Problem with calling dual nationalities up to England Squad

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could help me,

I have recently been given the England job and wanted to call my club goalkeeper, Diego Cavalieri, up to the England squad, he has a british passport, and in his screen shot says under nations eligible for, Brazil, Italy, England, he is uncapped for either side and is also not in any of their squads/national pools, but i cannot call him up to the squad, is there a way to do this as his record for me is unbelievable, in 3 seasons at Arsenal he has kept over 100 clean sheets! Cheers

British passport?

So I'd guess he is a nationalised Brit (by living there for 5 years?)

If so, I dont think he can play for England. I believe (correct me if wrong) that the Home Nations (United Kingdom) have a gentlemans agreement that nationised foreigners cannot play for the national teams (ie Cudicini couldn't have played for England anyway).

Correct me if I am wrong folks, I've only read this, its not my gospel.

British passport?

So I'd guess he is a nationalised Brit (by living there for 5 years?)

If so, I dont think he can play for England. I believe (correct me if wrong) that the Home Nations (United Kingdom) have a gentlemans agreement that nationised foreigners cannot play for the national teams (ie Cudicini couldn't have played for England anyway).

Correct me if I am wrong folks, I've only read this, its not my gospel.

That is indeed how it works in real life, but I don't think it's in the game.

I saw an SI guy say that if he's played in a youth match that was a friendly, that wouldn't tie him to a country, but if he's played in a competitive game at youth level, then that would. Does Cavalieri have any youth caps?

The gentlemens agreement is only in real life. Seeing as its nothing more than a verbal agreement between FA's.

In game its different. Try get your Ass Man to scout him for the National squad.

That is indeed how it works in real life, but I don't think it's in the game.

I saw an SI guy say that if he's played in a youth match that was a friendly, that wouldn't tie him to a country, but if he's played in a competitive game at youth level, then that would. Does Cavalieri have any youth caps?

no he is uncapped at all levels, obviously he has gained british nationality bu originally being at liverpool then arsenal therefore more than 5 years, so i presumed he would be eligible for the english national side, but there is no way to call him up, i presume there isnt a way that i suggest he could be considered for the england team like via media interaction etc?

There is a screen somewhere on the Players Profile that shows you how long a player has lived in a certain country..

I have noticed that sometimes it may say something along the lines of 'considering applying for citizenship'... or something along them lines.

didn´t hargreaves play for england even tough he was Canadian?

Yes he did, but i think he had always had a british passport,

I think the agreement only applies to passports gained by residence in the country as opposed to other means such as having a british mother like hargreaves

Cavalieri could play for england he just has no desire to and will probley prefer a call up from brazil. and thats right if you are born in another country and neither parent is english the fa wont select you. hence the outcry with almunia

Are you sure about this gentleman's agreement? Because there is a alot of fuss right now about whether or not Manuel Almunia will be called up for England by Capello.

If there isn't I think Northern Ireland should call him up first considering that he will be British not English

This is the first i have heard of any gentlemen's agreement but i'm australian so i guess i wouldn't have, but it seems like a rather pointless agreement as the epl's strength obviously lies in its money and that has led to heaps of foreigners, so wouldn't it be a good idea to grab some of these players from other nations for the english squad? I mean Almunia a better keeper than any england has.

Are you sure about this gentleman's agreement? Because there is a alot of fuss right now about whether or not Manuel Almunia will be called up for England by Capello.

There was a fuss about Nacho Novo for Scotland too, and it didn't happen because of the agreement. And Almunia isn't good enough to warrant ignoring the agreement anyway, or certainly not that much better than the options we have.

There's nothing to stop Capello from calling Almunia for the England squad because the agreement is only that - an agreement its not an actual rule that can be enforced. I have always thought for some reason that Capello would be the first person to break this 'agreement'.

At the same time, there's nothing to stop him calling up, say, John Fleck.

Cudicini refused to play for England and Wales didn't want him. This was before the gentleman's agreement. Sven also wanted Malbranque, Saha and somebody else before the agreement was thought up when Novo became eligible.

I can't call up French/Senegalese players as Senegal manager, even if they're not declared :mad:

Just wondering, is there a FIFA statute that says something about which nationalities are eligible for which of the british countries. I don't mean the so called agreement but more so if a player (Novo for example) get's british citizenship what says he is only eligible for Scotland? Same as any uncapped players in the four countries. Surely FIFA must have some eligibility rules in the rules that it has about recognising each country's FA and national team

The problem is you can't have Scottish or English passports. They're British passports. Britain is made up of four countries. If a player plays in any of these 4 countries for 5 years then they're eligible for a British passport. Carrying a British passport would, in practice, allow any of these players to play for any of the home nations.

So, Almunia could play for Scotland/Wales/NI as well as England if the agreement wasn't in place. There is also a fear that if this agreement wasn't in place that FIFA may insist of the home nations playing under a British banner rather than keeping their current national identity.

Just wondering, is there a FIFA statute that says something about which nationalities are eligible for which of the british countries. I don't mean the so called agreement but more so if a player (Novo for example) get's british citizenship what says he is only eligible for Scotland? Same as any uncapped players in the four countries. Surely FIFA must have some eligibility rules in the rules that it has about recognising each country's FA and national team

i don't think they do because the UK is a special case in that there is no official recognition of different nationalities in law (i thnk).

The real reason i think that the agreement is in place is not to stop one country benefiting more than others, i'm sure England wouldn't be bothered if Novo played for Scotland, but rather that if it happened it might severly weaken the basis for separate national teams. FIfa are apparently quite keen on a UK Fa because at the moment, the Four home nations are guarenteed places on the FIFA board which is a disproportionate influence.

The same arguments are put forward against there being a UK football team at the Olympics

So there is nothing at FIFA level to say a Scottish youngster who has only Scottish heritige cannot play for England, Wales, Northern Ireland? This seems a bit weird to me.

well isn't the Scottish lad a British citizen by birth since the four countries aren't countires per se. I am only trying to understand the situation but isn't the UK the "country" and England, Ireland, Scotland and Northern Ireland only "dominions".

Wikipedia states that UK nationals are all "British citizens" so to me it seems that anyone in any of the countries could play anywhere unless there is a particular FIFA rule to say otherwise.

Does the same not go for both Irelands? My understanding is that if a Northerner wants Irish citizenship he can get it. Does this not make him eligible for the Republic then? It's all very complicated to me

If you are English by birth and parentage, then you can only play for England, but you are a UK national.

If you are foreign, and live here 5 years, you get a non-specific British passport, meaning you are a national of the region, not the specific country.

Thats as easy as it can be described in my opinion, but there are bound to be loopholes?!

Archived