I wish Football Manager looked more like FIFA Manager

Hi everyone, put your knives, harsh words and other offensive enities aside for one second and listen first please, then feel free to smash me!

Well I am a huge FM fan. It is one of the rare games that I collect and I am as addicted to it as everyone present here. Therefore up till around 5 minutes ago I never even bothered to look at FIFA Manager or whatever other manager games there exist out there.

However 5 minutes while just browsing on the internet looking at some games and other things on some sites I came across some screen shots of FIFA Manager and in all honesty they are freaking fantastic! I mean yes, the gameplay I have no idea about and I hear its just terrible and I know its not half as indepth as FM however it looks just fabulous!

Everyone who has not seen FIFA Manager 09 go take a look at some of the screen shots. Now I am not just talking about graphics I mean everything visual about the game, no offence SI, rips the crap out of FM!

I have never played FIFA Manager 2009 and I never will. HOWEVER the game does look bloody fantastic.

So here is the question (if you havent seen what FIFA Manager 09 looks like go take a quick look before pondering this next question):

If the FM looked like FIFA Manager 09 would you consider Football Manager a better game. So everything stays the same but Football Manager now looks fantastic. For me the answer is yes.

I know people are thinking that the visuals will get boring but no matter how many times you look at Jessica Alba she is still smashing hot! I know its been said before a gazzilion times but, and I have no idea what SI have installed for us next, but maybe we dont need more addon features like Team Talks and Media Conferences, which I believe are jsut terrible, maybe the game needs a facelift... I am not just talking about the skin of the game but a whole new look. Match day experience needs to be revamped. I mean the Match Engine in my opinoin is pretty damn good, not perfect, but Match Day Expereince is just terrible. Also would it hurt to see the 3D match more realisitic? I am no artist but I can draw more realistic looking figures then what we see in FM09...

Okay, I am probably going to be considered a nobody and everyone is going to just hammer me and SI please do not ban me from this forums, but I really feel the game needs a facelift. The game needs to take a new direction, no more useless features and more cosmetics!

I think everyone will forgive SI if they chillaxed alittle on the players scouting and getting it every player as statiscically real as possible. SI can we see a much more handsome looking game in FM10?

Please comment and if I have missed anything please feel free to add or reject or just whatever.

Cheers,

ReeNah

It's whats on the inside that counts not whats on the outside.

I would rather have a game that was full of stats, in depth scout reports, media interaction and tactics than the game being more easy on the eye. That is just my opinion and I'm sure you will get lots of people agreeing with you on giving the game a facelift but I really feel that the way FM looks just now is perfectly fine.

One thing I would like to see though was a much improved looking 2D Classic pitch :thup:

Long live the Dots.

It's whats on the inside that counts not whats on the outside.

I would rather have a game that was full of stats, in depth scout reports, media interaction and tactics than the game being more easy on the eye. That is just my opinion and I'm sure you will get lots of people agreeing with you on giving the game a facelift but I really feel that the way FM looks just now is perfectly fine.

One thing I would like to see though was a much improved looking 3D TV View pitch :thup:

Death to the Dots.

I totally agree with everything you said, but I had to fix that for you...

Seems strange we say "It's the guts, not the skin" and then ask for an improved presentation...

I totally agree with everything you said, but I had to fix that for you...

Seems strange we say "It's the guts, not the skin" and then ask for an improved presentation...

You will pay for this SSGTroyer. CAMRAD will hunt you down until you are found! :p

I know I contradicted myself but the only thing I want to see improved is the 2D Classic mode. Everything else is already beautiful :D

That would be nice to have.

There's nothing wrong with a good looking game. FIFA Manager does look good, but that's where it ends. The quality, depth and realism is in FM. That's what ultimately counts.

Previously , after reading reviews about FIFA Manager it sounded pretty good, but i had never actually gone and checked it out myself on their website. I just have , and the only comment i have is , childish. They have only one thing to rival FM , and that of course is their 3D, but except for that their well short. In a couple of additions , i can imagine FM having almost similar 3D hopefully!

FIFA manager does look stunning, however the gameplay, database and relative realism is so poor it's not worth the cash. The 3d match engine does look great but is full of bugs (a lot more bugs than fm's). If si could replicate the graphical side of FIFA manager they would completely blow any competitor out the Market.

I personally wouldn't play any of the FIFA series, Manager or the Playing one. I can't stand EA and refuse to give them money. FM and Pro Evo for me everytime. Looks aren't everything, gameplay is what counts.

i have played it and i admit that i enjoyed the visual side, and the different options that you can do

however the most important thing of the game, the actual match system, is soooooo poo you don't even understand, it is so unrealistic and it is so easy to score 10 goals a game and you can go unbeaten with fulham in the first year..........

football manager is better

I'm completely new to Football Management games so I picked up a copy of FIFA Manager 09 for Christmas and I've got to say it's overwhelming in terms of what can be managed. It's not that I don't like the game it's just that I'm really not convinced that I know what I'm doing.

This week I've bought Football Manager 09 - now that it's half price - and I've got to say that I'm finding my way around the screens quicker than I did with FIFA Manager.

As a complete noob it does look as if there's more to manage in FIFA Manager, I've got to look after selling advertising boards in the stadium and selling merchandise etc. Please don't shoot me down if this stuff is in Football Manager too, I just haven't seen these yet.

However, more stuff to manage/worry about is not necessarily fun! In my few plays of Football Manager it does look as if I can focus on acquiring players, training players and playing games - which I would guess is the whole point.

Downsides on the FIFA Manager side for me is that each screen looks great, but has a different layout. The consistency of interface in Football Manager means that you know exactly where to look for options to change stuff. In FIFA Manager the buttons and options could be anywhere on each and every screen. From a match engine perspective I couldn't help feeling that my players were not playing how I would expect them to in FIFA Manager. Some of the decision making and opportunity taking were attrocious - but then again that could just be down to my tactics. With Football Manager it does look as if I can see play building up more realistically and is ultimately more enjoyable even if you're comparing dots with 3D.

For me, I'm more likely to stick with Football Manager and occasionally dip back into FIFA Manager.

On the FIFA vs. PES front, I've not played PES, but I have noted that every review of the two this year has stated that FIFA 09 has finally taken the lead. I have to say that I think FIFA 09 is a great game.

I think a lot of people are missing the point. What op was saying was, how much would FM rock even more if it actually looked decent. The current look is very stale and needs a revamp. I ask myself, would I rather see a nice new look/layout or another useless, tedious, pointless new addition like press conferences?

As a complete noob it does look as if there's more to manage in FIFA Manager, I've got to look after selling advertising boards in the stadium and selling merchandise etc. Please don't shoot me down if this stuff is in Football Manager too, I just haven't seen these yet.

I think we all know that manager's don't look after the merchandising and advertising side of a football club. That is where FIFA Manager falls down. It's not realistic enough and they have added little gimmicks into the game just like LMA do (correct me if i'm wrong).

Don't worry I'm not shooting you down because this sort of thing isn't in FM09 because it's not what a football manager's job is. So you won't be finding any of this sort of nonsense in FM :)

Welcome to the forums and I hope you enjoy FM09 :thup:

It does look decent, you can't really expect FM to be identical to FIFA Manager in terms of graphics, I'd rather have CM01/02 graphics with all FM09 features, I'd love that.

Seconded :)

I love that game. If you gave it the new features then it would be amazing!

people have the nerve to complain about tactics in FM

atleast some form of tactics work, i can't for the life of me ever figure out how to play a game and not lose more than 7-0 in fifa man :D

only thing i enjoy about fifa man is playing chairman

Why is this off topic? Now noones gonna be looking in here... It was about both games and it has to do with the up and coming Football Manager games... Jeez unfair how it was moved... Maybe I didnt make much sense?

Anyways... I still feel only Menion is getting my point, maybe its because he is the only one agreeing with me. I see some very valid points put forward by Simbad... Obvoiusly no game is perfect but purely looking at the screen shots FIFA Manager looks perfect!!

Anyways thanks for your input everyone! Hmm... Dunno maybe I can go make my own game if I am so desperate huh?

Cheers,

ReeNah

• Administrators

Maybe a slightly different title, one suggesting that you were discussing Football Manager may have made this thread look a little clearer! You're right though, there is enough FM discussion to keep this on-topic.

I neither hate or dislike FIFA Manager, I just think that FM is a lot better if you want to be a football manager. I find FIFA tends to have a few aspects that draw the gamers concentration away from football, with Families, houses car and your overall homelife, whilst i do like this feature, it always seems to distract me from thinking about results on the pitch, I seem to start wondering how long it will be before i get a new car and when I can afford a better house.

They are both different games that will appeal to differnt people, I myself would play both, except that FM tends to run better on my computer (with the exception of FM2009!)

My favourite feature on FIFA is the ability to create a club and drag them up out of nowhere into the football league.

However, I do not like the match engine and usually resign to just simulating results, which, in my opinion, should never, ever be a feature in footy management gmaes, as it tends to just encourage quick and careless gameplay

However, I do not like the match engine and usually resign to just simulating results, which, in my opinion, should never, ever be a feature in footy management gmaes, as it tends to just encourage quick and careless gameplay

No matter what, it would be optional, so what's the big deal if it leads to quick and careless gameplay :confused: The same could be said of commentary at the highest speed setting, I don't see why anyone would get their knickers in a twist because someone else was performing quick sloppy gameplay.

No matter what, it would be optional, so what's the big deal if it leads to quick and careless gameplay :confused: The same could be said of commentary at the highest speed setting, I don't see why anyone would get their knickers in a twist because someone else was performing quick sloppy gameplay.

Alas , It would always have tempted me into simulating resulrts as sometimes I just want to get to the transfer windows ASAP, whereas In FM you cannot skip games (unless you go on holiday, but i can resist this).

The Match engine in FIFA manager is/was terrible, last time I played it, (back when it was Total Club Manager 2005, With Mourinho on the front cover), it looked like it might as well have been subbuteo or something, the movement of players was rubbish, everything looked static and the only difference between Non league games and premiership games was the teams participating, every game, no matter what team you played with was the same, there was no visible signs of difference in quality.

Maybe a slightly different title, one suggesting that you were discussing Football Manager may have made this thread look a little clearer! You're right though, there is enough FM discussion to keep this on-topic.

Cheers friend!

Hi everyone, put your knives, harsh words and other offensive enities aside for one second and listen first please, then feel free to smash me!

When someone starts off with this I start sharpening the knives. Anyway I've just had a look at some screenshots of Fifa Manager 09 and all I can say is that they don't look very good to me.

As someone else said they look childish and of not very good quality.

That's me out

Almondo

One thing I think the OP has failed to consider is that Football Manger has an important fan base form by people who are not typical computer games, and therefore do not have high end computer gaming system specially do not have advance dedicated graphic cards on their pc...... the 3d match engine as is is pushing the system of many Football Manager players, a match engine that takes into acount the amount of data Football Managers match engine does and looks like FIFA Manager one does would not be able to be run in anything but the newest high end gaming computers which could end alienating an important part of the Football Manager Fanbase

I'd by far prefer work on making the game even more realistic and cutting down on the plethora of (semi)game breaking bugs the game often has upon release rather than fancy graphics :)

Of course if we can have everything and it'll still allow the people enjoying the game on old-ish computers to play it no one would object, doubt that'll happen anytime soon tho :)

I actually completely agree with you. Forget Fifa as a game, it does not compare to FM at all but that's not to say FM can improve its look.

I think the presentation needs ''jazzing up'' if you like, as long as the playability is not sacrificed I see absolutely nothing wrong in making the game look better, I've seen Ter comment on this and also a thread which is around a year old recently bought up again stating a better look for the game which nearly everyone in it agreed with.

As long as it has no detremental effect on specs etc then I'm all for better graphics, looks whatever you wanna call it.

One thing I think the OP has failed to consider is that Football Manger has an important fan base form by people who are not typical computer games, and therefore do not have high end computer gaming system specially do not have advance dedicated graphic cards on their pc...... the 3d match engine as is is pushing the system of many Football Manager players, a match engine that takes into acount the amount of data Football Managers match engine does and looks like FIFA Manager one does would not be able to be run in anything but the newest high end gaming computers which could end alienating an important part of the Football Manager Fanbase

:thup: I totally agree.

I personally wouldn't play any of the FIFA series, Manager or the Playing one. I can't stand EA and refuse to give them money. FM and Pro Evo for me everytime. Looks aren't everything, gameplay is what counts.

agreed dude. i'm not an EA fan either. but we have to admit that they do have some things that would be kindof cool for FM or Pro Evo. the 3d engine for FM and more leagues and licenses for Pro Evo.

you ar right but game graphics and engines can be tweaked to work on slower computers too. i mean think of half life 2. when it came out the graphics were great and the physical engine...and it ran ok on my 2002 pc. i'm just saying a mix between good graphics and great performances can be acheived

I think the OP is 100% spot on. Too many people jump on the back of everyone that says that FM needs improvements looks-wise and claim that 'well the game is great, I don't give a sod what it looks like'.

To be frank, the game is ugly; it has been for a long time. Everything that StanPetrov suggested in his thread needs implementing into the game. The way the whole screen looks when you load up Football Manager is not nice at all. We need to make the badges BIGGER and the match-day screens JUMP OUT at rather than hide behind a blanket of stats.

I think the OP is 100% spot on. Too many people jump on the back of everyone that says that FM needs improvements looks-wise and claim that 'well the game is great, I don't give a sod what it looks like'.

To be frank, the game is ugly; it has been for a long time. Everything that StanPetrov suggested in his thread needs implementing into the game. The way the whole screen looks when you load up Football Manager is not nice at all. We need to make the badges BIGGER and the match-day screens JUMP OUT at rather than hide behind a blanket of stats.

I agree with everything you said Peter, but i would not go as far as to say it is ugly, to me, it is kind of dull and lifeless.

Graphics would certainly improve it and I hope that something is done sooner or later but in the end, I would not want it to look completely different.

I agree with everything you said Peter, but i would not go as far as to say it is ugly, to me, it is kind of dull and lifeless.

Graphics would certainly improve it and I hope that something is done sooner or later but in the end, I would not want it to look completely different.

I define ugly as: "Not wanting to look at it" and that is how I feel about FM a lot of the time.

more options of a proper made skin at the start would be good, no offense to any skin makers out there im glad you do it as wed all have to put up with the default white boring one!!

In some ways it could do with a few tweaks but not so much so that it doesnt look like FM anymore because that would ruin it.

I don't wish it did,Id only like a couple of things to look like Fifa. I find Fifa too cheesey to look at. I remember some one saying its like a comic book the way its set out.

I like the way Fm is set out not over cheesey nice and smart layout.

Archived