called geniescout it will show you players current ability ( by a number between 0 - 200 ) and their potential ability ( 0 - 200 ) through time by doing normal training I think players meet their potential ability.

I may be wrong.

Any help

Allan

Good question and I don't know the answer, but my best guess would be that it speedens everything up a bit?

I may be wrong.

Any help

Allan

What Schotsmannetje said.

Never tested/tracked it myself but those who have say a successful tutoring experience can (alongside playing time, morale etc.) enhance CA gains beyond 'natural progression' so players reach their PA quicker.

Incidentally on FM 08 (tweaks to the system may have changed this) all players did not reach their PA. Potential for gains decreases with age so any thing that helps maximise it in the developmental years will make reaching their PA more likely.

Just to add that on FM 08 it wasn't the youngster's squad status as per his contract that mattered but his perceived squad status. This is essentially where he sees himself and is revealed by his contract demands at any given moment.

Also note this is a malleable concept. For example a backup player who gets a long run in the first team due to injuries to a starter might start to see himself as a starter. So if you try to offer him a new contract he'll look for first team and above. But if your first choice returns thus relegating the backup to the bench again, his perceived squad status can drop back down a level. This I tested on 08 and my experience on 09 suggests it still holds true.

I would assume that player personalities play a role in how their perceived squad status changes, but I can't say definitively.

Tutoring boosts some of their hidden stats, and also determination. This doesn't directly affect CA gain, but if it means the youngster has their ambition and a few other stats raised, then they'll probably progress a bit quicker. The real question with tutoring is trying to work out who to have tutor whom. No one seems to know, unfortunately.

You should check the personalities of all senior players and choose the one with the closest personality to that of the young player and mental stats to tutor the youngster, those are the only 2 ways of deciding who to choose from IIRC :)

Archived