[RELEASED] FM2009 Sound Pack V1.0

Ok, so finally, here it is. Version 1 of the first Sound Pack for FM2009. :)

For those encountering this for the first time, you may wish to review the following topic, for how this Sound project came about, and the various tips etc that came to light during the discussion:

Matchday Sound: (Would appreciate comment from SI/Sega please)

So, about this Sound Pack (quoting from a summary of mine in the above topic):

When I began working on this, I couldn't have dreamed it would sound so different, with so many improvements. There are now many changes, in almost all areas of the matchday sound; with a new and improved 'background loop' (the sounds that play constantly in the background during the game), lots of chants added, along with drums, foghorns, and all-round improvements in the quality of the crowd's reactions to onfield events. Applause, booing, jeering, (general hostility to the opposition ;) ), cheers, encouragement, appreciation etc; all of these areas have been worked upon, and in my personal opinion, offer a vastly improved sound experience.

There is, unfortunately, one relatively important known issue, which I am working to resolve as fast as possible. Namely, that sometimes, the all important 'Goal Celebrations' do not always play when they are supposed to.

I held back from releasing this pack for a while, as I am not really happy to be releasing a work that is still not yet completely finished. But I know that many are looking forward to it, and as it is only that one area which is not fully functional, the rest of the Pack makes a huge difference to my enjoyment of the game, so I decided to release Version 1 as it is, so as you may begin enjoying it too.

Version 2 will be released as soon as I have resolved the issue with the Goal Celebrations.

That could be tomorrow, a week, two weeks....

I really just don't know at this moment in time.

But rest assured, that as soon as I figure out what is wrong, and make the necessary changes, Version 2 will be on it's way to you.

IMPORTANT INFO:

When downloading this Sound Pack, please firstly, before all else, ensure that you make back-up copies of your original Sound and Match Events folders located at:

C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\data

(please note, that if you downloaded the game via 'Steam', the data folder will appear in your Steam folder)

DIRECTIONS:

Having made your back up (and stored it outside of the main 'Football Manager 09' folder), click on the following Download Link, and download the Sound Pack:

FM2009 Sound Pack V1.0

(Edit:16/6/09) Due to broken link, please now use the following link @ FileFactory:

FM2009 Sound Pack V1.0

When it's finished downloading, you will need to 'unrar' the rar file containing the Sound Pack (using a programme such as winrar). Please read the 'Readme' file inside for further instructions, and then extract the two folders in this rar ('Sounds' and 'Match Events') to the following location:

C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\data

(remember that the data folder will be in your Steam folder if you downloaded the game by that method)

Select to "overwrite" existing folders when prompted, (clicking "yes to all").

That's it, all done. :thup:

Upon loading the game, enter the "Preferences" menu, navigate to "Display and Sound" and ensure that you have the option "play all sounds" selected.

The game should now be set to play your new sounds.

As I've said before, I'm disappointed that the celebrations issue prevents the Pack from being the fully finished article, but I don't want to withold it from you any longer.

If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, advice etc, I am happy to hear them in this topic.

I hope that you find this Sound Pack to be an enjoyable addition to your Matchday experience. :)

Kind Regards,

Benn.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, thank you all for the comments, and you are very welcome. :)

Downloading it now. Thank you :)

Mind if it gets distributed elsewhere Benn, with clear credit to you of course?

That is fine. :thup:

Though please make sure people understand that it is not yet the finished article. I wouldn't want anyone to be disappointed when they score a wonder-goal and the crowd are all just like, "yawn". ;)

I'm out for the night now.

Sorry for those with slow download speeds, I hope you don't have to wait too long.

Well, I'm off to the Johnstone Paints Trophy Final at Wembley before sleep, where I shall be engaged in the process of destroying Scunthorpe Utd and placing my first trophy in AFC Bournemouth's rather empty looking Cabinet. (Apologies to any Scunthorpe fans ;) )

I'll check in tomorrow to see how things are going.

Please let me know if you encounter any issues.

Goodnight to all, and I hope you enjoy the sounds. :thup:

Benn.

Can I ask, is there any sort of sound to indicate when a substitution is being made?

On a previous unofficial soundpack there was a tannoy sound which came on each time there was a sub and when added minutes were announced.

One of my major complaints with the sound already in the game is that it is easy to miss opposition substitutions.

Would really be interested to see if this included in your pack and if not maybe an idea for you.

Well done on doing this, great stuff!!

That is fine. :thup:

Though please make sure people understand that it is not yet the finished article. I wouldn't want anyone to be disappointed when they score a wonder-goal and the crowd are all just like, "yawn". ;)

Nice one, and disclaimer added ;) Really appreciate your hard work - just about to load things up and try things out :)

I am downloading it now but I have 7-zip so is that okay to extract the folder? Also, which task do I do to extract it? "Extract files..." or "Extract here"?

Thanks. :)

It doesn't matter, as long as it ends up at C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\data

7-Zip should work.

I've downloaded and installed, started up just fine. Peter-evo, I suspect you've got them in the wrong place.

Bennico, while I'm waiting for a match to roll around to try this out, I was looking at your match_events.cfg. Your problem is with goal sounds, right? And you only have one defined in the .cfg. The comments above say the frequency number (the third in 0,1,2,0) has no effect if only one sound is used, so use the number 1. You have a 2 in that slot, like all the other sounds. Have you tried a 1?

Can I ask, is there any sort of sound to indicate when a substitution is being made?

On a previous unofficial soundpack there was a tannoy sound which came on each time there was a sub and when added minutes were announced.

One of my major complaints with the sound already in the game is that it is easy to miss opposition substitutions.

Would really be interested to see if this included in your pack and if not maybe an idea for you.

Well done on doing this, great stuff!!

There's actually a tannoy announcement made shortly after the substitution is made. Super stuff really given the limitations Bennico has been working around.

Super job Bennico - I've had the Bognor crowd singing opera to my team :thup:

I was looking at your match_events.cfg. Your problem is with goal sounds, right? And you only have one defined in the .cfg. The comments above say the frequency number (the third in 0,1,2,0) has no effect if only one sound is used, so use the number 1. You have a 2 in that slot, like all the other sounds. Have you tried a 1?

Indeed, celebrations is the issue, though it's not only the SOUND_GOAL_SCORED command that affects this, as the SOUND_MEDIUM_CELEBRATIONS and also the SOUND_LIGHT_CELEBRATIONS commands seem to play a part too. I noticed this before I made any changes, when I was studying the sounds played by the game for each match event. Originally, there were 2 types of goal celebration, one in the GOAL_SCORED and one in MEDIUM_CELEBRATIONS.

I have tried with a 1 in the chance field at some point, but also of interest, is that despite the comments at the start of the cfg file you indicated to, the original cfg file has a 2 in the chance field also, so whilst I've been experimenting with other options in that field, for the pack I put it back to how the original was, until I find out what finally works.

Also, the aftermatch celebrations do not always work as supposed to either. I have another idea for those I'll try today, but still stuck on the goals. I've sent a message to michaelmurray to see if he has any ideas what may be the problem, as he's a great help in these areas. Hopefully he may time to have a look.

Thanks for your suggestions. I will try playing with a 1 in the chance field again, in combination with other ideas.

There's actually a tannoy announcement made shortly after the substitution is made. Super stuff really given the limitations Bennico has been working around.

Super job Bennico - I've had the Bognor crowd singing opera to my team :thup:

Thank you Zebedee, glad you are enjoying the improved matchday experience. :D

Indeed, there is a substitution tannoy, it does not seem to work for me 100% of the time, but it does usually make an announcement.

I've put them where you said, but I the sound is incredibly quiet and it sounds exacly the same as before!

Edit: Something just clicked and it sounds great :)

Ahh, good news Peter! :D

I was sorry to read you had problems, but then I read further that it's all working for you now, I am happy to hear that.

thiers no sound on mine i put everything in the right place can anyone help me please

Have you followed the instructions in the Opening Post regarding setting your "Display and Sound" preferences in the game's main menu?

I have it ticked sound cache set to all and the volume on full when I press test it makes a sound but when in the match it is silent

Ok, try this:

Go into your data folder. Click on to the Sounds folder, and the Match Events folder, and delete them both. So you have no sound or match events folders left in your data folder.

Now go back into the folder you downloaded, the one in the rar that is titled: "FM2009 Sound Pack_v1.0"

Inside, is a readme file, and two folders (sound and match events).

Left click once on the sounds folder to highlight it, then hold down the 'Ctrl' key and left click the match events folder, so as they are both highlighted.

Now right click and select 'copy', and then return to the data folder, and click paste.

Occasionally in the past I've found an issue with direct extractions, and found that this method resolved things for me.

Hopefully that works for you. :thup:

I have done what you said and then went back and started the second half of my match and the sound was there so thanks.

Although the other team and I have both done quite a lot of subs and there has been no announcement should there be?

Archived