Newbie Guide?

Hi guys, I am a big fan of simulation games and after reading reviews about football manager, ive decided to play it. From the reviews, i found that this game is pretty deep and addictive and that got me excited! But when I started the game, there was no whatsoever guide or tutorial which covers how to basically start with the game. I am completely lost :(. I am very new to the game and would really to try it out but the lack of any guide or whatsoever regarding how to start is making me see the game as boring :(

When I tried to start a new game, I only get to create my own manager, choose a country, choose a team, and choose my nationality. After that I am thrown into the game world without even a good walkthrough as to what I need to do or even a basic overview of how the game starts or how the game works.

If anyone has any NEWBIE guide there regarding how to start with the game or something, it would be greatly appreciated if you could share em.

(by the way, i don't play football IRL :p)

The guides suggested are a good starting point. Personally, i'd download a tactic to start with and use that while I get used to other aspects of the game, i'd also take over a big team e.g. Barca or Manchester United, that way you have everything you need e.g. scouts, staff, players, at your disposal and you can concentrate on getting used to the layout/other bits and bobs. Once you're adequately settled with things like Match Views, Squad Selectio, Contracts etc i'd move on to the tactical side of the game, which is without doubt the most difficult part to get your head round.

If you have any specific queries you can always ask here, or do a search.

Another tip also - if you find the options overwhelming (and it can be at first) delegate some of the duties to your assistant manager. Such as arranging friendlies, press conferences, team talks etc. As you get more confident you can start taking over some of these yourself, but provided your AM is half decent he should be able to handle these duties to a satisfactory degree. The AM is also a valuable guide for tactics come match day, as he will highlight the opposition dangermen, suggest ways on how to minimise their influence, and give you feedback on how your own team is doing. So pretty much - make the most of your AM!

All good suggestions, but there is also a place for sheerly overwhelmed by the options - please post back your questions in this thread and we'll do what we can to help you.

In the meantime, here are a few other resources for you:

1. Marc Vaughan's Hints and Tips - Marc is one of the developers, so you're getting tips right from the source; its also aimed at somebody new to the series rather than at getting the most out of everything.

2. More newbie questions - was a good thread started by a poster at a similar level; he was American so needed help learning The Beautiful Game as well as this game's simulation of it.

Read the FAQ and Tactical Bible threads at the top of the Tactics forum and also wwfan's T T and F thread for an indepth look at tactics and how to set them up

Go to preferences and tick tutorial, also if you want a guide to whatr players to sign check the good player and team guide forum, if it's a killer tactic your after check the tactics and training forum :thup:

Archived