Make FM run quicker

HI I have FM 09 i was just wondering is it possible to make it run quicker because it takes abot 4 hours just to do 1 month in the game i have seen people do that in season

Have done the following

Defraged the hard drive Also made the virtual memory higher on the computer but i know my computer is rubbish though all i want is it to run quicker!!

Here's a couple other ideas:

In your current game, use "Options | Detail Level". Select every competition your team is not involved in, and set it to "None". You don't actually need most matches simulated in Full Detail.

Under "Preferences | Game Settings", set

- Processing Fixtures: Fastest (Can't Interrupt)

- Compress Save Games: Off

- Move Matches For TV: Off

Find your Anti-Virus software. If you can find such an option, make FM.EXE a "Trusted Program", so that your Anti-Virus doesn't try to scan all of the memory FM uses while it runs. If you can't find that, you might disable "Active Memory Scan" or the like while FM is running; if you're excellent about your security this process would look like: disable network, disable "Active Memory Scan", play FM, enable "Active Memory Scan", enable network.

If all else fails, there's the old stand-by: When you first create a game, select fewer leagues as "Playable". ;)

Certainly not doubting you, but out of curiousity, how does turning the 'move matches for tv' option off help??

Because instead of the game having to process CL fixtures (for example) on a Tuesday and a Wednesday, it will do them all on the same day meaning that one day will go by with less processing. At least I think that's how it works.

Because instead of the game having to process CL fixtures (for example) on a Tuesday and a Wednesday, it will do them all on the same day meaning that one day will go by with less processing. At least I think that's how it works.

I don't think so. CL is always played on tuesday and wednesday. I can't imagine it has anything to do with this option. They aren't "moved" or such a thing.

Certainly not doubting you, but out of curiousity, how does turning the 'move matches for tv' option off help??

The game pauses to show you the matchday schedule for a day. You have to hit "Continue". Then it shows you the results. You hit "Continue" again. There's time lost there. ;)

You're marginally better off having all the matches played concurrently even if you sit and watch FM intently .. but with a slow comp, you really want to be able to hit "Continue", step away from the keybord, and have the game sim until the next date where your input is required (match, injury, transfer bid, interview, etc). "Move Matches for TV: off" takes it a half-step closer to that style.

Granted, it feels much more "game-ey" and less realistic, so I'm not endorsing it unless you really are intent on trimming every possible ounce of deadweight.

5) Tick Run this programme in compatibility mode for and make sure Windows XP SP2 is selected.

Does that actually work when on Vista?

Yes it does.

What does turning the compress save game option do? Just wondering whether I should change it.

Basically it "squashes down" your save file and makes it smaller.

So isnt it better to have a smaller, more compressed save game? In the advice above it says to untick this option. I think. Is that right?

No, it's better to have the save file at its normal size. It's also less likely to get corrupted this way.

Compressing and uncompressing a file take time, so with a compressed save-file, your save and load times will be longer. Also, as ahmufcwafc - (Aside: I can't even spell that correctly, I have to cut-and-paste it every time!) - notes, its more likely to get corrupted.

That's an option you only want to use if you are running low on hard drive space ...

... or possibly if you are planning to go idle on a save-game, but might want to pick it up someday. (Save it compressed, the last time, so it takes up less space; once you open it back up, stop saving it compressed.)

Nah, the problem is my eye spots the "FC"s in the name, and tries to make it into initials for a football club, so it blows up from one gibberish name to many. :D

It does stand for the initials of two football clubs for what it's worth.

man utd - wigan athletic??

i've been playing my game for 48 days i think the save says - but i've only done six seasons not sure whether the laptop is slow or i am!!

so taking into account all the info above - can you still do a quick season and still watch the matches 3d??

I don't think so. CL is always played on tuesday and wednesday. I can't imagine it has anything to do with this option. They aren't "moved" or such a thing.

Trust me, all the Champions League games are played on the same day when you use this option (and the Tuesday/Wednesday split CL fixtures was originally created for TV purposes). Likewise all televised matches are played on the same day as the other fixtures (ie no Monday night games in the EPL).

Proof? See below.

fmudzc.jpg

Archived