Is it impossible to win games with 5-4-1?

I think it could be hit and miss or it just doesnt suit every team. I am at West Ham and used this tactic for 2 seasons and i did really well although when i did play vastly superior teams, Liverpool / Arsenal, I got beat by a good few goals and against Real Madrid in Champions League I got thumped 6-0 somehow. Had to change tactic now due to different players but i think it depends obviously on your team. I had a good DMC and an AMC making forward runs supporting the striker.

yeah it does depend on your team, and the variation of the 5-4-1.

e.g. do you play with wingbacks? Do you use 4 midfielders straight across the park or play one more advanced?

I'm currently Arsenal, and play 5-4-1, with Clichy and Sagna as wingbacks, Toure, Sakho and Djorhou in the middle. Then in midfield, Fellani, Walcott and Arshavin, Fabregas more advanced and then Adebayor up front on his own.

It's a straight forward, flat 5-4-1.

It's hard because it's either Daniel Cousins or Nathan Tyson leading the attack. No money to buy any strikers.

I'm not getting beat by many due to my 5 man defence. Set pieces will probably prove to essential with this formation.

It's a straight forward, flat 5-4-1.

It's hard because it's either Daniel Cousins or Nathan Tyson leading the attack. No money to buy any strikers.

I'm not getting beat by many due to my 5 man defence. Set pieces will probably prove to essential with this formation.

Why not try a 4-5-1 thats alot easier to win games with :thup:

I've tried an failed many times when I 1st got FM2009. I still have a counter attacking 5-4-1 saved, but anytime I'm tempted to use it, it backfires, it just allows the opposition to dominate, and, inevitably, score goals.

Packing the midfield is a better option imo.:thup: Got Portsmouth to 6th doing that, and it also won me a Serie A with Inter, though negative tactics will always work in Italy;)

Archived