"British" complaint

At Reading, we have a young midfielder called Jem Karacan. He was born in London to one English and one Turkish parent. He has represented Turkey at international level.

In the db, his nationality is Turkish/English. However, the game automatically changes this to Turkish/British when the game starts. This makes him eligible for Wales, Scotland and Nire, even though he isn't IRL.

My point is, players like Karacan, who have their place of birth set as somewhere in the UK, should not have British nationality if they are given a British second (or third) nationality. Karacan should be Turkish/English, Perrota Italian/English (although he matters less as he's capped by Italy), and so forth.

What nations does it say he is eligible for on his profile?

When a player gains British Nationality ingame he is only eligible for the nation he was in, not all the home nations.

If Karacan is eligible for all home nations incorrectly, then it's best posting in the Bugs forum if his Nationality is set correctly in the database.

What nations does it say he is eligible for on his profile?

When a player gains British Nationality ingame he is only eligible for the nation he was in, not all the home nations.

If Karacan is eligible for all home nations incorrectly, then it's best posting in the Bugs forum if his Nationality is set correctly in the database.

That's not true. Well certainly not in real life anyway.

I'll use Arteta as an example seen as the English media like to think he would play for them.

People forget that he spent 2 season with Rangers before going to Sociedad and then on to Everton.

If he gains "British" nationality, he would, effectively become eligible for all of the home nations, despite the fact that he would have been residing in England at the time his citizenship would be granted. This also applies to Nacho Novo. He has been in Scotland a long time and would like to play for us (I doubt Spain will come calling!) but he too would be able to play for any of the home nations.

The point the OP makes about this Reading player is that he was born in England, to an English parent and a Turkish parent. This means he can only play for these two nations. He is not "British" in the way the game makes out. You cannot IRL apply to become a Enlgish/Scottish national - only British. But people who are born in a home nation, are only allowed to play for that home nation, unless they have a parent who is born in another home nation.

Simply put, the Reading player should only be allowed to play for England or Turkey as those are his "nationalities". The game has not recognised that he was born in England and therefore cannot be "British" as many foreigners are classed.

At Reading, we have a young midfielder called Jem Karacan. He was born in London to one English and one Turkish parent. He has represented Turkey at international level.

In the db, his nationality is Turkish/English. However, the game automatically changes this to Turkish/British when the game starts. This makes him eligible for Wales, Scotland and Nire, even though he isn't IRL.

My point is, players like Karacan, who have their place of birth set as somewhere in the UK, should not have British nationality if they are given a British second (or third) nationality. Karacan should be Turkish/English, Perrota Italian/English (although he matters less as he's capped by Italy), and so forth.

Post this in the Reading data thread in the data issues forum :thup:

Having a British nat'l team would solve this mess. :)

Anyway, it would be a good idea to post about this problem in the bugs forum, I don't think it's a db issue.

What happens if he has Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish Grandparents on his English side? Surely then he is able to play for these countries?

IRL grand-parents can be used to qualify for a nation. Geoerge Boyd has just done this as he had/had a Scottish gradnfather.

As for a British National Team. One word....NO!

Funny how lots of English people want a GB tema but dion't want Rangers and Celtic in the Premiership. Flip side of the coim, funny out plenty of Hoops and Gers fans want them in ENgland, but can;t stand the idea of a GB team!

dafuge, TigerJoe, I already had before I posted this thread. It's not a data issue.

Vince: Karacan has never mentioned them, and he has been asked about it before. I think it's safe to say his grandparents are English.

I'll post in the bugs forum, although I think this is deliberate, so I posted it here.

That's not true. Well certainly not in real life anyway.

I'll use Arteta as an example seen as the English media like to think he would play for them.

People forget that he spent 2 season with Rangers before going to Sociedad and then on to Everton.

If he gains "British" nationality, he would, effectively become eligible for all of the home nations, despite the fact that he would have been residing in England at the time his citizenship would be granted. This also applies to Nacho Novo. He has been in Scotland a long time and would like to play for us (I doubt Spain will come calling!) but he too would be able to play for any of the home nations.

The point the OP makes about this Reading player is that he was born in England, to an English parent and a Turkish parent. This means he can only play for these two nations. He is not "British" in the way the game makes out. You cannot IRL apply to become a Enlgish/Scottish national - only British. But people who are born in a home nation, are only allowed to play for that home nation, unless they have a parent who is born in another home nation.

Simply put, the Reading player should only be allowed to play for England or Turkey as those are his "nationalities". The game has not recognised that he was born in England and therefore cannot be "British" as many foreigners are classed.

IRL Arteta and Novo wouldn't be able to play for England or Scotland as they don't have a blood relations in England/Scotland. People who gain British Nationality are unable to play for any of the Home Nations due to a Gentleman's Agreement that is in place.

The game however doesn't recoginze the Gentleman's Agreement and thus when they have lived in the UK for 5 years they gain Brisith Nationality but only become eligible for the Nation(s) they have played in. (I haven't so far seen someone in the game gain British Nationality after spending time in two Home Nations - so I don't know for definte how many Home Nations the game will make them eligible for).

The game shows this in two fields; Nationalities field that would for Karacan hold Turkish and British, whilst the Nations Eligible for field would hold Turkish and English (until he is declared for one nation).

If he declares for Turkey then his profile would show him being Turkish with British Second Nationality and only eligible for Turkey. (The fact that we was ever eligible for England would disappear).

If for some reason the game is making Karacan eligible for all the home nations then it is obviously a bug.

Having a British nat'l team would solve this mess. :)

No point in a British team imo since it would be full of Englishmen. Who can you honestly say is good enough from Scotland, Wales, Ireland for this British team?

I can't think of any from Scotland for example who would be good enough and I'm Scottish. Take Barry 'two fingers' Ferguson who's generally regarded as one of the best Scottish players. I personally dont think he's all that good and didn't do particularly well for Blackburn and I don't think he would have been all that good even if he didn't damage his knee.

No point in a British team imo since it would be full of Englishmen. Who can you honestly say is good enough from Scotland, Wales, Ireland for this British team?

I can't think of any from Scotland for example who would be good enough and I'm Scottish. Take Barry 'two fingers' Ferguson who's generally regarded as one of the best Scottish players. I personally dont think he's all that good and didn't do particularly well for Blackburn and I don't think he would have been all that good even if he didn't damage his knee.

Flecther might get in the squad, and Craig Gordon has been more impressive on the international stage than most of the English keepers but definately no to a British team

Flecther might get in the squad, and Craig Gordon has been more impressive on the international stage than most of the English keepers but definately no to a British team

HA! Fletcher - you've got to be kidding me! Might have done well with Man Utd but you ought to see him play for Scotland - he is awful. Just watck the 2-1 defeat by Italy - he hid the whole game. I wouldn't pick him for Scotland never mind GB!

Craig Gordon would be first choice keeper by far. No English keeper comes near him,

Ferguson only got picked for Scotland because he was the captain. Even if all that nonsense hadn't happened he would struggle to keep out Brown and Thomson.

Fletcher's bad for Scotland but GREAT for Man Utd.

Gordon, from what I'm told and what I've seen, is not that great for Sunderland - he got dropped, which for an expensive keeper at a relegation-threatened side is pretty poor.

Fletcher's good at allowing the big flair players to do the impressive stuff whilst he mops up - he can't run a midfield. At utd, and possibly for GB, he wouldn't be asked to. He just can't fit into a team where he has to try and be the main man.

We're going off topic but I like talking about who may get into a "British" team, and outside of England, there wouldn't be many:

Scotland

Gordon - A class keeper, Sunderland was just the wrong team for him.

Hutton - Been injured this season, but would be a natural fit at right back.

Wales

Bale - A few years and he'd make the left back role his own

Gunter - Again in a few years would take over from Hutton.

Ramsey - Would probably be in the mix.

Bellamy - Yes his temperment could make him an unlikely choice, but I'd choose him.

N. Ireland

Johnny Evans - Would be good backup.

Now if the Rep of Ireland could be included the team would be formidable! :p

Given is RoI and the only keeper you mentioned better than Gordon tbh. Hart is inconsistent at best and Calamity is too old and too unreliable. Green's a decent shout but the best English keeper is Ben Foster - but he can't get into the Man Utd team atm :-/

The only reason Craig Gordon isn't Sunderlands first choice is because Ricky Sbragia is a numpty :D

Take Barry 'two fingers' Ferguson who's generally regarded as one of the best Scottish players. I personally dont think he's all that good and didn't do particularly well for Blackburn and I don't think he would have been all that good even if he didn't damage his knee.

Totally off topic but that is a rediculous statement - maybe you should do some research on his Blackburn match reports.

You honestly think Hutton would be a better choice than Glen Johnson?

Defensively, yes.

Craig Gordon is rubbish and shouldn't be anywhere near said team. I'd take Green or James over him any day, even Given or Hart.

I had the "privilage" of seeing a few Hearts games whilst he was there and he is a super shot stopper, much like James is, and is good in the air, unlike James.

Given is RoI, as pointed out already, Green is a good shout, but read my post again, especially the word may. ;)

I'm actually surprised you didnt bring up my choice of Bellamy! :D

Archived