Value...Is it needed?

Hello,

I was thinking would the game be improved if you could not see a players value...It would mean more need for good scouts and would make finding good quality young players, as at the moment normally if a young player has a high value he will be a good player, also media could speculate values like they do at the moment but how realistic it would be could relate to how reliabe the media source is...

It was just a thought, or at least it could be a tick option at the start of the game.

Value is a help to many players of management sims.

It would be a challenge to evaluate a player's worth if no value was given and of course there is no such thing in real life, so it's all about many factors which in the end determine the market price in a certain situation and context.

Yet, even irl a market value can well be estimated - and the value given in FM isn't any different. Club may ask for way more or demand less, depending on their own valuation of the player.

I'm sure many people would enjoy the challenge, but as it sort of exists irl and as this is of enormous help to many and as all football management games in history have so far centered around this, I would not want it to go.

But maybe it would be a good idea to have another tick-box 'Show player values' which gives us the choice. :):thup:

I like the idea :) I don't really pay attention to values anyway as they're not really telling me anything. A player in the Premier League can be valued at 10 million and be worse than a player in the Norwegian Premier Division valued at 2.5 million....

I never look at the value of players to see what they are really worth, because it varies so much for competitions.

I always look at the amount of stars they get from my scouts or from my ass man if its my own players.

On the other hand, his value is many times a good indication, so I would also be disappointed if it would entirely go away.

I agree, an option should be available to hide them as I never use them anyway. A player worth £7m and is decent, will set you back £20m anyway. I never agree with my player values and generally they're useless.

I would much rather see a team's asking price than the current "value" setting, I think it would be much more useful.

What if we kept it listed as "value", but what you got to see in that was, in order:

- asking price, if set

- scout's estimated bid required, if you've scouted the player since his last transfer

- media speculation re: value, if there has been transfer speculation about the player since his last transfer

- last transfer fee paid for player, if any

- blank (a la Fog of War)

For your own players, we'd add estimated sale value to the Coach Report, maybe the coach would give you "Thinks the player is worth X, but it would take offering him for Y to move him quickly" where Y < X.

Then, for your players, you'd see:

- asking price, if set

- A.M.'s estimate of X, if A.M. present

- Coach's estimate of X, if A.M. present

- Chairman's estimate of X.

Still a "value" field, just different behavior that might more closely match what we'd "expect" it to be naturally?

I agree with Amaroq, I don't think it should be taken out of the game but it should be changed. I would like to see the value that the selling club would possibly accept as a transfer rather than the current value which is shown. I for one am fed up of looking at a players value, then having to pay at least twice that value in order to be able to sign the player I want as this is not the true value that I am paying for that player.

Take Liverpool and Gareth Barry for example, they set an asking price of £18m for Liverpool to be able to sign him, they didn't make an offer that was suitable to what Aston Villa felt was acceptable so they weren't able to sign him.

Aston Villa didn't say "his value is £18m but we want at least £36m for him."

Don't forget every player has a price that he would be sold for regardless of what managers, chairmen etc. tell us.

I would actually like the option of removing values. Would make the game more realistic as a manager can judge how much a player is worth, based on stats and form.

Media could also 'rave' about a certain player meaning the price for him may be inflated etc.

It would have to be an option on load up IMO.

I use the player values, when selling and buying players as I find it useful to price a player at. But I can see why some people wouldn't want it as IRL managers don't get a tool like that. Having a 'show player values' box to check or uncheck sounds like a good idea.

i wouldnt like values to be removed completly. maybe the more you scout a player the more info you get rather then just a general number sometimes that comes nowhere near. or the ability to discuss the value in more depth. your scouts give you a value and once you make your offer the team might be like unacceptable double your offer before any more talks. or they reply player x was bought for 5m we think this player is about 7m etc etc. just more chances to understand what the price really is. i hate it when a player is budgeted at 5m a scout says about 12m and the club want 25m i know hes important to the club but let this reflect in someway so at least i know where i stand when bidding for a player

Values don't need to be hidden, the problem is when you are buying or selling the players. You are forced to pay up to 5x the player value to buy him, yet when you try to sell someone, more times than not, you are forced to accept a value 4x less the players value.

now that is what needs to be fixed. Why should we pay 50m+ for a 5m rated player & in return barely get 1m for the same player later on ?

IRL, Agents & staff help determine the value of a player for a team. Representatives from a team go and speak with reps from their targets team - similar to the 'Inquiry' tool in the game. A general price is presented before any paperwork starts. This is how transfer rumours start in the first place.

Amaroqs suggestion would be closest to the real thing and would save a lot of clicking to various screens to get a feel for the appropriate bid to capture a players services. I am always in favour of less clicks/greater efficiency! :thup:

I see the player values as like media speculation. There are often way out of kilter with the price the club will accept, so the real figure is hidden anyway. The media is always speculating, so I don't think they detract from the game; I just say don't take them too seriously.

I would actually like the option of removing values. Would make the game more realistic as a manager can judge how much a player is worth, based on stats and form.

Media could also 'rave' about a certain player meaning the price for him may be inflated etc.

It would have to be an option on load up IMO.

Agree. Now we focus on the price and not so much on stats and ratings etc. Normally, if you see a striker who scored 20+ goals in his last 5 seasons, it's a sign he knows how to score. However, in FM I've never looked at it or based my judgement on it. I go for value and stats. This option would add a new depth to it.

I see the player values as like media speculation. There are often way out of kilter with the price the club will accept, so the real figure is hidden anyway. The media is always speculating, so I don't think they detract from the game; I just say don't take them too seriously.

I actually do it the other way round :p I see the value as the price the player is what he should be worth, without club or media involvement, and see the asking price as a product of media and club speculation.

Imo the values have to stay. Bidding for players is already a bit of a lottery and we've had many complaints on these forums about guessing how much the club really want. Can you imagine how difficult it would be, if we had absolutely no idea of value and everythign was down to guess work.

Archived