Suggestion: Textual translation of attributes

I think the ideas been touched on before but I couldn't find any specific thread covering it.

There are bits around this within the game, but I think they can be puleld together in one central place.

I would like a section similar to the PPMs where it shows an interpretation of the attributes as an easily understandable text string. Highlighting what they are good and bad at without having to intrept the numbers yourself.

I originally thought it could sit as another elvel of detail within the coach/scout reports (which I feel should be more detailed) but also think it should be available on the screen where the PPMs currently sit (see screenshot for details) after all, if you can see the numbers, you should be able to know what they mean.

Examples:

Someone has good technique, finishing, composure - it will say "tends to take goal scoring chances well"

Someone has poor jumping, anticipation, strength, heading - it will say "not very good at winning balls in the air"

Someone has good passing and technique, but low decision making and creativity - it will say "has the ability to pass well and create chances" and "doesn't spot when killer balls are on"

obviously the text is up for debate, but hopefully you get the point.

Screenshot

I think this will be a useful tool for those that think the game is over complicated with all the stats and attributes. And could be linked into the commentary, training, player description, media.

The scout/coach reports do tend to comment on stuff like that

Not always - especially if a player is multi-talented, and rarely ever more than one line.

For example, Mr. Aguero - looking at his coach report it says he's fast and doesn't have any weaknesses

He wins about 2% of headers in any given match, and finishes like 50% of his chances but there's no mention of it.

Nice idea, but things like "no good at free kicks" and "not very good in the air" are common sense and it would need to be more detailed. Judging by your examples of "good abilities" you know this, as they give us insight into attributes that we don't necessarily know anything about i.e. ability to handle pressure.

However, this is verging on the giving the hidden attribtes game away, and i'm not sure how interested SI are in that, no matter how good an idea it is.

Great idea but actually there's something like that in the game. If you look at the profile of a player, you will see a dropdown list at the top right corner. If you choose graphical attributes you will get a polygon shaped graphic. I think that is nearly what you want. You can switch views with up/down arrows. But I think it would be better if no numerical attributes could be shown and you have to decide just with graphical attributes or textual translation like CaptainPlanet mentioned. IRL you can't give exact numbers for player skills.

Ιn relation to this, it would be nice to have this kind of sentences to the attributes, instead of exact numbers..

This way, you wouldn't know if he has 17, 18 or 19 at finishing, but just that "he is a very good finisher" in the description..

Great idea but actually there's something like that in the game. If you look at the profile of a player, you will see a dropdown list at the top right corner. If you choose graphical attributes you will get a polygon shaped graphic. I think that is nearly what you want.

i always use the different shapes to get a good overview of a player but i think the OP has a really good idea. this would be a help for new players. i think experienced players don't really need to be told if a player can take a freekick though. include an option to turn it off or even better have the text detail some of the more vague things about the game as that would be useful for everyone

• 2 weeks later...

Although I completely agree with your concept CaptainPlanet and would support it, don't you think it would make us players just lazy? I mean it would take away some of the experimenting and researching parts that I love about FM. Unless you could somehow choose not to use it of course.

You could say that about a lot of the current interpretational features though - assistant manager feedback, certain lines in the coach/scout reports

All I'm really looking for is a bit more detail, in real life if a manager is looking at a brief summary of a player - he doesn't have a list of numbers to look at to figure out if he's any good at heading the ball or taking a freekick.

Yeah that's very true.

One of the most difficult parts of FM of course is trying to find out which attributes are linked.

E.g. I could never figure out why coaches never achieved a 7-star set pieces coaching rating even if they had 20 points of technique coaching. It took me a full hour browsing through all the threads here to find out that mental and attacking coaching attributes are linked to set pieces coaching.

Same thing counts for players obviously.

I guess a lot of people need help with that. Including myself.

Can't really argue with this. I do think that this should be a feature of the scout report more than anything else though. Basically like we have now with strength and weaknesses just expanded upon :thup:

• 1 month later...

Archived