Couple of Questions on Mentoring

Hey all,

I have been checking a lot of what people have written on these forums about mentoring, and the only things i cant seem to find are:

Is there an ideal age to mentor a player? As in is it better to mentor them when there 16 and never playing first team football or is it better when they are just starting to play more regularly?

Also, there are 3 options for mentoring (ideal role model, can learn from, and something else i cant remember!). Which should be used in which situation?

Cheers in advance!

Hey all,

I have been checking a lot of what people have written on these forums about mentoring, and the only things i cant seem to find are:

Is there an ideal age to mentor a player? As in is it better to mentor them when there 16 and never playing first team football or is it better when they are just starting to play more regularly?

Also, there are 3 options for mentoring (ideal role model, can learn from, and something else i cant remember!). Which should be used in which situation?

Cheers in advance!

1) Any age - earlier is better in some ways, because if they are unprofessional, it's best to get that professionalism stuck in early to help their development.

2) It doesn't matter. The 3 options are simply how long it takes to finish mentoring (unless it breaks up early due to personality clashes, for example) - from longest to shortest.

Archived