AI Whacky Substitutions

SI, great game. This is the best version yet. ME is excellent. But for FM 2010 can you please work on AI Subs. Let me explain by first stating that I am fully patched. Anyway, it is the 2008-9 season and I am Spurs and finished 13th. I then decided to watch full match (yes, I am a nerd) between Inter and Barcelona - the CL final. Barca won 2-0 in a very realistic match in that the first half was quite dull..just like most CL finals. But I love that bcse it felt real. That is until the 75th minute onward. That is when AI manager decisions became strange. And keep in mind that the subs I am speaking of were non-injury releated, non fatigue related.

With Barca up by 2 with 15 mintues left, Jose Mourihno aka AI decides to take out Maicon for that goal scoring machine Mattaerzzi a CB for a fullback. He had other attacking options on the bench but made that switch while keeping Viera in as a deep lying DM. With just a few minutes left, he the then swithced another CB for another CB. Weird. But that is not all. Barca's brain trust did something even more stange: they did not make a single sub!!!.why wouldn't they kill off the match in extra time by making subs or make some defensive subs to preserve lead?

This got me thinking about other matches that season so looked back at other AI v AI games and noticed that when AI did make subs it was often 2 subs at one time sometimes followed by the third. But 8 out of 10 times the AI always made that double sub move. I also noticed more matches in which one AI gaffer made no subs at all.

I would think that it should not be hard to program it so that AI always makes at least 2 subs per game or program it so that AI always makes one sub during or near stoppage time to kill of games.

Otherwise, awesome game!

I am assuming the Barca coach is Pep Guardiola if so that may be the reason he did not kill off the game. His stats are to not be defensive and always put pressure on the opposition. As for Jose I have no idea what were his other options on the bench and check if he changed the formation to have Maicon as a wing back :)

I always find it amusing that when the AI have an injury, and thus enforced sub, in the first half, they choose to bring off one or even two more players in the process. And so we can have a team use up all their subs before half time. I mean, isn't that so stupid?

I always find it amusing that when the AI have an injury, and thus enforced sub, in the first half, they choose to bring off one or even two more players in the process. And so we can have a team use up all their subs before half time. I mean, isn't that so stupid?

That actually happened this season! Think it was Stoke or West Ham or Everton. Well i can't remember who but it happened. All 3 subs before half time.

Why is it stupid? it is unusual granted but it is a possibility that it can happen - I will all depend on what subs they have. For instance you could have an injured player on the pitch but no direct substitution on the bench - ie. CB is injured but you have no CB on the subs bench. You might have though a RB on the pitch who can play as a CB so move him to cover the injured CB but you might not have a RB on the bench so you then need to mess around with the other player positions and you might even have to change formation. These could then mean that you have to make two subs to get the formation you want to use.

There is a valid reason why the AI could do this but if it is happening regularly (which is what i think everyone is saying) then it does sound a tab weird.

Why is it stupid? it is unusual granted but it is a possibility that it can happen - I will all depend on what subs they have. For instance you could have an injured player on the pitch but no direct substitution on the bench - ie. CB is injured but you have no CB on the subs bench. You might have though a RB on the pitch who can play as a CB so move him to cover the injured CB but you might not have a RB on the bench so you then need to mess around with the other player positions and you might even have to change formation. These could then mean that you have to make two subs to get the formation you want to use.

There is a valid reason why the AI could do this but if it is happening regularly (which is what i think everyone is saying) then it does sound a tab weird.

I just want the AI to be able to kill off games when it has lead in extra time by making subs if they are available. I dont think this should be hard to program into AI's decision making process.

I just want the AI to be able to kill off games when it has lead in extra time by making subs if they are available. I dont think this should be hard to program into AI's decision making process.

Again as I said previously some managers in the game do this but others dont like for example Pep and Arsene would not do that irl.

Again as I said previously some managers in the game do this but others dont like for example Pep and Arsene would not do that irl.

SORRY but you are wrong. Take a look at Barca's match stats this year and every time Barca had lead in ET subs were made. take a look. There for all to see.

I can understand that sometimes it is done for tactical reasons, but it does happen A LOT in the game.

And strangely, mostly in international matches. Not so much at club level.

Archived