Tony Mowbray

I was surprised to see that Leicester were managing to attract so many top players when I'm struggling to attract reasonably good players. I am at Watford in the Championship, Leicester have just won league 1. I thought it might have something to do with my manager rep, so thought I'd compare the Leicester manager's rep (Tony Mowbray), see here:

http://img409.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tonymowbrayprofiledo8.png

Imagine my surprise in finding Mowbray has a continental rep, despite his FM record being two years at West Brom (sacked), 3 months at Middlesbro (sacked), 1 season at Leicester (league 1 title). As far as I'm aware he was no great shakes as a player either, any suggestions as to why he's so highly revered?

I was surprised to see that Leicester were managing to attract so many top players when I'm struggling to attract reasonably good players. I am at Watford in the Championship, Leicester have just won league 1. I thought it might have something to do with my manager rep, so thought I'd compare the Leicester manager's rep (Tony Mowbray), see here:

Imagine my surprise in finding Mowbray has a continental rep, despite his FM record being two years at West Brom (sacked), 3 months at Middlesbro (sacked), 1 season at Leicester (league 1 title). As far as I'm aware he was no great shakes as a player either, any suggestions as to why he's so highly revered?

• SI Staff

No great shakes as a player?

He was captain of Middlesborough in his early twenties, played for them for ten years and was integral in getting them back to the top division. After a spell at Celtic he finished his career as captain of Ipswich and scored our equaliser against Barnsley at Wembley in the play-off final when we got back into the top flight.

That career wouldn't be enough to get him a continental rating, a national rating yes but continental absolutely no way.

Ippy (booo) are hardly known around Europe and Boro certainly weren't when he was there and when he was at Celtic it was Rangers turn for domination at the time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IbrahimAliMaher:

Imagine my surprise in finding Mowbray has a continental rep, despite his FM record being two years at West Brom (sacked), 3 months at Middlesbro (sacked), 1 season at Leicester (league 1 title). As far as I'm aware he was no great shakes as a player either, any suggestions as to why he's so highly revered? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Tony Mowbray in that screen is from 2010.

In my save, I took over West Brom at the start of the season, and Mowbray went to Southampton. I'm currently first in the table, and he's currently second.

He's still got national rep, though, which is about right. This is in Jan 2008.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ATW:

The thing is why would Mowbray only be known in England (National) when he spent a bit of time in Scotland? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So "Continental", as far as the game is concerned, is "UK & Ireland", is it? Rather than Europe? And likewise with

I was never too sure about that.

I thought that "National" referred to the United Kingdom, Continental referred to Europe as a whole.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dreaded Walrus:

So "Continental", as far as the game is concerned, is "UK & Ireland", is it? Rather than Europe? And likewise with Scandinavia, South Europe e.t.c. being "continental"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fixed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dreaded Walrus:

So "Continental", as far as the game is concerned, is "UK & Ireland", is it? Rather than Europe? And likewise with Scandinavia, South Europe e.t.c. being "continental"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fixed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely continental would mean that this person is renowned throughout the entire continent and a house hold name. Similarly, worldwide would suggest everyone who knows anything about football on the planet would've heard of them, e.g. Kaka, Ronaldinho. National would mean that within the footballing 'world' of that nation he is well known. I checked on my game also, he starts with a national rep. So what the hell has he done in the last 3 seasons to make the footballing powerhouses sit up and take notice? Win away at Crewe?

Well when a manager wins a league in FM his reputation normally goes up a rung, so if he was at national when he won league one his reputation would have gone up to continental. For example I had rep of automatic and won Championship with coventry and my reputation went up to national but my assitant manager allready had national rep and went up to continental (which was rather annoying actually).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ATW:

The thing is why would Mowbray only be known in England (National) when he spent a bit of time in Scotland? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So "Continental", as far as the game is concerned, is "UK & Ireland", is it? Rather than Europe? And likewise with

I was never too sure about that.

I thought that "National" referred to the United Kingdom, Continental referred to Europe as a whole. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No such thing as the Nation of UK & Ireland in Football icon_rolleyes.gif so that is mis-labled (shocking I know) if that is what it means

No such thing as the Nation of UK & Ireland in Football icon_rolleyes.gif so that is mis-labled (shocking I know) if that is what it means </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If England = National rep, yet Continental rep = Europe, then there obviously has to be a bit of a middle ground between the two, where the game has to display either National or Continental (according to the game, "Regional reputation" means "a region of the country" therefore being below National rep, rather than meaning the same as the definition of region used for the Player Search screen (and scouting screen, and probably others), where "Africa" is one region, as is "Central America", and "UK and Ireland", and "Scandinavia", e.t.c.)

I think we both agree that Tony Mowbray is well-known in both Scotland and England (if anything, he may well be more known as a manager in Scotland), but obviously he isn't quite known across the entirety of Europe.

Perhaps a (slightly radical) way to solve this issue is to, rather than have a single Reputation score, where a reputation will, at one point, suddenly jump from National to Continental, have the game track reputation separately in each nation, similarly to how it currently tracks Scouting Knowledge.

Tony Mowbray would be known to a certain extent in both England and Scotland (and a slightly lesser extent in countries that influenced by those nations, such as Wales, similar to the current scouting model), while, say, Roy Hodgson, would be slightly well known in, Sweden, Switzerland, Denmark and Norway (having spent time managing in those countries), but more well known in Italy for his stints as Inter manager, in the United Arab Emirates and Finland for his time as national manager of those sides, and obviously in England.

Like I say, quite a radical proposal, and one that I don't see being noticed and/or implemented any time soon, but it would be interesting to see exactly which countries you, as a manager, are well-known in, just like it's nice to be able to see which countries you personally have knowledge in.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deadeyedunc:

He's at Spurs in my game and has won the CL at least once. Seems to be a managerial heavyweight in FM icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And in real life! (Although I am a West Brom fan, so I might be biased)

"Melting" Tony Mowbray. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Rossauskas

Similar thing happened in my game. By the time I left Hearts for Chelsea, Falkirk Manager John Hughes had a continental rep depsite his biggest achievement being finishing 4th in the SPL. I'd doubt he;d even have a national rep after that?

Archived