Will you buy FM09 in Oct or wait untill Feb09?

It seems like Si Games has a rigid itinerary for their FM series, they release the game in Oct,then appease the masses and fix "some" issues and bugs a few weeks later and in February, 5 months after the game is out they release a 2nd and final patch which should (hopefully) make the game as good as it can be.

Knowing all this will you guys - the consumers - buy the game on release (something i've done for over 12 years) or will you wait untill February to buy it?

Personally, being so dissapointed with this current release ( i refer specifically to the match engine )i am almost certainly going to wait untill Official Patch 2 comes out in future.

It seems like Si Games has a rigid itinerary for their FM series, they release the game in Oct,then appease the masses and fix "some" issues and bugs a few weeks later and in February, 5 months after the game is out they release a 2nd and final patch which should (hopefully) make the game as good as it can be.

Knowing all this will you guys - the consumers - buy the game on release (something i've done for over 12 years) or will you wait untill February to buy it?

Personally, being so dissapointed with this current release ( i refer specifically to the match engine )i am almost certainly going to wait untill Official Patch 2 comes out in future.

Same as this year's version: wait untill a patch, see the reaction. Then decide to buy or wait some more.

It the upcoming patch fixes all the problems, I'll probably get a cheaper game than if I bought it in November, and one that I can really play "out of the box".

I have to say that it was pretty easy not to buy it (straight away) this year because nothing much has really changed the game from my experience with the demo. So maybe EVEN if the patch fixes everything I might still pass on it.

As per every year for the last god knows how many I'll get it for my birthday in November, I'll then generally wait until the X.01 patch is out if not already released.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deadeyedunc:

I think I'll actually wait until the first patch next year. All that happened this year was that I bought the game and didn't play it until the first patch was out. Just stuck with FM07 while waiting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whs, except I'm still not playing it and have sold my copy of FM08.

Don't know if I play fm09 at all. Haven't bothered to install the game since I reinstalled my computer.

Without editor tools like scout I feel it's to much effort and/or to time consuming to deal with versus what I get out of it. And sadly the scout and other tools seems to be one man works that you never know if they are going to turn up or not/when. Great efforts for sure but not very timely.

Maybe I feel different a year from know. But I started to feel rather bored with the game. Even if there are some new things in the game every year it still feels like the same game - like I could do with CM03-04 really.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TesBramble:

I'm actually outside Game now on my laptop in my tent waiting for the release. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pick me up a copy of 09 whilt your there lol

I buy Fm religiously every year so i usually get it on the day of release, or pre-order it on gameplay and get it the day before icon_biggrin.gif

I'm just going to skip FM09 all together unless SI finally make changes to tactics and match analysis.

CM4 was released a long time ago, I'm frustrated that SI don't even attempt to perfect tactical settings even more each year. It seems the match engine is so tightly bound to how tactics are currently configured, they have no interest in developing this side of the game further.

Each year since CM4 was released there have been threads started by people asking for less ambiguous tactical settings and greater match analysis information. Each year it goes ignored and we are still left to scratch our heads in frustration on what everything means and how it relates to the 2D match view.

Perhaps this will be CM's year for a quality game so we can have a real alternative.

If we buy by Feb, then it would be 6-9 months more before the next version is out.

Also, I've some reservations on buying a new version each year now as I could only see very little improvements or worse when there are even more problems.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by asshole182:

depends on what the general consensus is on its bugginess </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's kinda sad that we expect every version out of the box to be bugged. If FM 09 is the first version that is totally bug free, I'm sure everyone here would snap it up before Dec.

Probably pre-order

and if it is simply for collection reasons icon_razz.gif I got them all so far, so why stop now... even so I will be a father by then, so I probably will have other worries. Maybe I should pre-order it now already icon_wink.gif

• SI Staff

opul - could you please stop including that addition to your posts. We have a no advertising rule of the forums and signatures are disabled icon_smile.gif

Be interesting to see how many of the people who say they are going to wait are going to be tempted when they see what the game is going to be like icon_wink.gif

I'll be buying it when it's released. When FM08 first came out I used the time before the first beta patch came out to have a quick game and learn some of the new features and I enjoyed it. When the first beta patch came out I started my first 'proper' game with Man Utd and enjoyed that.

Then when the full 8.0.1 patch came out I started my long term carrer game with Gateshead and I'm enjoying that one immensly. I've never seen anything that I'd say made the game remotely unplayable so yes, I'll be buying '09 when it first comes out and agaion following the above format.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'll be buying it when it's released. When FM08 first came out I used the time before the first beta patch came out to have a quick game and learn some of the new features and I enjoyed it. When the first beta patch came out I started my first 'proper' game with Man Utd and enjoyed that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I used to do with the demo. Use that to find some players, get a tactic and stuff sorted then I had a good starting point for starting when the game came out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

Be interesting to see how many of the people who say they are going to wait are going to be tempted when they see what the game is going to be like icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can identify with this- as I was tempted this year when I saw the demo match engine ( after being disappointed with FM07) and thought "oh they only have to sort out the closing down"......

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'll be buying it when it's released. When FM08 first came out I used the time before the first beta patch came out to have a quick game and learn some of the new features and I enjoyed it. When the first beta patch came out I started my first 'proper' game with Man Utd and enjoyed that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I used to do with the demo. Use that to find some players, get a tactic and stuff sorted then I had a good starting point for starting when the game came out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you're saying FM08 was in affect a demo version of 8.0.2?

I hope I can withstand the temptation & wait for FM10

I've waited for the last patch this time around (before buying FM 08). But to be honest, after playing the demo and reading what others have said I still feel all the old problems are still there, namely that the game feels more like it has been designed to give experienced FM players a big challenge (even as big teams) rather than being a realistic simulation of real life football.

Will probably just keep waiting now until I play a demo that "feels right" again...and that I won't have to quit my job for just to win something with Chelsea!

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So you're saying FM08 was in affect a demo version of 8.0.2? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that I would play the six month demo when it was released before the game and use that to find some players, tactics etc then when the full game is released I would start a new game with that.

I'll wait to see how broken it is, then purchase after several patches and confirmed praise icon_wink.gif

Else wait for FM10 and repeat the process.

FM could do with some fresh ideas I think, as well as a focus on fun (without being Arcade/too easy).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T4RG4:

as well as a focus on fun (without being Arcade/too easy). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Totally agree. Realism is fine as long as the fun factor is not sacrificed in the name of it.

Archived