Quick question - swapping positions

Right, I'm thinking of starting a new game with FC Barcelona and have been thinking over possible tactics. There's one thing i would like to know...

Say i had a front 3 of - Henry Eto'o Messi,

I'm pretty sure there is no way to get all three of them to swap between themselves. However, second best idea, if I were to set Henry to swap positions with Eto'o, and also set Messi to swap position with Eto'o (so that all three spend time in the centre and Eto'o goes all over the shop, but the wingers don't swap), would that work? Or does Eto'o have to be set to swap with one of them two also for it to work?

Basically, do both players have to be set to swap with eachother for them to swap, or does it work if just one of them is set?

Thanks (that's the best i could try and explain it, sorry!)

On a somewhat related note, I hate it when the AI does this to me, some managers (especially Wenger) likes to keep switching their forwards around and it wreaks havoc on my defence. I generally put my stronger DC on Adebayor, but whenever I do that Adebayor switches position with RVP and my weaker DC ends up marking him. When I switch my stronger DC over to mark Adebayor he switches back, and so on and so forth until the match is over. It's so annoying because even when you set your DC to specific man marking he still won't follow his original man as soon as he swaps positions.

A word of warning is that when players swap positions they will always take up instructions for each position rather than retain their own, so if you have Messi set to cross often and he swaps position with Eto’o, then Eto’o will be trying to cross often, even if he doesn’t have the attributes to do this well.

A word of warning is that when players swap positions they will always take up instructions for each position rather than retain their own, so if you have Messi set to cross often and he swaps position with Eto’o, then Eto’o will be trying to cross often, even if he doesn’t have the attributes to do this well.

i always thought that there should be a button for "retain player instructions" or something similar whan using swapping positions.

it actually stopped me using it

Fully agree, Campbells. There is a difference between "Swap Position" and "Swap Role", in my mind, that needs a bit of fixing tactically!

I want my pacey striker and my target man to switch sides, but not instructions, for example.

Archived